Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Do Oxygen Sensors fix themselves?

My car has been throwing P1153 or P0153 for a while...Heated Oxygen Sensor Insufficient Switching Bank 2 Sensor 1. I changed plugs and wires, cleaned the MAF and all of a sudden I am not getting ANY CODES??? My understanding of O2 Sensors is that upon startup, they switch from high to low frequency for about a minute during open loop and then go closed loop turning control over to the PCM. How does an O2 Sensor show bad countless times, and then just go good? Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, even though I have purchased two new Bosch 13111's, but was wondering if anyone on the technical staff might know the reasoning behind this?????
    Last edited by herculesrider1; 08-10-2013 at 07:03 PM.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

I've seen a dirty MAF throw some weird codes, but I've never seen it make o2 sensors come back to life...
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Agree. An O2 sender's performance will degrade over time, or they can suddenly fail with it unlikely that they simply "come back to life". The most common failure is probably a blown heater circuit. Each senser is equipped with a heating element that brings them up to operating temperature sooner. The PCM ignores the O2 senders on cold startup, but then when a specified coolant temp is reached it switches from open to closed loop and accepts sensor input from them. A properly functioning O2 sender's voltage should rapidly cycle up and down with around 450 mV being the moving target as that generally represents a stoichiometric air/fuel mixture. A sender with a stagnant or slow signal is usually a sign that it needs replaced. As the PCM expects to see a certain range of operation from the O2 senders, something that causes them to run outside this parameter (other than a bad O2) may cause a false O2 sender code to be set.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Once an O2 sensor is gone, it is gone. Think of it as a paper air filter or a used oil filter. The sensors get dirty inside and that's it.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Red

Precisely the motivation behind my question. That is exactly what the code was saying..."Heated O2 sensor insufficient switching". Therefore is it a correct assumption that after so long, the computer will just stop throwing codes? I wouldn't think so. But the fact remains...it was throwing the P1153 code right and left, but now it is not. IF O2 sensors DO NOT come back into the preset parameters, once they register outside of those parameters, why is mine doing what everyone is saying it can't? Is it a miracle? May be.... I appreciate all the input and I don't want to sound ungrateful, because I value this site and it's members, just confused is all.... Thank you!
    Ported/Polished throttle body, Lingenfelter launch module, SLP line lock, QTP exhaust cutout, LS7 clutch, K&N, Ceramic coated longtubes, no cats, 3" exhaust, Flowmaster "B", Eibach springs, Midwest Chassis 9" rearend w/4.10's

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    Precisely the motivation behind my question. That is exactly what the code was saying..."Heated O2 sensor insufficient switching". Therefore is it a correct assumption that after so long, the computer will just stop throwing codes? I wouldn't think so. But the fact remains...it was throwing the P1153 code right and left, but now it is not. IF O2 sensors DO NOT come back into the preset parameters, once they register outside of those parameters, why is mine doing what everyone is saying it can't? Is it a miracle? May be.... I appreciate all the input and I don't want to sound ungrateful, because I value this site and it's members, just confused is all.... Thank you!
    If the computer stops throwing a code it is because of this:

A code is thrown because it detects a condition after so many engine cycles. The code will go away on its own if the condition is no longer found after so many engine cycles as well. It would be possible if you fixed something else that was the actual cause of the code for it to just go away after the amount of required engine cycles if the condition was no longer detected. But no O2 sensors do not fix themselves.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Red

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    If the computer stops throwing a code it is because of this:

A code is thrown because it detects a condition after so many engine cycles. The code will go away on its own if the condition is no longer found after so many engine cycles as well. It would be possible if you fixed something else that was the actual cause of the code for it to just go away after the amount of required engine cycles if the condition was no longer detected. But no O2 sensors do not fix themselves.
    I agree Will, an O2 Sensor should not be able to fix itself. The code specifically stated Insufficient Switching...in other words a 'lazy' sensor. Automatic replacement. I wouldn't think new plugs and wires and a cleaned MAF sensor would stop an O2 sensor from being 'lazy'. But the code stopped. I had already ordered new O2's, so when I got them I went ahead and installed them. Thanks for the input....

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Also to add the problem could be intermittent. I wouldn't think so in this case but I would suppose it is possible and that could cause the problem to "go away".

Thread Information