Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Could I live with it?

I am currently looking at a WS6 convertible and as the thread title suggests I really don't know if I would be able to live with it as a DD in NY. On the one hand I feel a convertible would be a bit more practical in the sense that lowering the top is easier than removing t-tops. On the other hand is the risk of slashings and the TERRIBLE visibility with the top up. Dropping the top in a NY january to parallel park is not an appealing thought.

This wouldn't be so much of a problem on an automatic since i spent several years driving ambulances with no rear visibility, since they had no rear window, and had good luck parking those.... even driving in reverse!!!! I am a relative newb with manual transmissions though, having driven around in some friends cars on occasion, a 95 neon a 98 bimmer and an 05 matrix. never started on a hill though, bad news since i live on a hill.......

The other prob is the ammount of unwanted attention the car may attract. Being a red TA convertible it may have the local constabulary keeping me under a microscope.

Am I blowing this all out of proportion or are my concerns beyond valid and in fact frighteningly real? As a DD should I avoid this car like the plague?

White
    1999 Transam WS6

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    I am currently looking at a WS6 convertible and as the thread title suggests I really don't know if I would be able to live with it as a DD in NY. On the one hand I feel a convertible would be a bit more practical in the sense that lowering the top is easier than removing t-tops. On the other hand is the risk of slashings and the TERRIBLE visibility with the top up. Dropping the top in a NY january to parallel park is not an appealing thought.

This wouldn't be so much of a problem on an automatic since i spent several years driving ambulances with no rear visibility, since they had no rear window, and had good luck parking those.... even driving in reverse!!!! I am a relative newb with manual transmissions though, having driven around in some friends cars on occasion, a 95 neon a 98 bimmer and an 05 matrix. never started on a hill though, bad news since i live on a hill.......

The other prob is the ammount of unwanted attention the car may attract. Being a red TA convertible it may have the local constabulary keeping me under a microscope.

Am I blowing this all out of proportion or are my concerns beyond valid and in fact frighteningly real? As a DD should I avoid this car like the plague?
    I'm a bit north to you, Queens borough and i drive my White ws6 every single damn day and almost all the time with my t-tops off for the past 1-2 months sicne I bought the car. . Haven't ran into trouble yet except playing dodgeball with the great New York City ditches( and the unavoidable idiotic parking dings from morons that bump into your bumper/shave it while coming out). Probably even worse for you with those infamous brooklyn streets(i have yet to see a decent brooklyn street). My car is a M6 also and don't have problem driving it, its all about getting used to the friction point of the clutch on those shitty hills/roads.

Edit, probably not the greatest for the clutch/car, but if starting on a very steep hill I sometimes hold the brake down while moving the clutch to where I know the friction point is which usually stops the car from rolling backwards while I press the throttle. Or you can do the same but use your handbrake.
    Last edited by Aetos; 08-04-2008 at 11:07 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

the handbrake is what i was thinking for starting on a hill..... as for brooklyn streets i happen to live in the "nice" brooklyn. around me are a TON of AMG's and aston martins and bentleys, even a more than healthy splash of lambos and ferraris. The roads in my neighborhood aren't the problem.... in fact most days there are no cars parked in front of or behind me so rolling back a few feet when starting shouldn't usually be a problem.

On a funny side note.... should I buy this specific car i would be the THIRD red convertible with a tan top currently on my block. the other two being a late 90's mercedes SL 500 and a 99-04 style Mustang GT. also the second WS6 on the block heh. not to mention the SOM 02 Z28..... i like my neighbors

But the other questions still remain. Will having a convertible make me want to kill myself...... hmm also is insurance on a convert more expensive? i priced full coverage already on a coupe and it wasn't bad at all. finally what about cops and red WS6's? i'm no racer and just indulge in the occasional firm pedal squeeze to hear the cylinders firing but not much of a speeder. i tend to keep it between 50-60 on the highway.
    Last edited by LSCyaL8R; 08-04-2008 at 11:19 AM.

White
    1999 Transam WS6

the handbrake is what i was thinking for starting on a hill..... as for brooklyn streets i happen to live in the "nice" brooklyn. around me are a TON of AMG's and aston martins and bentleys, even a more than healthy splash of lambos and ferraris. The roads in my neighborhood aren't the problem.... in fact most days there are no cars parked in front of or behind me so rolling back a few feet when starting shouldn't usually be a problem.

On a funny side note.... should I buy this specific car i would be the THIRD red convertible with a tan top currently on my block. the other two being a late 90's mercedes SL 500 and a 99-04 style Mustang GT. also the second WS6 on the block heh. not to mention the SOM 02 Z28..... i like my neighbors

But the other questions still remain. Will having a convertible make me want to kill myself...... hmm also is insurance on a convert more expensive? i priced full coverage already on a coupe and it wasn't bad at all. finally what about cops and red WS6's? i'm no racer and just indulge in the occasional firm pedal squeeze to hear the cylinders firing but not much of a speeder. i tend to keep it between 50-60 on the highway.
    These cars, especially the ws6 will get attention no matter what...

Wow, I wish I lived in a neighborhood like yours... Your car is like the last one any no-gooder would look at

I would never buy a 'vert, but thats just me. Coupe with t-tops all the way. T-top removal is also done pretty quickly with our convenient hatch holders. Takes like 1 minute to remove the tops and lock them in our hatces.

Coupe all the way!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

so i'm taking it you get pulled over for nothing then? i'm not sure I want that. My nerve isn't all that great, the stress of constantly being pulled over would get to me. especially all the time it wastes..... I hate profiling. I'm sure sometimes its just out of curiosity like hey nice car but still..... talk to me when at a light or parked.... then I would LOVE to chat but to be pulled over when nothing is wrong....

White
    1999 Transam WS6

so i'm taking it you get pulled over for nothing then? i'm not sure I want that. My nerve isn't all that great, the stress of constantly being pulled over would get to me. especially all the time it wastes..... I hate profiling. I'm sure sometimes its just out of curiosity like hey nice car but still..... talk to me when at a light or parked.... then I would LOVE to chat but to be pulled over when nothing is wrong....

Nope, I haven't been pulled over yet... I don't think cops will usually pull you over for nothing, they usually will have something to tell you. Its more like when you pass a cop on the road, you can see them eying your car waiting for you to do something stupid and against the law, lol. Any of my other friends with decent cars(300zx, s197 mustang, sti, etc.) have not really been pulled over for stupid reasons. They will give a reason if they pull you over, excessively loud exhaust, speeding, etc.

Edit: f-body meet at queens >.> haha j/k

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

I'd be all over a meet!!! lemme get an fbody first! glad to hear you haven't been pulled over. my neighbor in his z28 seems to get pulled over a lot..... but according to his gf he tends to like the loud pedal quite a bit.... his car is 100% stock except for tints, which he has been pulled over for. also been pulled over for registration speeding front plates etc. guess its just him lol.... also SOM sticks out.... as does red.... ugh

White
    1999 Transam WS6

I'd be all over a meet!!! lemme get an fbody first! glad to hear you haven't been pulled over. my neighbor in his z28 seems to get pulled over a lot..... but according to his gf he tends to like the loud pedal quite a bit.... his car is 100% stock except for tints, which he has been pulled over for. also been pulled over for registration speeding front plates etc. guess its just him lol.... also SOM sticks out.... as does red.... ugh

White isn't the most discrete color, lol. And yes, NY cops will usually pull you over for some reason, but not for no reason from what I've witnessed. All the things he got pulled over are stupid things that can easily be avoided: registration? register your god damn car; plates? put your damn plates on, it beats paying a big ass fine; speeding? don't be stupid about it, do it where you know cops don't linger. (bqe near astoria is a pretty good spot, theres a spot which is exactly 1/4th mile, with huge ass walls/dividers so no cops can hide, used to be a big drag spot back in the day from what I heard.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

yeah its funny that white looks great at night and black looks great in the day..... opposites and all that. lol. i feel like my black lincoln is a stealth bomber once the sun goes down..... except for the 2 foot wide half foot tall HID headlights and full width neon tail light that combined light up EVERYTHING within 5 miles of the car lol. Before the black lincoln i had a white lincoln and when freshly cleaned.... with white fresh can mean a week lol black = 5 mins. anyway clean it looked amazing at night. I managed to find the old Mark VII on google street view... still parked in front of my house.... at night.

But there must be someone on here that can provide some feedback on the convertible life? both driving impressions and insurance diff. Is the car noticably more "flexy" would subframes make it = a coupe or at least close?

Thread Information