Thread: Dash

Dash

Anyone have one of those dash caps? Would like to see if they look decent. I would think at $150 someone could mold an original instead of a cover.

$150 doesn't sound bad for a cover. If someone were to still make the entire dash rather than a simple cap it would likely cost upwards of $800 plus. It's enormous, I'd hate to think of the costs.

If you are looking for something cheaper than $150, then the dash mat might be a better option. Popular out west here to keep the sun from tearing up the interior. They only cost in the $40 range from Dashmat. Most I've seen actually look pretty nice.

Dash

I would like to see how a cover looks on our cars before I buy one. You can buy an original dash piece for $400-500. I bet gm popped those out for next to nothing though.

If you can find an OEM dash for $4-$500 that's a steal. Considering I'll spend upwards of $1500 for a dash on a classic car and they are no where near the size of a 4th gen dash.

If you've ever pulled one out of a 4th gen they are enormous in size, alot of molded plastic, it encompasses the glove box etc..designed to hold the passenger side air bag and more things than I can mention. They are very complex. I can't imagine GM popping these out for next to nothing.

The carpeted dash mats don't look bad. I see them in daily drivers here all the time. They are mainly used to protect the dash from the extreme sun we have here, but I guess they could also be used to hide blemishes and cracks already present.

I actually have thought about putting one in my 2005 sliverado. That dash has a large passenger side dip in the dash designed for people to set things in. However while driving anything up there slides around. A carpeted pad would stop that. I can't say however I've seen one in a 4th gen, but I know they are made. Just not enough of those things running around here to notice.

You are thinking of a different piece. Mine is plastic and does not have anything to do with the airbag. I think you are talking about the soft padded piece that faces you when driving. Piece I am talking about touches the windshield.

Ah okay, when you say dash I think of the entire enchalada. Talking of the plastic piece up on the flat portion now makes more sense to me.

The dashmat I spoke of covers all that and actually also comes forward enough to cover some of the front padded portion as well, and stops just before it makes the downward turn. Security light and all vent openings are already made into the cover.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I was lucky to find a very good condition OEM dash pad(the plastic part you are looking) on Ebay. I paid around $160 delivered. I noticed you live in Florida, Do you live close to Orlando area? There is a local place that parts out fbodies and he sells tons of parts for reasonable prices.

I have used this guy a lot and saved big bucks. I have a black dash mat( the one that covers the plastic piece only). I used it when my original dash pad cracked and I needed to cover it up. Is this what you are looking to see how it looks installed? I can take a picture of it on my dash pad.

Thread Information