Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dash Pad

RED
    1998 Camaro SS Vert

Dash Pad

Hey everyone, I just picked up a 1997 Trans-am WS6. The car only has 29K miles, but the dash pad is cracked. Does anyone know how this plastic piece fits in? Is it just clips, or would I need to take the entire dash apart to get it off and install a new one. Also, Has anyone tried a plastic Dash Pad cover I found it on eBay. It sounds good but I don't know if it will look right. Has anyone ever used one of these replacements? Here is the link for what I found on eBay...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Any help, or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Drivin It Like I Stole It JWSmythe's Avatar

Pewter
    '00 TransAm WS/6

Cracked Dash

Mine has significant cracks in the dash also. It's the curse of having it out in the sun, and living somewhere between 27 to 34 degrees North. (latitudes, not temperatures). From what I read, you just take the A-pillar covers off, and it should just come out. By the pictures I've seen, there are a couple clips up by the windshield. Since it's cracked, you can be a bit rough taking it out. It'll be more to fix though.

Do a Google search for "firebird cracked dash vinyl", and you'll find instructions with pictures on covering the dash in vinyl. If you use a vinyl that can handle UV, it'll probably last for the life of the car. You should be able to match the vinyl up to the interior, so it'll look stock. I'd rather spend $20 and a little spare time, than $100 and almost as much time.

Since they don't include a lot of instructions on the removal, I'm guessing it pretty much falls out.

I'm going to re-cover mine myself, when I have a weekend and no plans.

silver
    2000 formula

remove the pillar plastic on both sides.....2 screws at the top ...you can see them after you remove the t tops...then jus slowly pull them straight out....only 1 clip holds them in...then pull up on dash slowly.....unclip the security light in the middle of the dash and if you have 1.....the DRL sensor..they are both together....there are clips underneath on the bottom of the dash in the front and velcro in the rear....most likely the clips on the front will be broken where the dash plastic inserts into the clips...all of mine were.......i was gunna try to glue mine.....it was just cracked......but i later broke it in 2...so i sed puck it and bought a new 1..........GM still has em.......300$......just did it yesterday.....took 3 min to put the new 1 in..........me happy now
    Last edited by sjsingle1; 06-16-2010 at 08:37 PM.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

congrads on the car. I sure do miss when my car was in its 20's

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

PM sent with link....

RED
    1998 Camaro SS Vert

Hey guys, thanks for all the info. I ordered a new piece from GM today. It cost me $275.00 But I want it to look perfect, even though the dealer puts it to you. Thanks again for everything. I'll be installing it this weekend.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Too bad you ordered a new one from GM their is a site we got a couplee from before for like $150 or $170 and they were factory GM.
    I have gotten a few factory replacment parts from them and save up to 50% off dealer price.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Black
    1999 Firebird

Click on it if you can not see it but is this the crack you guys are talking about if so I would really appreciate some help on where to get a new dash besides the dealership (Meaning I'm Cheap). Thanks

White
    1998 Trans Am

PM sent since their not a sponser but I don't think that we have any here with these factory parts.

silver
    2000 formula

mine cracked a little to the right of that...........the 1 i got new the other days was diff than my old 1...different PN and less padding... diff bottom clips and more flat black than my glossy old 1....maybe a redesign????.........dont know of any aftermarket

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    mine cracked a little to the right of that...........the 1 i got new the other days was diff than my old 1...different PN and less padding... diff bottom clips and more flat black than my glossy old 1....maybe a redesign????.........dont know of any aftermarket
    They differ depending on year you know.

black
    1995 transam

Again I will post this link for those who don't want to pony up the $ for a new pad, have a little bit of creativity. ls1lt1.com when you get there do a search under the tag line "dash pad fixed" and it will lead you to a post with instructions on how to recover the dash pad and have it look like new for about $30 Don't forget to answer the stupid random question when you do your search.
    Last edited by Cutlass; 06-26-2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Removed direct link other forum

Pewter
    '00 TransAm WS/6

That last link looks similar to the one I posted earlier. I think I like his fiberglass method though. Messier to do, but it'd probably hold up very well.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Will fiberglass and plastic bond? Or do you need to use a special type of resin?

black
    1995 transam

yes either polyester or epoxy resin will bond to plastic. The key is to clean the plastic with acetone or lacquer thinner, sand the area to be repaired with course sand paper like 60 or 80 grit. then clean the area again with the above cleaners.

Pewter
    '00 TransAm WS/6

Quote Originally Posted by cocobolo95 View Post
    yes either polyester or epoxy resin will bond to plastic. The key is to clean the plastic with acetone or lacquer thinner, sand the area to be repaired with course sand paper like 60 or 80 grit. then clean the area again with the above cleaners.
    The magic of making anything stick. Dirty or too smooth, it won't. Clean and a little rough works wonders.

Red
    98 Trans Am

mine cracked right down the middle in the last few months being in germany. Stupid cobblestone roads. Not aure if i want to glue it together and then cover it or repair it and then make it look custom. Id rather not get a new one, at least not while im in germany. Id be afraid that it would break on the way over here lol.

Oh and you can stick fiberglass to just about anything with a little scuffing. You can even put it on metal. we learned how to fiberglass patch on an old chevy blazer when i was in Metalworker school for the army lol

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

2 sq yards of vinyl and some spare time:

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    2 sq yards of vinyl and some spare time:

Click for full size

Click for full size
    thats not too bad. imagine what it could look like with the ends tucked in but thats better than my grand canyon going down the middle of my dash.

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    Too bad you ordered a new one from GM their is a site we got a couplee from before for like $150 or $170 and they were factory GM.
    I have gotten a few factory replacment parts from them and save up to 50% off dealer price.
    Mine is cracked as well. Could you please pm me that link as well? Thanks!

Thread Information