Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Case Of The Squeaks.

I need some help in narrowing down the cause of under body / suspension squeaks.
    I recently acquired a 2002 WS6 with 8,000 miles.
    Obviously not driven much and most of the miles were put on in the earlier years. So far I have changed every fluid and every filter. Also just installed new Continental Extreme Contact tires. Runs out beautifully, no problem there.
    The under carriage is as clean as new. Always in a heated / cooled garage. Really no rain or winter driving.
    As soon as I got it off the transport truck I could hear that old car type squeaking coming from what I believe is the rear suspension. Sounds just like the people next door to you at Motel 6, if you get my drift. I crawled underneath and shot Silicone spray wherever I could see a bushing. All was great for about a day and the squeaking came back with a vengeance. You have to hit the right bump or dip to hear it. But if you push up and down at the rear of the car the old bed springs will sing away. Is there any particular part of the suspension that is historically known to cause this ? I don't think it's the exhaust system but that is being replaced with a Quad Magnaflow within the week and I thought I would wait to see if by chance it actually has something to do with a dry hanger etc.
    So if anyone could make a suggestion to this OCD owner it would be most appreciated.
    Maybe it was a mistake using the Silicone ? Does something like WD40 penetrate better ?

Navy Blue Metallic/Black
    02 camaro z28/01 wife t/a

i have the same problem on my z28 and t/a i think is the lower control arm bushing's but im not sure- i also would like to know this cause?

Red
    99 SS

I have the squeks to 99 ss, but its from the front passenger side and I've looked and looked and can not find it

Sent from my Timmah

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If it has an aftermarket catback, there may be contact where the pipe arches up over the axle on the passenger side. A lot of them are kind of tight in this area and a little contact will result in noise. If that is not it, jounce the car on its suspension and rock it side-to-side to see if you can reproduce the noise and then narrow down its location.

blue
    1999 TransAm

after getting new shocks (all around), i don't really have much squeaking anymore... but do have some other old car noises..

Navy Blue Metallic/Black
    02 camaro z28/01 wife t/a

for me is not the exhaust cause i got a x pipe dump down before the axle. I'm pretty sure is the rear control arms on mine, just go under the car from the rear and get a buddy to press down on the car and you should be able to here it from the bushings. They get old and start to make that old bed noise.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

By luck when installing the Magnaflow Quad Tip exhaust, I pushed up and down on the underside with one hand and trying to "feel" the squeak. Found it. It was the center two bushings on the rear sway bar. I took WD40 and sprayed it through the bushings and instantly I was squeak free ! By the way, I wanted to mention that I also just had a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS installed. It is a great all around new tire recently introduced by Continental. Good grip and quiet operation.

blue
    1999 TransAm

glad you found it... not sure how good WD40 is, ...(assuming there's rubber there?), ..i got this stuff called jig-a-loo: it is a silcone-based lubricant, and it doesn't have the petroleum distillates in it that can be harmful to rubber..

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

No clue what it is, but our PST bushings in our older cars come with a clear grease-type lubricant that is super sticky. If the problem comes back, drop the sway bar and lube the bushings by hand. In lieu of the unknown PST goo, I would use Synthetic Caliper Grease which would have to be "rubber safe" and is also quite sticky.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Redrokit8 View Post
    By the way, I wanted to mention that I also just had a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS installed. It is a great all around new tire recently introduced by Continental. Good grip and quiet operation.
    my next tire change I'm getting EC DW (dont have to worry about snow that often around here) it is a great tire.

Red
    99 SS

still have not found my squeak, im still looking and its drivin me nuts

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    No clue what it is, but our PST bushings in our older cars come with a clear grease-type lubricant that is super sticky. If the problem comes back, drop the sway bar and lube the bushings by hand. In lieu of the unknown PST goo, I would use Synthetic Caliper Grease which would have to be "rubber safe" and is also quite sticky.
    Great advice. I'll look for the Syn Caliper Grease and drop the bar just for future prevention. A knee jerk reaction was to grab the WD40 and spray ! I think the majority of WD40 consists of Whale Oil. Remember, I said I think.
    Thanks to the responders. It's appreciated.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by RedSuperSport View Post
    still have not found my squeak, im still looking and its drivin me nuts
    Check the rubber bump stops for the hatch as they can sqweek sometimes.. They can be adjusted to fit tighter..

Also could be the latch for the hatch too.. Both cases can usually be solved by adjusting the rubber hatch bump stops..

Could possibly be your issue if it's not suspension related..

Red
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Check the rubber bump stops for the hatch as they can sqweek sometimes.. They can be adjusted to fit tighter..

Also could be the latch for the hatch too.. Both cases can usually be solved by adjusting the rubber hatch bump stops..

Could possibly be your issue if it's not suspension related..
    Its suspension related its coming from the front passenger side of the car, I can push down on the front to bounce the car and it starts squeeking bad and everytime I hit a bump especially on the passenger side it squeeks

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Redrokit8 View Post
    Great advice. I'll look for the Syn Caliper Grease and drop the bar just for future prevention. A knee jerk reaction was to grab the WD40 and spray ! I think the majority of WD40 consists of Whale Oil. Remember, I said I think.
    Thanks to the responders. It's appreciated.
    Another thanks due. I found the exact Syn Caliper Grease at Pep Boys. (two small packets per container)
    I found another small squeaker in the left rear speaker. Popped off the grill and siliconed the mounting tabs and that did the trick.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

As a final (I promise) follow up to my squeaks I took WileyCoyote's advice and put down the WD40 and did the following lubrication's using Synthetic Brake Caliper Grease. Inner surface of clam shell, mounting surface where bushing meets axle clamp, inner surface of bushings and end links. I did just a uniform thin coating. This is pretty impressive stuff. I then shot some silicone on the spring bottoms and wherever I could see a movable suspension bushing. Sure is overkill but it's now it's creepy quiet. ASAP I am going to install larger sway bars front & rear plus strut brace from UMI. Their product looks of quality and the bar diameters are just enough to make a difference for everyday driving. Got to be careful not to go too large on the sway bar diameters for street drivers. After these items I'll tackle the shocks.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Ok, not trying to beat this subject to death but I thought this might be of interest to those who are chasing squeaks in the rear suspension. I took WileyCoyote's advice on not using the WD40, got the synthetic brake caliper lube and did the following. Took off the rear sway bar and rubbed a small amount on the inner surfaces of the clam shells, upper bushing mounting surface where it contacts the axle clamp, opened up bushing and coated the inside and finally lubed both end links. While I was under there I also shot silicone wherever there was a soft bushing. I know this is way over the top but there ain't a squeak to be found. Also gave a few shots to the lower portion of each rear spring. It's creepy quiet and you know all I do is wait until I hear something else. For the record I plan on installing the UMI Strut Brace and Front & Rear sway bars in the near future. Their Sway Bar diameters are just enough to make a difference for a street driver.

blue
    1999 TransAm

glad to hear you've got it under control... ...for now... i've got some new squeaks i'm noticing lately, so i should probably give it this treatment too. but, yes... silicone based spray or grease should be good for rubber..

Thread Information