Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch it!

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Clutch it!

is anybody heard anything about using an LS7 clutch kit for an LS1?

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by cowstandmoto View Post
    is anybody heard anything about using an LS7 clutch kit for an LS1?
    Yes...obviously it can hold 500hp, but I would prefer an aftermarket clutch...Monster is my poison

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i have one... i liked my spec stage 3+ more though...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I hate my Spec Stage 3+. It chatters pretty bad on take-off. Spec is hit or miss on their clutches. Based on what I have read, I will probably go with a Monster or Textralia on my next set-up.

In Spec's defense I will say that their clutches are extremely grippy.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

yeah.. mine wasn't chattery at all... felt almost like stock...

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I had great luck with my SPEC Stage 3+, it chattered alot for about the first 200 miles just like the company says it will, but after that silky smooth, and TONS of grab. Not too much harder on the pedal either. I would definitely buy another one if I ever need to.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Yes...obviously it can hold 500hp, but I would prefer an aftermarket clutch...Monster is my poison
    i have a monster level 4 clutch and its great, no chatter either

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Good thing you asked in the firebird section cause none of the camaro guys have one.
    Just not compatible

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

stay out of our forum.

i kid, i kid.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

That's about what it is with Spec....LUCK.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

I have a monster stage 3 and tick adjustable master.

best advice? if you have stock engine/trans mounts.... you BETTER change them at the same time. I busted mine on day one with the monster.

Currently it chatters a bit. nothing unlivable. I'm hoping that goes away with some more time and a couple of heat cycles.

yea i would get the monster as well

Silver
    2002 Firehawk

I have the ls7 clutch/flywheel combo. I'm pretty well stock, so that was fine with me. Just nice to have a little better than stock for track runs. Textralia was about 3x the cost when I looked(that was what I would have bought if I had money burning a hole in my pocket at the time), so it depends on your application, and pocketbook.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 WS6

This is going to sound retarded, but what is the difference between a stock clutch and aftermarket? Does it make it easier to shift or can you be more abusive? I guess I mean how would it feel different or what could I do differently. I have only had stock clutches and I have only had two cars that are manual an Accord and of course the Trans Am.

Silver
    2002 Firehawk

Stock is what came with your car. Aftermarket is essentially anything else. Some are chattery always, some start that way and get quiet as others have mentioned before. Some are stiffer, some feel like stock. Some grab with a smooth engaging stock feel, others grab like it's all or nothing with no slippage. Again, it all depends on what you want/need for your application.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by one_entity View Post
    This is going to sound retarded, but what is the difference between a stock clutch and aftermarket? Does it make it easier to shift or can you be more abusive? I guess I mean how would it feel different or what could I do differently. I have only had stock clutches and I have only had two cars that are manual an Accord and of course the Trans Am.
    Generally speaking, an aftermarket clutch will have more "grab"....meaning it can handle more torque. As an example, my Spec Stage 3+ clutch is rated at 850 lb-ft. Aftermarket clutches can usually withstand more abuse.

black
    02 HAWK aka the beast

I just had a LS7 clutch kit installed in my Hawk and I replaced the clutch slave and master cyl and I'm very happy you can't go wrong with it. Real smooth and no chatter. I had a mcleod twin disc a $1400 clutch + $300 clutch slave and hated it. Due yourself a favor and go to a local chevy dealer and go into parts dept and ask them if they will sell you the ls7 kit for 5%-10% over cost. I work for a dealer and got everything at cost and it was alot cheaper in price compared to other places. You will not be dissaointed with a LS7 clutch

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

I now have many more miles on my Monster. I can speak with more experience than my last post.

I love it but there is no denying that it chatters. It's pretty particular in how it likes to be launched. I can start smooth and hear a characteristic squeak that seems to be common among ceramic metallic clutches or I can start and just hit the right spot to cause the clutch to chatter a little before grabbing. lastly i once in a while catch myself not giving enough gas and kinda bog slightly. Honestly that provides both a chatter and squeak free launch but obviously isn't good for other reasons.

Seems like the ceramic metallic style likes to engage with small RPM differences so my best starts tend to be just off idle with just enough gas to not let the RPMs fall from there. of course they also have no problem with sidestepping at 2-3k around town for some rubber scented action but i'm talking about daily driving

anything is better than the LS1 clutch. I love my Monster and actually feel awkward when I get into my Saturn with it's smooth light progressive clutch pedal and buttery shift linkage. just feels weird in comparison.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I have one, got it from KySpeed as a combo kit. I like it. Whatever one you get replace the slave period. your going up there anyways so save you some time and $ later. Take a good hard look at your rear main seal and pinon bearing also. 2 more things that you really need to look while there. If they go out later you have to drop all of this just to get to them.

Big decision is decide where you are going with your car. If you are going to build a monster high HP/Torque engine, then you need to get a better clutch. If this is your DD or a track car every once in a while then this clutch is pretty good.

Ohh one more thing. Be extremely careful tightening the bolts back on your bell housing. It is a MoFo trying to find a stock replacement. In the end I had to kick out $500 for a Quicktime Bell housing. Stay away from the McLeod universal kit. It requires some serious modding to get it to work. The QT had no issues. I learn the hard way and another member pointed it out in time that I was able to get a full refund.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 09-01-2010 at 08:26 AM.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

MRM
    2002 T/A M6

I was originally gonna go with the LS7 kit, but due to lack of funds, I went with an Exedy Kit. For 340 bucks, I got the flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disc, throw out and pilot bearing. My stocker lasted all the way up to 176,xxx, so why not go with the original. I'm also pretty much stock, and plan on staying that way for a long bit.
    3" MagnaFlow CatBack w/Corsa (clone)Tips, Lloyds Custom Floor Mats, SLP Lid, Pro 5.0 W/ Lou's SS, 7.5" Eaton Locker w/3.73, KYB AGX, BMR LCA's, FRA, SSE, 5% Tint, 18x9 C5 Rims w/Falken 452

Thread Information