Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

none
    none

Thumbs up Comp Cams "Fast" intake..

Hello all,
    Just wanted to say hello. This is my first post on the website, however i have been going through your past posts history for about a month. It helped to answer various questions that i had. Just wanted to say that the site is great. There really is a vast array of information available just by doing a little digging around.

I am from Pa, and just purchased my first Trans-am out in Colorado. It is a 2001 Formula WS6. Sunset Orange, 6spd, with 25K miles. Made it home 1,800 miles with no problems. Infact i was very happy with the 25mpg i was getting at 80-85mph.

Anyway. The car i purchased has a cat-back exhaust, K&N air intake setup, and also a Comp Cam Fast composite intake. No headers yet. I was curious if anyone was familiar with this Comp Cam intake? I heard nothing about it, however i see that it is almost $800 at summit racing. Says +20hp. Also it appears that the TCS button was removed and the traction control is no longer an option.

The only bad thing that will need changed is the clutch (or so i think). In 1st, when letting out the clutch the car will chatter. Feels like maybe a pressure plate/springs or a tear in the clutch. I am not familiar with the car, but a new clutch should come with pressure plate, clutch, and throwout bearing, correct? Also i see on summit that you must order a new hydraulic cylinder (GM part # 12565145) when ordering a clutch kit.....

Any input would be great....

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

comp cams owns a bunch of performance companies and fast is one of them. you have the fast manifold.

http://www.fuelairspark.com/
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Red
    '02 WS6

I believe there were issues with the stock slave cylinder failing prematurely causing problems with the clutch.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Congrats on purchasing the Car
    I don't want to burst your bubble but there where no WS6 Formula's produced in 2001. 2000 was the last year that the option was available on a Formula. Look inside the drivers door for the option sticker (it has a bunch of 3 digit codes on it) Look for WS6 it should not be there if you have a Formula. Also look for W66 for this is the Formula option code. If you don't have this code but do have the WS6 code then you have a Trans Am WS6.
    I hope the car wasn't misrepresented when you purchased it.

The Fast LSX intakes are usually overkill on a stock LS1.
    The Car may also have an aftermarket clutch because some of these clutches chatter if they are not broken in correctly.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

none
    none

Thanks for the information. I too thought that the no Formula WS6's were produced in 2001, however after reviewing the numbers the car is indeed a WS6 Formula. The sticker on the inside of the door AND on the build sheet that i got from the pontiac dealer say WS6 and then WS9 next to each other. The car is a 2001, however it was manufactured in late december of 2000. I am guessing that the car has the 2000 Formula WS6 option, but did not get out for sale til 2001, making it a 2001. I will make a copy of the build sheet and take a pic of the door sticker. If this is true i would imagine the car would be rather rare......

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

But does it have the W66 RPO If not than it is a Trans Am,
    The Vin only denotes that it is a V8 Firebird that is why when vin's are looked up they say Formula/Trans Am.
    Some Pics could help cause now I'm Curious.

black
    1999 trans am

the clutch maybe a aftermarket clutch they do chatter sometimes

none
    none

There is no W66 code that i recall, but i'm not 100%. Only the WS6 code and the WS9 code. I will take a look to verify when i get off work. I am also curious about the possiblilty of an aftermarket clutch. I am going to try and contact the previous owner and get the history of the car. I will post a picture of the door sticker and build sheet later tonight......

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

post pix of that ride too!!
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

none
    none

Here are a few pictures of the build sheet, door sticker, and my car. Sorry for the bad quality my printer/scanner is down so i had to use my camera. Let me know what you think.

NBM
    '98 Z28

Sweet ride. LUV SOM! Looks to me like ya got a Formula TA with WS.6 package. Score!

edit: ASR was an option on some cars. Not sure about yours, but prob not an add @ the factory.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Yep definitely a trans am, the formula has the firebird body, yours obviously has the Trans am front end fascia and assuming it has the side skirts and rear fascia along with the upper level spoiler. Correct me if I am wrong but isnt all the Trans am start out as a formula? Extra options give it different look? I thought I read that along time ago but dont remember.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Both cars share the WS9 (formula conversion package) RPO but The W66 RPO designates a Formula and I believe it's a Y99 RPO that designates a Trans Am Not sure on that one.

Ya I thought it would probably be a T/A Since No WS6 Formula's were built after 2000.
    Nice Color and Nice Car.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

yep gotta love the sunset orange metallic

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

yep, that's a TA and not a formula. as i have two formulas. WS6 formulas would still look like the base v6 body with the ram air hood and 17" wheels and say formula on the door.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

here's a WS6 formula

none
    none

Awesome. Thanks a lot for clarifying things, and thanks for the compliments. Anyone have any idea how many Sunset Orange / T-top / 6spd cars were produced in 2001? I know there was something like 300 or so in 2002, but I could not find anything for numbers on the 2001. I do believe it is the rarest color of the T/A’s produced…

The only problem I seem to have is the “jitter” I get out of the car when starting out in first. Not sure if it is the clutch / throwout bearing etc...? It shifts perfectly throughout the rest of the gears. A friend of mine said his had the same problem and it was simply a “tear” in the clutch and a new Centerforce cleared things up fine. I don't know if this is a common problem with the T/A’s, but it’s a bummer with only 25K miles.

Drive it like its stolen gillahoon's Avatar

White
    1998 Trans Am

Hey i too am in east pa were u at.

blue
    01 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    Congrats on purchasing the Car
    I don't want to burst your bubble but there where no WS6 Formula's produced in 2001. 2000 was the last year that the option was available on a Formula. Look inside the drivers door for the option sticker (it has a bunch of 3 digit codes on it) Look for WS6 it should not be there if you have a Formula. Also look for W66 for this is the Formula option code. If you don't have this code but do have the WS6 code then you have a Trans Am WS6.
    I hope the car wasn't misrepresented when you purchased it.

The Fast LSX intakes are usually overkill on a stock LS1.
    The Car may also have an aftermarket clutch because some of these clutches chatter if they are not broken in correctly.
    hey i just looked and just my luck no sticker, any other way to verify a true ws6?

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Check the sticky above about ASC#'s
    He may be able to help you just have your vin# available.

Thread Information