Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Choosing between these 5 cars

Well guys, i most likley will sell my car in the spring/summer. If not, ill keep it and junk it and get a new car in late 08 or spring 09. I put it up for sale during thanksgiving, but i didnt get the offer i was looking for, so ill see in a few months what happens. I will save up for about half (maybe more if i sell my car) and my dad will pay the rest. Here are the cars iv narrowed it down to.

1) 05+ GT: Look nice, but its gonna take some work to run with the next few cars

2) 03/04 Cobra: We all know the deal so theres not much to say. However a good condition one is about 22K!!

3) 2001-2004 Saleen S281 S/C: Same as the cobra with one less gear

4) 03/04 mach1: Pretty much equal to the LS1 as far as power goes and mods

5) 98+ WS6: Looking to buy one with a cam or modded a little and trick it out to my taste. I know these cars inside and out now so i will avoid future problems, however i hope buying a modded one will not haunt me with problems.

Overall goal is to have a solid low 11 sec car that I can drive daily. The cobra is the fastest way there, but it might also be the most expensive. Input??

green
    98 formula

any way you do it an 11 second car is gonna cost you and being your dd will just add more $$ to the build my opinion is build the one you have and buy a truck you can pull your race car with and drive everyday

black trans am

if i was u i would probly get an ls1 might take more money to make it run 11 but if u wanted to u can keep stock gears and then still get some gas mi outta it

weberje
    I think you're preachin to the choir here.... I would say we may be a bit biased. I lost my first TA when i went to Iraq (leaving a pregnant wife behind). Now I've got my red WS6 and this car will not be re-sold!

I like the terminators too. But like u said, lil pricey. Just go with wut u want. Thas always the key.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 WS6

I would go with the 03/04 Cobra, that car gets alot of respect.

2002 CETA 6M COUPE

^ yeah but it comes with Ford reliability...

you do have to work a lot as far. making 11's is very easy with a Terminator... but alot of parts have to go. Start with piston #6 and #7. They brake when you run high speeds repeatedly. Next the 6th gear on the Tranny is garbage... breaks easier than bread.

Parts on a Cobra are not cheap... either way you go... it will cost you.

I'd go LS1 cuz it's cheaper to buy the car... you have more $ for mods. And Cobras do not run $22k... the average is still over $26k. I would be very scared about buying a Cobra that's $22k.

weberje
    Amen.

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

even though this is my first post id like 2 say that it doesent hinder my automotive skillz with keeping the t/a u would have alought more money too do countless mods too even reach 9's so the gas milage is low but 11's and 10's the car the gas is going 2 suck anyways plus u'd have all that extra cash too fix problems that occur .

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

there was a trans am on ls1tech for sale i think it was 540hp with around 10k miles for like $24k

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

02 z06 ftw

1966 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    1) 05+ GT: Look nice, but its gonna take some work to run with the next few cars

2) 03/04 Cobra: We all know the deal so theres not much to say. However a good condition one is about 22K!!

3) 2001-2004 Saleen S281 S/C: Same as the cobra with one less gear

4) 03/04 mach1: Pretty much equal to the LS1 as far as power goes and mods

5) 98+ WS6: Looking to buy one with a cam or modded a little and trick it out to my taste. I know these cars inside and out now so i will avoid future problems, however i hope buying a modded one will not haunt me with problems.
    1. No... dude seriously... prolly as much as a term cobra and way less impressive... I would have to be given one to drive it... I mean after i installed a t-56, body accents, internals, supercharger, and suspension it would have like $20k in parts...

2. Not bad choice... 425 or so RWHP with pulley, full exhaust, and tune... i dont think 281's are comfy to drive (shifter location SUX!!!!)...

3. still 5 speed... still 2v... still straight axle... still expensive.... still a 281...

4. HA HA HA... maybe same when you compare auto ls1 to manual (still 5 speed) mach... again 281's are uncumfy to me... more like a 99/01 cobra then a LS1...

5. another good choice... i would try to get a 01 or 02... under 50k miles... prolly cost you like $12-$15k if you get a descent deal...

oh and stnags get SHIT gas mileage... my buddies 99 cobra gets like 22 mpg on the hiway lightly modded.... my vette will still smoke his ass hard core and it gets 31 mpg hiway...

-me

Black
    00 WS6

My brother had an 04 Mach 1 and it did not have a chance in hell of keeping up with my 00 WS6 which is stock. I owned an 07 GT and sold it to get my 00 WS6, just did not like it. I would have bought a Cobra, but could not find one that was stock and in good condition.

If you can find a nice 03/04 Cobra buy it.....if you can't get a WS6.

black
    2002 trans am

no mustangs... cobras are cool and saleens also.. go for the gto i know some guys that only put the magna supercharger and they can run 7.80's all day ( in the 8th) they dont look bad either.. ws6 thats wat id go for.. they are quick ive seen mustangs that whoop them on the track.. but do it right and itll be badass

Formula Driver! 96Firebirdformula's Avatar

Batman Black
    1996 Formula

Why is mustang shifter deformed?

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by The_Wretched View Post
    ^ yeah but it comes with Ford reliability...

you do have to work a lot as far. making 11's is very easy with a Terminator... but alot of parts have to go. Start with piston #6 and #7. They brake when you run high speeds repeatedly. Next the 6th gear on the Tranny is garbage... breaks easier than bread.

Parts on a Cobra are not cheap... either way you go... it will cost you.

I'd go LS1 cuz it's cheaper to buy the car... you have more $ for mods. And Cobras do not run $22k... the average is still over $26k. I would be very scared about buying a Cobra that's $22k.
    how can it be garbage? Its the same exact transmission that we have

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

I'd definitely stick with a ls1. With the exception of the Saleen, Mustangs are common - even Cobra's. The cheapest way is to just keep your car or buy another one (is your's having problems?) and do a rebuild, then turbo.

I paid $7500 for my car last Thursday and is a 98 with 68,000 miles, 1 owner, no crashes, almost perfect paint, and I bought it from an official dealer (Jaguar). If you have $20k for a car, that would give you $12k to put into modding.

Do a good rebuild and get the APS twin turbo kit.

Black
    2000 T/A

I look at it this way, all the cars you listed are nice. If you want initial speed without work. you know which one to go with.

if you want effective cost get a WS6- simply because they are a bit older, prices are a bit cheaper, and believe me. the ls1 reacts very well to internal modifications.

a new mustang will get peoples attention espcially if you do appearance mods, and they get around pretty nicely.

it's all in what you like, here on ls1, we're all biased bastards...

BUY AN LS1!!!! see..... I told you,lol.

good luck.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

I would go for a mach1

Red
    2003 Santa Fe

I would go with the 98+ WS6. Im not into fords or anything like that. Its gottta be a Chevrolet or a Pontiac!

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 96Firebirdformula View Post
    Why is mustang shifter deformed?

Click for full size
    They have nicer pedals then us?

Thread Information