blue
    2002 Trans Am

catch can question

My question is about a catch can, is it a for sure needed thing for the LS1?
    When I had my mustang, I ran one on my 04 mach 1, because I was running a Procharger D1sc, put a catch can on my 13 Mustang GT, because it looked good. So my question is just is it something that is needed or not really needed.
    Also is there one out there that is the best bang for the buck? or are all about the same?
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions, look forward to reading them

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Well did a little searching and got my answer, will be buying a catch can down the road.
    Sorry to waste a thread on this

ASh

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

No problem. I am certain your research showed that a catch can is a must on our cars. Here's our setup - it works perfect. After a day at the track, I usually have just about an ounce of oil in the can.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

I installed mine in the location where the air pump use to be. I used the hoses that were originally for the air pump. Seems to work fine. My oil consumption wasn't much before, but has gone down to zero after the catch can install. I found a generic general purpose tank from summit racing. Fab up some brackets and threaded in some brass nipples to the bottle. Looks really clean and is completely out of site. With all the emissions junk and air pump junk out the engine bay made a HUGE difference in the engine bay. Of course, you will have to have the air pump and EGR systems deleted from the computer.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Here's where I put mine.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

That seems to be the norm for most people. I try to make everything very stealth. I don't have any pictures, but I will. I've done 3 cars this way, including my own.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

thanks guys for the pictures, again I was searching online and read a few different ones and got my answer needed, but that is great how yall put pictures up and posted on here, thanks so much

ASh

- - - Updated - - -

one question: is there certain brands to stay away from?????

ASh

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Don't get a cheap ass one made in China and you should be ok. It needs to have a decent medium for separating the oil from the air and depositing it into the reservoir.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Don't get a cheap ass one made in China and you should be ok. It needs to have a decent medium for separating the oil from the air and depositing it into the reservoir.
    Thanks

ASh

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

My understanding of the routing of the PCV tubing is from both rear outlet fittings of the driver/passenger valve covers which go through the PCV valve, and then through the catch can, then to the intake. There is another tube that comes from the front of the passenger side valve cover and goes to the throttle body as well, but it does not go through the catch can. Why not? Should there be another catch can, or should all three outlets go through the catch can? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by herculesrider1; 03-16-2019 at 08:31 PM.
    Ported/Polished throttle body, Lingenfelter launch module, SLP line lock, QTP exhaust cutout, LS7 clutch, K&N, Ceramic coated longtubes, no cats, 3" exhaust, Flowmaster "B", Eibach springs, Midwest Chassis 9" rearend w/4.10's

Red

What is the bolt size that you attach the catch can to the head? Thanks!

Navy Blue Metallic

I ran mine near the battery of the inner fender wall. Not sure what the head size is for the cylinder heads

Red

Oh, that is a good idea, mounting on the fenderwell. Why didn't I think of that? Thanks man!

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

Do you really have to have a catch can on all LS1 engines or just on drag cars and race cars?

Red

The way these cars have the PCV system taking oil vapors out of the crankcase and distributing them through the intake manifold to be burned in the cylinders, a catch can is vitally important. I NEVER take either of my WS6 T/A's to the track, but when I pull the MAF and Throttle Body, there is ALWAYS oil all over the inside of my intake. I recently took my intake off of my red 00 T/A, and it was full of oil, and the intake ports on my heads was caked with burned oil, except where the fuel injectors sprayed gasoline down into the cylinders. The Environmental Protection Agency sucks when it comes to the design of the PCV systems on our cars. Catch Cans should have been a factory installed item. A Catch Can is the only way to keep the oil vapors/droplets out of the intake and subsequently out of the intake runner ports on the heads. I have taken the Throttle Body off before and had oil DRIP off of it. This is the most ignorant poor design of keeping oil vapor out of the atmosphere I have ever seen. And supposedly educated Engineers came up with the design. Shaking my head.... But to answer your question. YES, you need a catch can, even if you don't race it. Even daily drivers divert oil vapors/droplets directly into the intake manifold due to the way the PCV system was designed. Hope this helps!

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

Yes, you answered my question very well. Thank You.
    2002 Firebird Formula - 5.7 Liter - "Last of the Breed"

Navy Blue Metallic

catch can question

In addition I'll add that I did the LS6 Valley Cover Tray. it moves the pcv to underneath the vct. That with my catch can helps a ton.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

black
    02 TransAm Ramair WS6

what do you mean by doing the ' LS6 valley cover tray' ? I have an 02 LS1 that is supposed to have the LS6 intake so would this even be necessary on an 02 ??
    '02 Black RamAir M6--Kooks LTH, Magnaflo, Lowered Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks, Tuned By Frost, K&N & SLP box, Smooth bellows, polished TB, Spohn perf. suspension, shock tower brace. UMI 3point SFC. Front & side splitters w/ canards. American Racing 18" wheels & Mich. Pilot SS titres
    '76 LagunaS3 - 355ci , 350 turbo, 3:55's

Navy Blue Metallic

Intake is not the same as the valley cove tray. The VCT sits under the intake and contains the knock sensors for GEN III engines.

Explanation of the differences between the 2 VCT's
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/explain...ct-mod-156010/

How too
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f63/ls6-va...r-pics-145557/

Red

In post #10, I asked a question concerning why one hose, specifically the one coming from the Throttle Body, did not go through the catch can. I have learned a little nugget I thought I would share. The hose coming from the Throttle Body is the Fresh Air Source. Filtered air comes in that hose. The hose coming from the back driver's side valve cover that ties in with the rear of the passenger side valve cover goes to the intake manifold fitting which pulls a vacuum, and sucks the oil vapors/droplets out of the crank case and into the intake manifold and subsequently into the heads and intake valves. That is why both hoses do not need to go to a catch can. Only the hose going to the intake manifold fitting should be connected to a catch can and PCV Valve. I have chosen to run
    my Throttle Body hose to the back driver side valve cover fitting, cap off the rear passenger side valve cover fitting, and attach a hose to the front passenger side valve cover fitting and run it to my catch can and then through the PCV Valve and then to the intake manifold vacuum fitting. No breather on the catch can. Hope this helps someone understand more about the PCV Valve system.

Thread Information