Yellow
    2002 Trans Am CE

Cig and accessory sockets no power

I just bought a 2002 CETA this past weekend and drove it home(500 miles) and it was great. The car only has 13,000 miles and everything works BUT the cig and accessory sockets. I looked and there was no fuse so I added one. I thought problem solved, but no, the sockets still had no power!! I tried to do some searching but I didn't come up with anything concrete on a cause and fix.
    Has any had or heard of this problem?

Thanks for any help... RCH33

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Congrats and welcome to the site.

Looks like that fuse only feeds the lighter, accessory power outlet and the data link connector. Did you probe for power with a test light at the fuse?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I found the schematic and there is really nothing to it - power is fed from the fuse to those three components with the Orange wire being hot. I have not located the schematic for the ground circuit yet. The fact that the fuse was missing probably means that the prior owner was having some sort of issue, unless he/she "borrowed" it to replace a blown fuse elsewhere and just never replaced it.

Yellow
    2002 Trans Am CE

Thanks... I did some further research and found when I replaced fuse that my data port now works. I remove the panel that hold the TC switch and I could see the lighter plug in back. Nothing was connected to it, so that's why no power. I felt around under the console on the accessory plug side and found a connector that was not connected to anything.. Checked the power and it had power as long as the fuse was in, so it is either for the cig. Plug or the accessory plug. But, I need two of these connectors. One for the cig and the other for accessory plug. Is there suppose to be a "Y" cable to power both? I guess I need to remove the top console piece to really see what's behind there and also to reconnect the plug to one of the sockets. Is removing the console easy or any suggestions!!
    Thanks...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Just need to take a peek back there to see what is going on.

Yellow
    2002 Trans Am CE

I got the shifter boot lifted off enough to see another plug that had been removed. It appears that it goes to the cig. Lighter. So now I have both connector but have no idea of why they were removed. I still need to remove the top console part just to try to reconnect the plugs. What was really funny is that I found a cig. Lighter in that area that really was not for the original car.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Hard to tell what a prior owner has done... people do strange things for inexplicable reasons sometimes.

SOM
    2002 FireHawk

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Hard to tell what a prior owner has done... people do strange things for inexplicable reasons sometimes.
    Ain't that the truth! And then there are times you really do not want to know why they did what they did.

Yellow
    2002 Trans Am CE

Well got it all fixed. It looks like the prior owner had problems with the lighter itself. When I would put the lighter in the socket, (just put it in for storage not using it), it would blow the fuse. So bad lighter!!! Reconnected all the plug wires and put in new fuse and all works fine. Can now use plugs for charging phone, etc. Not sure why previous owner when to all the trouble to remove connectors to both plugs and remove fuse. All that was needed was a new cig. Lighter itself or just don't put the bad lighter into the plug!!! At least now everything works on the car. Thanks for providing the clues of things that were on that circuit. Once I found the data port had power with the fuse in, I knew it had to be something at the sockets themselves.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

People like to take the easy way out with repairs quite often. It's a sign of a true car guy (or gal) to take the time to diagnose and properly fix an issue.

Thread Information