Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deep thought

black
    1999 camaro z28

Red face deep thought

for all the firebird owners:
    what made you choose your FIREBIRD over the CAMARO?

i've hade 2 v6 camaro's and a LS1 camaro but never really chose them, i bought 1 v6 for $800.00 (1997) the other for $1,200.00 (1998) and the LS1 for $3,800.00 (1999) so it was clearly a matter of cost for me, because i do love the firebirds too, and my wife will only allow me to have one f-body since i have a vette(98), mustang(94), and a honda cbr(01). i think the 4th gen firebirds may be the overall nicest, but my loyalty is kinda with the camaro. but let me add that i have inherited a 1983 firebird w/a 350 in it. but this doesn't count as it still remains with my father, since he hasn't died. she really just wants more room at the house. i would like to pass this car down to my son, like my dad passed his down to me.

let me know how you made the decision.
    AMERICAN muscle

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Firebird Formula

Honestly? Other than the first gen Camaro, I think the Firebird looks better than the Camaro. In the second gen, there isn't that much of a difference, but it's enough for me, and the third and fourth hands down look better.

So for me, it's completely based on looks. I'm a shallow car guy.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

the fourth gen firebirds just have more of a agressive and more loud muscle car look. i think most fire chicken owners would agree with my statement..they just look sooo mean ..espec. with fat rears

black
    1999 camaro z28

true true, the more polished, fit and finished look of the firebird does it for me (especially the interior)...camaro's have a more classic look (2nd gen) but it is 2006...

Red
    '02 WS6

Camaros look like over grown Neons especially the LT1 Camaros. (I ordered a new one in '93 and put 100,000 miles on it) The Ram Air Trans Ams look muscular and are by far my favorite vehicle.
    current cars:
    '02 WS6
    '71 Cutlass SX/455
    Bike:
    YZ 450F
    previous cars
    another '71 Cutlass SX (sold it in '81)
    '69 Camaro cp (sold it in '83)
    '93 Z28 ("" '99)
    '84 Z28 turned into IROC clone ("" '01)

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Just BADASS looking and it hangs out with the Stealth fighter
    Last edited by Hurley711; 11-22-2006 at 07:13 PM.

Drive it like its stolen gillahoon's Avatar

White
    1998 Trans Am

The bird just looks like it better made, better fit and finish and looks much more sexy.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by gillahoon View Post
    The bird just looks like it better made, better fit and finish and looks much more sexy.
    thats becuase it was pontiac's flag ship...the maro wasnt chevys..it was always the vette

black
    1999 camaro z28

i've posed the same question to camaro owners, and although there have been 8 people to look at it, no one has answer as to why they chose the camaro over the 'bird...i am wondering why? is this lack of confidence? i mean my favorite all time car is the '67-'69 z28 and will have one just like the one pictured (avatar) but it is 2006, and short of waiting for the 2009 camaro is the best value a late model 4th gen firebird?

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by +throw back+ View Post
    i've posed the same question to camaro owners, and although there have been 8 people to look at it, no one has answer as to why they chose the camaro over the 'bird...i am wondering why? is this lack of confidence? i mean my favorite all time car is the '67-'69 z28 and will have one just like the one pictured (avatar) but it is 2006, and short of waiting for the 2009 camaro is the best value a late model 4th gen firebird?
    its becuase most maro owners understand and agree with what we have said.

black
    2002 TA WS7

i always thought the firebird/trans am was a better lookin car, more aggressive lookin

Pewter
    2000 WS6 A4

I've always loved them both. Years ago i had a '70 Firebird, '77 Z28, an '87 Iroc, and now a '00 WS6, all are great in one way or another.

As far as first gens go they're both hot , but you see less birds.

Second gen for the first three years, both are extremely sexy. As far as the rest of gen 2, I'd have to go with a camaro.

Third generation??? I can't say much for either, that body style just never grabbed me. I did own an 87 Iroc, but it was just ok. The day I bought it, I was actualy on my way to pick up an 87 T/A GTA. I stopped and looked at the camaro, and the guy cut me such a good deal I couldn't pass it up. So I guess I'm undecided, suppose it would depend on the year. Although in '87 I would have rather had the GTA...

Fourth gen. Up 'till '98 I would have gone with the camaro. As far as '98 to '02 there is no way in hell I would own anything but a Bird. Look at the lines, the front end, etc... They just SCREAM Sex!!!
    Last edited by Thorazine Shuffle; 11-18-2006 at 01:37 PM.

Red
    '02 WS6

that '87 GTA was a pretty cool car. I nearly bought an '89 but passed 'cause it had some issues that I did not want to mess with at the time. Back in the early eighties I restored a '69 Camaro and had fun driving it. Get this though, I sold that car in '82 for 1500U$. In '91 I bought an '84 Z28 that had the front end knocked off. Several years later I rebuilt the entire car and went with '92 305 TPI, built the TH700R4, installed a disc rear with gears and posi and hung IROC ground effects and wheels and tires, 36 MM hollow front sway bar and urethane bushings all around. At the same time I owned a '93 Z28 and having driven both at the same time I can tell you that I liked the feel of the third gen way better then the early fourth. Now I have the '02 and it is light years better then the '93 and I am never gonna sell it. But, if I ever get a chance to buy back my third gen I would do it in a heart beat.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Firebird Formula

I think one reason to go with a Chevy over a Pontiac is that from what I've been told, the Pontiacs just lose value horribly compared to anything else, and Chevys aren't quite as bad. But, that usually doesn't cross anyone's mind.

I always heard a lot more about Camaros when I was in high school, and very little about Firebirds. I knew one kid that drive a 93-97 body style Camaro, and always thought it looked cheap and all. I dunno, I've always thought the 93-97 f-bodys were all ugly, but I stll would have taken a Firebird over a Camaro just because of the way the tail lights looked.

Do Firebirds/Trans Ams sell for more?

bright red
    2002 T/A WS.6

when i first started looking for a new car a few months ago i kept seeing this yellow fire hawk running around and it was love at first sight. i had to have a T/A ram air. i did some searching on autotrader (they are very hard to find around here in NH) and found a red T/A w/ a 6 speed. was exactly what i wanted. rushed over there and they had sold it that morning. but they got in a babied 2000 Z-28 w/ a M6 so i scooped it up due to the condition and miliage. i loved that car but as fate had it someone cut me off 3 weeks into having it and sent me out of control trying to oviod the ass hat. this was on oct 25. long story short i picked up a 2002 T/A WS.6 2 weeks later w/ 20,000 and in show room condition. it was actualy in the show room. its not an M6 but its something i just couldnt pass up. but ya, thats how i ended up w/ my camaro. and i loved it. here is some pics of my new toy.

bright red
    2002 T/A WS.6

Do Firebirds/Trans Ams sell for more?[/QUOTE]

T/A's sell for a shit load more. blue book on my T/A was $21,000. Book on the 2000 Z-28 i had (w/ 35,000 miles and mint condition) was only $13,700.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Enough said....

Last edited by Mr. Luos; 11-18-2006 at 04:27 PM.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Pewter
    2000 WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Enough said....

Click for full size

Click for full size
    How many inches is your car lowered? That thing looks bad ass...

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Eibach ProKit.
    Probably about 2" total drop once the springs settle.

The drag wheels make it ride lower in the front as the tires are a bit shorter. Clearance is actually a problem when I am riding on those.
    Thanks!

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Enough said....

Click for full size

Click for full size
    damn straight.. lol baby there is no need for words

Thread Information