Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

Carbon fiber hood on black TA what do u think

Ok I've been shopping for a hood and I am sold on aTruFiber or I thought I was sold on a TruFiber hood but my buddy was here and said you know a carbon fiber hood would look really cool and I checked $716 clear coated ready to go I wonder ho it would look on my TA WS6 look and GTO looking hood with grill insert they look cool and they come ready to install.My car is black so I think it would look pretty cool.....hum arg

They are paintable if I get bored but I am debating if
    1 Carbon Fiber is out of style
    2 Wonder if it will look good I think so but...
    3 Quality

Opinions would be geat whay do you guys Think???????? I am confused now!

MMM
    2000 Camaro Z28

I've never been a fan of carbon fiber parts all over the place. The ZR1 is the only car I've seen that looks good, but that one is still a little iffy. At the end of the day its your car, do what will make you happy every time you walk up to the car.
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...IMAG0042-1.jpg
    2000 Monterey Maroon Metallic Z28
    M6, BBK Longtubes, SLP lid, Hooker catback, 17" Chrome ZR1s, Hotchkis springs
    1996 Saturn SL2-DD status

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Say no to a fad
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Black is the only color car I'd put a carbon fiber hood on. I can't stand the look of the black hood on non-black cars. Carbon fiber on black doesn't totally suck...

That said, I don't like em on pony/muscle cars, as they have definite rice connotations. Even on the Corvette, which I've discussed in another thread, and got slapped for my opinion Some people do it for the weight savings, but unless you racing em semi-professionally, it's not worth it imho.

I think our cars are rare enough that you don't have to do crazy things to make yours stand out from the crowd, like Mustang owners have to do...

I have no idea about the quality concern, as I've never owned one...

Black

Thanks

I have to agree TruFiber it is Thanks guys I can always count on honesty here cause you don't know me and I appreciate that lol

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

What would the weight savings be if you did the whole car in it? Doors,hatch,front and rear quarters? You can paint it right?

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Yeah they're usually gel-coated and paintable. Many people don't paint them because they want to show off the 'look'. The hood websites usually claim like 40 pounds. So if you could do the whole car I imagine it could be a couple hundred pounds. But I don't think it's possible to do the whole car, nobody makes replacement doors and quarter panels, do they?
    -----

OK I was curious so I searched, didn't take long to realize I was wrong, apparently they do make carbon fiber hoods and fenders, especially for Civics and Eclipses it seems... And 5th gen Camaros and new Mustangs, interesting...

I'm seeing prices of like 1800+ for a door set. Dunno how much for the fenders. Would be expensive to redo your entire car just for weight savings. I guess if you're a serious racer it's worth considering...

Last edited by Schmalgar; 11-28-2010 at 05:56 PM.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    What would the weight savings be if you did the whole car in it? Doors,hatch,front and rear quarters? You can paint it right?
    I plan to rebody mine in it.. The weight savings is tremendous(rp). And yup you can add a layer or 2 of resine/gel or what ever chemical they use and smooth it right out then paint it.. It's a matter of taste I guess. But I don't see a down side to shaving pounds off a car. Lighter = faster and a more efficiant use of whatever power you're putting down.. The less energy your engine has to use to get things movin' the better..imho..
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-29-2010 at 10:37 AM.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Sorry carbon fiber is too rice for my tastes.

Black

Yep have to agree

Quote Originally Posted by sjgreen6 View Post
    I was hoping to cut cost and I was thinking out loud but yeah looks rice to me

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by sjgreen6 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    I was hoping to cut cost and I was thinking out loud but yeah looks rice to me
    If you smooth it and then paint it noone will even really know it's there.. But to each thier own..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    If you smooth it and then paint it noone will even really know it's there.. But to each thier own..
    That looks amazing the engine I men incredible Lots of work I don't mind carbon fibre but I'm scared it will go out of style!!!

White
    2008 Hummer H3

That looks amazing the engine I men incredible Lots of work I don't mind carbon fibre but I'm scared it will go out of style!!!
    Thanks..

You/we drive an American Icon my gear head bro.. They never go out of style..

Red
    1999 Firebird Trans Am

I have to agree TruFiber it is Thanks guys I can always count on honesty here cause you don't know me and I appreciate that lol
    Speaking of the TruFiber carbon fiber ws9 hood, tell me if there is any fitment problems on the passenger side of the hood when you get yours.

Black

hahahaha

Thanks..

You/we drive an American Icon my gear head bro.. They never go out of style..
    Got that one right lol

Black

k

Quote Originally Posted by Suzaku View Post
    Speaking of the TruFiber carbon fiber ws9 hood, tell me if there is any fitment problems on the passenger side of the hood when you get yours.
    No problem

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

ricers do this to show off... we do it for weight savings... i'd still have it painted...

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    ricers do this to show off... we do it for weight savings... i'd still have it painted...
    I might leave a pin stripe where you could see it but not much more..+2 on the paint..

Black

it's decided

I might leave a pin stripe where you could see it but not much more..+2 on the paint..
    I'll just order a fiberglass hood from trufiber or vfn depending on who has better quality control I talked to VFN and they seeemed great couldn't get much from trufibe email no phone and a bit dry responce but If the product is good I don't sleep with them lol

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I'll just order a fiberglass hood from trufiber or vfn depending on who has better quality control I talked to VFN and they seeemed great couldn't get much from trufibe email no phone and a bit dry responce but If the product is good I don't sleep with them lol
    The main problem I usually see with after market hoods is fitment. Fitment of a warped hood on an otherwise strait car looks ass imho.. Throw's the lines of our cars off and draws attention to itself by being mishapen.

I figure I'll do molds of as many panels as I can.. Then do a carrage mold making a "carbon" copy of the entire roller cars shell.. Then flip the car upside down and do a full pan mold and copy it.. I've also been tossing around drilling out all the spot welds to make molds of each and every uin-componet. Doing a tubular center frame, then reconstructing the entire car using my other Camaro as a ref for constructing an entirely new carbon uni-body.. But that process would be a monumental under taking.. So rebody it is. I will already have to make complete doors. That alone will take a ton of time because it will take 2 molds for each half of the doors. Then they'll have to be fused correctly to work right. In a nut shell basicly doing as they do for fiberglass parts but wholey out of much lighter carbon fiber instead. That way I can still do a tubular for the IRS rear and then weld the uni-structure to it then rebody.. MAN, how I wish I could get a set of prints/mechanical/tech drawings for the cars structure..
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-30-2010 at 09:35 PM.

Thread Information