Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

Unhappy Decision time...is she worth saving?

All right guys, I've followed this forum ever since I bought my 01 Pewter WS-6 after college in 2007. She has about 73K on the clock and this past Sunday she developed a loud tap sound. My first inclincation was a lifter and I took into a shop on Tuesday (parked since I first heard the sound, earliest they could see me). They called me today and said they don't think it is a lifter, but that it is on the bottom of the motor, possibly a bearing. He is suggesting he drop the oil pan to check, but tells me that anything he finds wrong would require dropping the shaft and pulling the motor in order to fix. If that is the case, he tells me it will likely cost about as much a just replacing the motor. I knew the repair would be expensive, but I was think around $1-2K, not $5K.

My question to you all is what should I do?
    A. Fix this motor
    B. Replace this motor
    C. Scrap the car and buy a new one
    D. Drive the car home, park it, buy a new DD and one day fix it (myself or o/w)

Also, how much could I even get for the car? I'd rather not part it out.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Since you had 2k in your mind on the high end i would suggest first comfirming there "Diagnostic work". Can you post up a sound clip? Or have another shop confirm the Diagnosis.
    You can pick up a used motor with low miles for around 1500.00. I would say get a few buddies together and make it a project. Personaly i woudnt sell it. If you do you will regret it every time you see a TA.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Replace it with an LS2 or something!

white
    2000 Z28

lq9 is a 6.0 and a direct swap. i find them under 2k and have yet to see one in my area that was supposedly over 40k. ls1 should be cheaper but has higher miles and some raise the price because they just all happen to be corvette motors from a camaro. ls6 is a direct swap and 3k as a new crate motor with warranty. or if you want tsp has stroker motors from the lq9 that are 400+ci if you have big plans for the car.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

How reputable is this shop? Bearing's usually don't just go bad with out some other problems first. I would stop this guy from working on it further for the time being. Try posting a video of the sound, that might help people tell you things to look for. Replacing a motor, or tearing it down past the shortblock for a sound isn't usually the first step in diagnosing This could be a cheaper fix then you planned, if your able to do some work and diagnosing yourself and maybe with friends.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

dude...a ws6 is always worth saving...no matter what the problem is! if it is fixable, then fix it!! "scrapping" the car should never be an option. like previously said, you can find replacement engines at a fair price. and also be aware that most shops will tell you what they can to get the most work out of your car. since it is tapping, most people assume the worst anyway. ive seen a flywheel make a tapping sound, and it was assumed to be a bearing.

pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

have someone else check it out like said above bearing usually dont jus go out with out some other problem, if u sell it u WILL REGRET IT!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

yes I overheated my Mark VIII and literally threw the car away rather than diagnose. taps and knocks are the worst sounds you could ever want to hear. I simply didn't have the time to worry about it. Needed a car within 2 days so fixing whatever it might have been was just not an option.... for all i know it could have been an easy fix... car wasn't blowing smoke or running rough.... just making a racket.

Like others have said a WS6 is always worth saving. Use this as an opportunity to mod a little. get the lq9 or stretch your 2k to 3 and go for a crate Ls6. you end up with a sweet unique ride... how many LS6 WS6's are there??? or 6.0L birds??

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

Wow, everyone thinks I should keep it...didn't see that coming!

I've had time to process since the phone call, and I'm leaning towards fixing it. Right now the shop wants to drop the oil pan and see whats going on on the bottom of the engine. He's going to call me back with some prices before doing any work. I trust him, and I don't think he's trying to screw me, but I'm sure some people won't believe me.

Way I see it, replacing the motor is probably $5K (I'm not looking for crazy power, just something a little better that will still be daily drivable) and if push came to shove and I had to sell it, I think $8-9K might be possible with the new motor, so I'd get the new money I put into it back. The car is paid for, and I do have the money. The problem is I'm getting married in 7 months and trying to buy a house (hopefully before the end of April, I want my Obama money as a first time homebuyer).

I like the weekend project idea, but I'm not especially confident, its my only car, and I'd have to work on it somewhere else (my condo doesn't permit it...yeah, I know it sucks, hence why I want a house).

I'll keep you guys in the loop and will try to post what the mechanic recommends before giving the greenlight. Thanks for all the help!!!

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    yes I overheated my Mark VIII and literally threw the car away rather than diagnose. taps and knocks are the worst sounds you could ever want to hear. I simply didn't have the time to worry about it. Needed a car within 2 days so fixing whatever it might have been was just not an option.... for all i know it could have been an easy fix... car wasn't blowing smoke or running rough.... just making a racket.

Like others have said a WS6 is always worth saving. Use this as an opportunity to mod a little. get the lq9 or stretch your 2k to 3 and go for a crate Ls6. you end up with a sweet unique ride... how many LS6 WS6's are there??? or 6.0L birds??
    some did come with ls6 block and/or intake...

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

get a second opinion and go from there

midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

Look at it like this man... The economy is tough right now. Any work he does puts money in his pocket. I would get 4 or 5 different opinions.

Is the mechanic ase certified?

Depending on price I would buy new motor and fix the one you got... upgrade the hell out of it and sell it.

For instance in my quad motor... I bought a motor for my Raptor that was bored out cammed PnP basically the works for $1400 Labor and parts alone was $2000 I sold my stock motor for $800 therfore the cost of my new improved motor was only $600

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    /facepalm

true.... but LS6 block or not.... they were still LS1 internals and the diff doesn't show up on the dyno.

I'll clarify.... how many people can claim they have a 405hp true LS6 in their WS6

inb4 Spaz

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

it sounds like you trust the guy and it's your money

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Lol ASE Certified, thats funny im sorry but these days that doesnt mean much. If you can read and understand the proper use of a screwdriver you can pick up your ASE Cert.
    If you trust the Shop/Tech, then do what you have to do. Keep us posted bud.
    J

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    the ones that came with the ls6 block also had the ls6 intake. 01 and 02 cars all had the intake and few got the block.

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    /facepalm

true.... but LS6 block or not.... they were still LS1 internals and the diff doesn't show up on the dyno.

I'll clarify.... how many people can claim they have a 405hp true LS6 in their WS6

inb4 Spaz
    Ha! Yea I was just bein a smartass. Sorry guys lol

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I used to have a black '00 TA. Bought it with 7400 miles on it. I had to get rid of it before I went to Iraq bc I had a baby boy on the way and rear facing car seats don't go well in our rides. I regretted it every day after. When the boy turned 3, I got my current TA and IT WILL NOT BE SOLD AGAIN. You'll end up regretting it man. Alternative solution: Buy a dependable DD for $3k while you rebuild your new bulletproof motor at your leisure... Or just fix it now.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Keep the car and BUILD. IMO if the body is straight and strong, then just replace the heart. That is all.

Yellow
    02 CETA#732

Doesn't the LS1 have a rep for being kind of a noisy motor anyway?

I've noticed numerous LS1 cars that ran very strong but also had a knock at idle or mild acceleration.

My car for example has a noticeable knock below 1000 rpm which disappears above 1000 rpm, I just figured this was common.

Could the noise just be an unusually louder variation of the 'common' knock? (or am I just wishful thinking).

Thread Information