Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2002 Trans Am

catalytic converter issue

My car is still covered under the extended warranty with but they are telling me that there cant be any aftermarket mods such as headers or aftermarket exhaust in which I have a corsa catback exhaust. Has anyone else had this problem? Besides the tips and arguably the sound there is no proof.
    Last edited by nmartin; 03-04-2010 at 10:13 AM.

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

sounds like bs to me......

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Better check the fine print. Some extended warranties are contigent on the basis that the car is OEM stock. They will use the reasoning that aftermarket parts could have an adverse effect on the cats - bs but they will stick by it. You can take it in and try but might get shot down.
    It's not how fast you can go. It's how fast you can get there.

Follow us at www.facebook.com/RGCustoms

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Better check the fine print. Some extended warranties are contigent on the basis that the car is OEM stock. They will use the reasoning that aftermarket parts could have an adverse effect on the cats - bs but they will stick by it. You can take it in and try but might get shot down.
    a gm dealer will replace them if your car is under 10 years old or 100,000 miles i just got mine replaced for free. and i have stuff done to my car

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i could understand them voiding it if the mod moves or changes the performance of the cat..but the fact that a cat back...who's name says it all, that any change is from the cat back..so i would call bs on that.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

When I had a full bumper to bumper warranty it clearly stated ANY modification of the vehicles various componets would void the warranty. My warranty covered everything right down to the tires too. It was stated in warning form as well.. Even if I wanted to change my own oil, not having a reciept could have voided it..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Pickle86 View Post
    a gm dealer will replace them if your car is under 10 years old or 100,000 miles i just got mine replaced for free. and i have stuff done to my car
    I had mine done too with that warranty. I have SLP Loudmouth and they didnt have any problem doing it.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

My understanding is the Cat warranty is a federal regulation. Shouldn't have anything to do with an aftermarket warranty. I had mine replaced with my SLP LM1 installed without any questions asked. Matter of fact, I had one go out and they offered to replace both under warranty no prob.

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Technically they could say no....but most dealerships would honor it anyway.

pewter
    00 ws6

check out the magnuson-moss warranty act. it states that they can't void a warranty because of an aftermarket part that was installed

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Quote Originally Posted by capemaydiamond View Post
    check out the magnuson-moss warranty act. it states that they can't void a warranty because of an aftermarket part that was installed
    ummm what? so then how do dealerships get away with this then on new cars when people mod them?

White
    02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by nmartin View Post
    My car is still covered under the extended warranty with but they are telling me that there cant be any aftermarket mods such as headers or aftermarket exhaust in which I have a corsa catback exhaust. Has anyone else had this problem? Besides the tips and arguably the sound there is no proof.

As an original owner of a 2002 TA WS6, I received a letter from PONTIAC about 3 - 4 years ago stating that I MIGHT encounter an issue with either catalytic converter and IF I did, it would be covered under original vehicle warranty up to 100,000 miles ( IE: they know they have a problem and it will be cheaper in the long run to fix/replace the cats AFTER a problem arises )
    Don't know what your mileage is but I would call them on a KNOWN catalytic converter issue... talk to a l;ocal factory rep in the area ... Hope this helps.

NBM
    99 TA

You mentioned headers in your original post...do you have those on as well as the catback?
    When I still had a warranty, the dealership told me as long as everything I did was "bolt-ons" then the warranty would be intact, but if I modified any internals (ie: heads/cams) then they wouldnt touch my car.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 WS-6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Pickle86 View Post
    ^ +1 This is what i was i told and i got flowmasters and the dealership paid for the diagnostic and cat all free of charge. first time ever i went to a dealership had work done and didnt have to pay.

midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

Yea print a copy of the letter out (if you have it) and take it with you. Go to another dealership if possible.

The first one I went to looked at me like I was crazy. Sir your warranty ended years ago.

The 2nd dealership had no idea on it but then I blasted the guy in the face (in living color style) BLAM <------- for you guys that remember that and he had no problem fixing it for free.

GM pays the dealership so I don't see why they would have an issue making some money.

I think I still got the letter in my email if you want a copy. I know I sent it to quite a few people on here.

Yellow
    02 CETA#732

Quote Originally Posted by knightryda01 View Post
    Yea print a copy of the letter out (if you have it) and take it with you. Go to another dealership if possible.

The first one I went to looked at me like I was crazy. Sir your warranty ended years ago.

The 2nd dealership had no idea on it but then I blasted the guy in the face (in living color style) BLAM <------- for you guys that remember that and he had no problem fixing it for free.

GM pays the dealership so I don't see why they would have an issue making some money.

I think I still got the letter in my email if you want a copy. I know I sent it to quite a few people on here.
    Would you mind shooting a copy of the letter to me?

Black
    2002 Trans Am

Cool

I think its a dealership thing,cause I went to another dealership and they replaced both with no problems or questions. It felt real good walking out of there and not having to pay for once

I have a Borla CatBack. They warned me first off that if the Cat had been tampered with it might be an issue. He called me and said whoever did the exhaust work did a beautiful job, no issues at all. They replaced the Cat no charge.

Now I'm kind of hoping the other side Cat goes. Any ways to force a failure

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by kheflw View Post
    Now I'm kind of hoping the other side Cat goes. Any ways to force a failure
    drive around with a misfire on that bank for a week or so at that'll kill a cat.

Blog Entries

pewter
    2000 Trans Am

Think the best thing to do is just take the cats out and hollow them out. I did it and put these on and haven't thrown a check engine light. More HP and better sound!!!
    help # 42009
    http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...n-foulers.html

Thread Information