Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Cutting out hood baffles?

I was wondering if anyone has done this before, or if there is a instruction manual on the web somewhere, I am interested in doing this on my WS6 and want to see how it is done first. Any info would be great!!

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Don't have to do any cutting - just drill out the rivets that hold the baffles to the hood...
    2000 Phoenix WS6 Trans Am
    Pride of Western PA Car Shows

426RWHP/418RWTQ N/A (Mustang Dyno MD-1750)
    584RWHP/510RWTQ Massaged by TNT (Mustang Dyno MD-1750)

Dreamin of a Paint Job... XtinKt's Avatar

Silver
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

is it a good mod to do?

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Well, it depends on how you use your car. First off, removing the baffles WILL allow a more direct path for the air to get to your airbox - it still won't be a true ram air effect though as there is a gap between the snorkel openings and the front inlet to the airbox - to acheive a ram air effect there would have to be a seal between these (2) areas such as using the Brian Green Kit (which is no longer available).

If you drive your car in the rain it will be a bad thing to remove the baffles as this will give the driving rain a direct path to go into your engine bay and into your airbox - soaking your filter. If you never drive in the rain then it would be OK.

I have the Volant CAI which uses twin K&N style filters enclosed in a box that completely surrounds the filters on all sides but the front, and seals to the underside of the hood. I NEVER drive my car in the rain so removing the baffles for me was a good thing as it allows the air a more direct path into the Volant filter box.

red
    2001 ws6 trans am a4

i aslo agree with 1quikws6 i don't plan on cutting mine out just for the simple fact of going through a car wash. also i just bought my volant kit today i can't wait to put it on i hope im not going to be disappointed!!!!

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I drive it everyday, but I drilled out the rivots for the back baffle and took it out, I just hope I don't get any water on the filter. That is the only reason I did not take out the front baffle.

black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I did mine and drive it every day, if it rains grab the long baffle you took out flip it around and stick back in, if it is in right it will "stand up" and block the rain, if you put back in the way you took it out it will just fall over inside the hood.

Silver
    2000 WS6

I did it to mine. I feel a more umph, more towards the top end...

BBATCAR
    Quote Originally Posted by MyY2KWS6
    I did it to mine. I feel a more umph, more towards the top end...
    I did mine, sealed the hood to the air box, works great... I drive it in the rain with no problems, easy free HP... I did buy the "rain shields" for the nostrils just in case of a superhard rain, no problems yet and never have had to use them...
    Last edited by BBATCAR; 02-28-2006 at 01:24 PM.

Scooch
    This sounds interesting, could someone post pics of before and after? I know the front nostril baffles, but what are the rear ones? I would think that the whole hood "opened up" with the volant air cleaner should give it more punch, yeah?

BBATCAR
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooch
    This sounds interesting, could someone post pics of before and after? I know the front nostril baffles, but what are the rear ones? I would think that the whole hood "opened up" with the volant air cleaner should give it more punch, yeah?
    I did remove both baffles and put some AC foam (from Home Depot) around the opening on the hood where it meets the Air box entrance. I get 25+ miles more per tank full and can feel a difference at higher speeds. I clearly get more cool air into the motor and so far no problems with rain. It is a good seal and can tell by how quickly my filter gets dirty. If you are worried about rain, I know someone who makes the "Rain Shields" that pop into the stock nostrils. After a rain, without the baffles, I barely get any drops near the air box even in a hard rain and no "shields"...
    Last edited by BBATCAR; 02-28-2006 at 03:08 PM.

BBATCAR
    See Pics, Actually this is my friends as he makes the foam and rain shields, mine are similar

Scooch
    Yeah, that makes more sense! Thanks for the pic. Ram Air should be Ram Air! The Volant and removed baffles just makes more sense. I will get one soon, hopefully before summer.........

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

so is there any way I can make a rain plate and then take out the front baffle? I am really interested in doing something like this because I take my car to the track alot but also drive it in the rain.

BBATCAR
    If you want to PM me , I can send you the email and contact that makes the foam seal and rain shields. He sells them as a set or separate. I bought the shields and did my own foam seal, but his pieces are very nice. Here is a picture. The shields are clear and black "catches" that fit exactly in the nostrils, so in the rain it is a 100% seal and you really don't see them.
    Last edited by BBATCAR; 03-01-2006 at 01:02 PM.

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Looks nice.. But the clear seals go directly where the nostrils are?? But wont you be blocking all thr "ram air" when it rains??? I like the seal kit....Looks like think foam you could buy at a hardware store...

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Looks nice.. But the clear seals go directly where the nostrils are?? But wont you be blocking all thr "ram air" when it rains??? I like the seal kit....Looks like thick foam you could buy at a hardware store...Looks very nice tho i am intrested... If you could PM me with the info!
    Bulletproof Performance
    2002 Trans AM WS6 M6 Collectors Edition
    LSX 427 F-1R Procharged Build Underway
    Estimated Finish Date: Summer 2012-2013

black
    2002 trans am

Could you send me the address also so I can purchase the kit? Thank you!

FREEBIRD

BBATCAR
    Quote Originally Posted by NeeD4SpeeD
    Looks nice.. But the clear seals go directly where the nostrils are?? But wont you be blocking all thr "ram air" when it rains??? I like the seal kit....Looks like thick foam you could buy at a hardware store...Looks very nice tho i am intrested... If you could PM me with the info!

During the hard rain you are probably not going to be racing , so yes it does block the two nostrils, however under the nostrils you are still getting the air and from underneath the car you are getting air into the box.

Since I don't see really hard rain I rarely use them but I have them in my car just in case. They simply snap in and when I'm done using them they pull out very easily. There is no problem with still getting air.

With this kit you will see a difference gas mileage and some high speed benefit.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

If you could PM me the info about the kit that would be great.

Thread Information