'98,'00-B 93,03,11,14-V

Dilemma- To sell or not to sell ....

Ok so this is little off topic but, it does take into consideration that I already have a powerful LS1 that takes car of my power need.

Here's the story - I'll try to keep it as short as I can.

Back in 2003 I had a 300ZX Turbo. Fantantic condition. I also owned my '98 since new as well. The Z was bought to keep miles off of the Bird.
    It did that very well.

Then, the wife approved an upgrade from the 300ZX. A new 2004 350Z at the time. I have been using that as a commute car for a few years but, only put on 17K miles over the past 4 years.

So, two weeks ago my Z get rear ended and we now access 17K worth of damage. The insurance company hasn't totalled the car yet but, I could take the car part it out and buy a Civic that gets 35mpg. So, I really liked the Z but, I do have another power car.

Therefore, it make sense to take the cash, part out the car and buy a Civic Coupe on 1.9% and make money on the 17-24K that I get from insurance.

Then after 5 years I can get back into a Z maybe with the profit and then a little cash get a top of the line. Who knows ????

However, the options are:

1. Completely repainted 350Z with CF hood, newer LED rear tails, and maybe CF hatch. But, no cash.

2. Buy the Civic Coupe on 1.9 and watch the money grow and get better mpg than the Z. Quite nice car. I'll post pictures at the bottom.
    The insurance company to give me 17K + Z to part out for my money.

3. Make sure they total the Z for $24K, buy Civic on 1.9 financing.

4. Repair the Z and drive it into the ground. It will have had frame damage. But fairly minor so it shouldn't cause tire wear etc...

None of these options are horrid at this point especially since I have the Bird for power runs. So, I don't think I need a Z anymore. I think I need a good gas car for commuting. I'll miss the Z .... but ....

So here are the pictures of the cars and then the wreck. Anybody else have a better idea? Other points of view?
    I wish I could sell the damaged car complete for like $10K. Don't really see that happening. Maybe I'll turn it into a track car.

Civic EX - Power everything, nice stereo, sunroof 38mpg 26 City

350Z - Almost as much power as the Bird and gets 30mpg on freeway 20 City

Bird - 360rwhp blast to drive a bit tough to park during the week around town and I want to keep forever. 28mpg hi-way, 17 around town.

The wrecked Z:

Here's a picture of the 300ZX Turbo the 350Z replaced just before I sold her:

I think having a high mileage nice Civic and power of the Bird and cash in the bank is the smart play right.

Or, maybe I could also turn the Z into a track car in a few months instead of parting or selling salvage.

Don't know.... It's 3am and I can't sleep. I really can't believe this decision is so hard. I guess I'll sleep on it.

I close by saying I never though I'd own a Honda Civic.... I'm almost embarassed to say so.

Last edited by Mecinoid; 05-22-2008 at 02:40 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Too bad about the Z, that was a beautiful car.

With gas the way it is though, I think I'd try to get into that Civic.

Option 3 sounds good, just because parting out is a hassle, just think of all the time you'll spend spend online and boxing stuff up to ship.

I always hated Civics too, but at this point I wouldn't mind having one myself.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I agree, too bad about the Z. Sounds like great gas MPG is a priority, so my opinion is get an older Civic, not the new gay style. You will save money, look around for a stick shift, better mileage and more fun. These cars get 200,000 miles easy if they are even halfway maintained. Much cheaper initially, and you will have $$$ for mods on other things. A coworker bought a 1996 Civic, he drives 58 miles each way to work, and he is getting 38-40 MPG. He was averaging 28 in his '98 Bonneville, but it died with 265k on it. Unless you just have to have the new car warranty for a car that won't have any warranty issues.........

pewter
    00 TA m6 vert

If it were me I would try to get the insurance co. to total the Z for as much as you can, and let them keep it. Put some $$$ in the bank, put some $$$ in the bird and buy a used civic.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Actually used is a great idea. I don't mind the way the new Civics look on the outside, but I think the dash is horrible. Besides that though, you can save a good amount of money if you go with a slightly used edition of the old body style. A friend of mine has one, it's a 2000 with over 200k on it. She's had work done to it, but nothing major in all that time. And looking at and riding in it, no way you'd think it's got over 200k on it.

'98,'00-B 93,03,11,14-V

Quote Originally Posted by DOCJHH45 View Post
    If it were me I would try to get the insurance co. to total the Z for as much as you can, and let them keep it. Put some $$$ in the bank, put some $$$ in the bird and buy a used civic.
    Actually, probably the right way to go. But, I now found out that Z's are on sale this weekend. They have never to my knowledge given 2.9% on a Z and sold them $600 under invoice. So, if I get the confirmation on the total. I think I'll get some of that 2.9% money and buy a 2008 Z .... Hum San Marino Blue would be nice.

Then of course I'll keep modding the Bird and the JEEP and the F100 and the Z too many cars. However, the wife is cool with it all. I mean you can have a 350Z and a Bird for the price of a Vette that she can't see out anyways or, I would have had a Vette already.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Unless you're driving 100 miles a day or more, what the point of having a Civic (yuk). I'd rather have an Impala or Grand Prix as a DD. No offense intended here, just my opinion.

'98,'00-B 93,03,11,14-V

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Unless you're driving 100 miles a day or more, what the point of having a Civic (yuk). I'd rather have an Impala or Grand Prix as a DD. No offense intended here, just my opinion.
    That's exactly the problem two days a week 52miles each way to work. Then Three times a week 75 mile each way. Plus, driving between sites as needed.

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

If you're willing to get an ugly car just for the mpg, get a Prius.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

The new lancer is much nicer looking, handles great, has an awesome sound system, and has a good amount of power. i'd test drive one of those. its a real surpriser. it even has a lot of room in it. much different than the old.

oh, and for the love of god, don't get a prius. they NEVER get the money back. not over what you could pay for, say a mazda 3 which looks much nicer and gets good mpg too. if you are that concerned about gas mileage, get a diesel and enjoy your 70-80 mpg.

3-Time F-Body Offender doozjamann's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

If you're running faster than 55mph you're not gonna see much difference. Most cars are rated for mpg at 55. When you run faster you almost never get the rated mpg. I'm sure in Cali you're running 75+, so I'd go with the Z less strain on the motor, when you pull hills, and good pickup for merging in traffic.

'98,'00-B 93,03,11,14-V

I actually run the speed limit or a tick or two over. So, that 68mph-70mph max in my commute car. Now, on HWY 5 in the Bird I'll run 75+ since the speed limit is 70mph out there. Civic will not see those speeds.

I ended up getting a Civic Si. Getting 27 in town and 35 on the hwy so far.

Prius - Battery replacement down the road looked too costly. Plus they are too proud of it right now. No Deals. Honda gave me 600 under invoice and 1.9% for 36mos.
    Perfect for me coming out of a Z car. It's better than the 300ZX Turbo I had which started this whole thing. ;-)

Here's a picture. I think I'll have to get new wheels though:

200HP - 2600lbs - LSD FWD - Good Gas Mileage - It will work ONLY because I still have my Formula. Drove the Formula yesterday. That car is insane still .... never will need more than that on the street for me. ;-)
    Last edited by Mecinoid; 06-03-2008 at 08:49 PM.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Civic SI FTL, j/k. That is a nice DD with good MPG.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by Mecinoid View Post
    I actually run the speed limit or a tick or two over. So, that 68mph-70mph max in my commute car. Now, on HWY 5 in the Bird I'll run 75+ since the speed limit is 70mph out there. Civic will not see those speeds.

Prius - Battery replacement down the road looked too costly. Plus they are too proud of it right now. No Deals. Honda gave me 600 under invoice and 1.9% for 36mos.
    Perfect for me coming out of a Z car. It's better than the 300ZX Turbo I had which started this whole thing. ;-)

Click for full size

200HP - 2600lbs - LSD FWD - Good Gas Mileage - It will work ONLY because I still have my Formula. Drove the Formula yesterday. That car is insane still .... never will need more than that on the street for me. ;-)
    That is a pretty clean looking car. Me and my wife decided on a 2008 SS cobalt for Gas Mileage reasons (she was driving a 2006 Charger R/T 15 MPG in town 19 Highway... 4.25 for premium here). I am hoping the mileage is not too bad because of the turbo, but it will be better than the charger for sure.
    Last edited by wooddaniel; 06-03-2008 at 10:17 PM.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Click for full size

OMG you have gone over to the dark side........what size wheels, 22s? How big of a fart cannon are you going to put on the exhaust? Don't make us come over there and smash you LOL! Anyway, I bet your gas mileage will rise once the car is totally broken in.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

huh, honda rates the SI at a pathetic 21 city/29 highway.

Thread Information