red
    1999 Tran-Am WS7

a couple problems

so i have a few problems that have recently started with my bird.

1) whenever i roll down my drivers side window, it will stop halfway down. it does the same when trying to roll it back up. i have to wait a few minutes and try again and sometimes it only goes up about an inch or so. could it be my window motor going out or something else?

2) i know i need a new clutch but something else just started acting up that im curious about. whenever i shift into 4th gear, i would feel a grinding in the stick. i can double-clutch it going into 4th and it wont grind and it also doesnt do it when im downshifting from 5th. i noticed i cant get it into 4th at higher speeds. i had my car up around 90 mph or so and tried going into 4th but it kept grinding. occasionally it wont fully go in and then it will pop out of gear. however, once i do get it into 4th, then its fine. i was thinking maybe synchros but im not a mechanic so i have no idea

3) whenever i start my car, my fan turns on. my fan is always running when my motor is. could it be a stuck relay or something? it just gets annoying standing outside my car while its running and hearing my fan over my motor.

any input is much appreciated

White/Gold
    99 T/A sold/67 Firebird

#1 possible window switch

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by transamdude99 View Post

1) whenever i roll down my drivers side window, it will stop halfway down. it does the same when trying to roll it back up. i have to wait a few minutes and try again and sometimes it only goes up about an inch or so. could it be my window motor going out or something else?

2) i know i need a new clutch but something else just started acting up that im curious about. whenever i shift into 4th gear, i would feel a grinding in the stick. i can double-clutch it going into 4th and it wont grind and it also doesnt do it when im downshifting from 5th. i noticed i cant get it into 4th at higher speeds. i had my car up around 90 mph or so and tried going into 4th but it kept grinding. occasionally it wont fully go in and then it will pop out of gear. however, once i do get it into 4th, then its fine. i was thinking maybe synchros but im not a mechanic so i have no idea

3) whenever i start my car, my fan turns on. my fan is always running when my motor is. could it be a stuck relay or something? it just gets annoying standing outside my car while its running and hearing my fan over my motor.

#1 Will be your window motor most likely.. Easy to install, but you have to drill the factory rivots out. Not hard to do, the new motorwill come with bolts and locking nuts.

#2 Change the clutch/flywheel even if its a stock one from a Auto Parts store (they will actually hold a lot of power and come with a warranty). Change it ASAP along with your slave cylinder. You don't want to ruin your transmission. I waited too long to change my clutch, cost me 1500$ to get it rebuilt. But the clutch might not fix it. I could just be your shift fork in 4th is skewed or bent.

#3 Relay/Fuse

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by transamdude99 View Post

#2 Is maybe your synchros. It also could be your hydraulics(along with the clutch). When you get your clutch replaced make sure they put in the Master and Slave cylinder from an 01-02 T-56. The ones from 98-00 were garbage. I suggest going to at least a Z06 Clutch as well in lieu of the stock one. I had the same problem with almost every one of my M6 cars. Has it started doing it from 1st to second? If you end up getting the synchronizers replaced you may as well have them rebuild your tranny while theyre in there... I had some other kind of shift forks put in mine besides the brass stock ones which get bent easy... I think it was steel I cant remember. Do your clutch ASAP. Fucking T-56. I spent a lot of money getting the one in my last car working right.
    Last edited by wooddaniel; 12-02-2008 at 10:39 PM.

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am M6

#1 is your power window motor, but Ive had no experience with your other two problems
    SLP LT's, SLP High Flow Cats, 3" Flowmaster CB, Comp Cam, SLP Lid, LS6 Intake, BBK 80mm TB, SFC, Ram Air HO Hood, Lowered, Torq Thrust II's

Thread Information