2000 Trans Am

Diablo sport tuner or hypertech tuner.........

I wanna purchase a tuner should I go with diablo sport or hypertech power programmer III???.....or something different........i just got a new transmission in......it's an automatic.......and i want to change the shift points.....

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I wouldn't honestly buy either, but definately the Diablo is much better than the HPP3
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I wouldn't honestly buy either, but definately the Diablo is much better than the HPP3
    I don't really need to but here is the problem.......i just got a new transmission put in and when i get on it and get into the higher rpm ranges it redlines for a long time before it wants to shift......the guy that put in the transmission says the computer if off and that i got to get a tuner to re do my shift points...does this sound right to you.....i had a rebuilt 9 clutch transmission with shift kit put in.........

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

yes that can definatly be right. I would tell you to either buy a used tuner, diablo is definatly better (i have owned both) or find a local tuner. The local tuner would be the way to go because they can open up and look at all the perimeters on your car and let you know if there is a tuning problem and can fix it for you. This should not cost near as much as a full dyno tune. With the hypertech you can adjust the shift points a little bit and redo your gear ratio and tire size to adjust yoru speedometer but that is really all that thing is good for. The Diablo can change alot more perimeters, i am not going to list them since they are on the website.

2000 Trans Am

So you think that my shift points may be messed up since i got the new transmission and that my computer may be reading wrong then?????....also where would i call to see if they have a tuner?

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

it is a definate possibility. look in the phonebook o ask around for a reputable speed shop in the area. anyplace that advertises that they have a dyno call them and tell them you are looking to have an LS1 tuned and they should point you in the right direction.

2000 Trans Am

Since you are so knowledgeable maybe you can help me with one more thing......i just recently got an slp lid and slp smmooth bellows for my intake.......i am having a hard time getting the lid to fit right.......any suggestions? the smooth bellows fits fine!

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

I personally dont have a lid since I have a raptor hood but my freind has one on his firehawk and he said he had difficulties getting it on and you just have to work with it. He eventually got his to slide on.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

here is someone elses experience with the Lid.

SLP lid installed! My comments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I received my new SLP lid yesterday and installed it that night onto my '01 WS6. Here are my comments and pictures are to follow in another post:

1) Getting the stock air resonator off the MAF was a royal pain in the ass. I had to use a flathead screw driver, silicon spray lubricant, and a lot of elbow grease to get it off. I also snapped the air resonator a bit taking it off. Maybe I was going about it the wrong way, but taking it off was a fairly straightforward arrangement. Just tough.

2) Getting my new SLP onto the MAF was a bigger bitch! It took a lot of pushing, and eventually a rubber mallet to hammer it on. I don't know how I'll ever get it off again if I need to, but perhaps the engine heating it up will make it "looser." I obviously used a worm clamp to keep it in place just in case this is so.

3) The grommet on the driver's side to hold the AIR tube does not hold the 90Degree elbow tightly. I'm not sure if I should find a tighter grommet or a bigger elbow. I question it's ability to keep it sealed.

4) The fit once everything was hooked up was tight, but perfect. The lid's front lip fits into the INSIDE of the airbox like it's supposed to.

Overall I'm very happy with this purchase, with the exception of that elbow. The performance reward was immediate after rehooking the battery and letting the PCM adjust for 10 minutes and a few revs. Throttle response is indeed better! Power is nice too, but it was before

2000 Trans Am

Thanks i appreciate your help

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

no problem man

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

Something else to keep in mind with the HT programmer: I bought one a while back when I changed rear end gears and tire size to get the speedo set right. What Hypertech WON'T tell you is if you want to shift the car yourself (like I do during autocrossing or road racing) their power programmer does not let you shift yourself...it will hold the car in whatever gear you had it last in and bang it off the rev limiter a few times before allowing it to shift. After 3 calls to Hypertech's tech line talking about the issue, one guy finally said they know the problem is there, but they are not doing any research to fix it since so few people complain about the issue.

My fix: when racing, I reflash the computer with the stock tire size and gear rations...then there are no issues. Reflash again once done racing with mods, then the speedo is right, but shifting is off if shifting manually.

Bottom line: buying the Hypertech will not fix your shift points as you describe; a tune would work better.

Sorry about the lengthy response, one needs to rant now and again.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Diablo all the way as far as handhelds go...the hypertech doesn't do anything compared to it.

As far as the lid...make sure the front lip of the lid is inside the lip of the lower air box.

Thread Information