Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

red
    1998 trans am

Angry car wont stay runing

Can anyone help? My car cut off on me, I started it again it ran for a min and then it stalled out again, I did that a few times then it stopped turning over. I couldn't hear the fuel pump runing so I checked it and it was bad so I orrdered the racetronix replacement set up and now it starts but kills after a few seconds. What could be causing it to kill like that

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

VATS issue?

red
    1998 trans am

Not sure how can I test it?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Start with the basics, clean the contacts on your key, or try the spare key to see if it'll start.

Takes fuel, air and spark to make her run... wouldn't hurt to scan it for codes. Since it isn't running now you can't see if the SES is lit. Here is a good VATS thread: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/how-byp...ur-vats-61262/

red
    1998 trans am

I dont have a security light on and the car starts but only runs for a few seconds and then stalls out like its starving for gas. It did give me a trouble code po1080 the map sens the low
    Trying to find its location now

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The MAP sensor is on the very back of the intake manifold, passenger side. Just for giggles - check your ENG SENS fuse in the underhood electrical box. If that is ok - get a fuel pressure gauge on the rail and energize the ignition, check the reading, and then attempt to start it while watching the pressure.

red
    1998 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    The MAP sensor is on the very back of the intake manifold, passenger side. Just for giggles - check your ENG SENS fuse in the underhood electrical box. If that is ok - get a fuel pressure gauge on the rail and energize the ignition, check the reading, and then attempt to start it while watching the pressure.
    Thanks ill find a gauge tomorrow and check the fuse, ill let u know

red
    1998 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by bvar20 View Post
    Thanks ill find a gauge tomorrow and check the fuse, ill let u know
    The fuse was ok didnt get that gauge yet or find the map had traffic court today, ii took a look under the hood for the map sens, its not in plane site, is it ?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You won't see it without a mirror and a flashlight. It is on the very back of the intake manifold up against the firewall. Be careful back there as several members have broken off their OPSU (Oil Pressure Sending Unit) which is located next to the MAP sensor.

red
    1998 trans am

I got a fuel pressure gauge and checked for pressure and the gauge never moved. I took loose the fuel line from the filter and turned the key on and I got gas coming out thru the filter but no pressure at the gauge, what u think about that?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Filter has been replaced? You didn't say which side of the filter you unhooked the line from. When you unhooked the line, was it coming out with force? Our cars run 58 psi for fuel pressure so it should have been squirting out fairly hard.

red
    1998 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Filter has been replaced? You didn't say which side of the filter you unhooked the line from. When you unhooked the line, was it coming out with force? Our cars run 58 psi for fuel pressure so it should have been squirting out fairly hard.
    I took the line off the side going to the fuel rail, I had gas coming thru the filter like a faucet turned on, it wasnt like coming out of a sprayer but seemed to me to be pretty good

red
    1998 trans am

No I haven't repkaced the filter to me it didnt seem to be the problem, I did notice that on my car, not sure if it the same on all but it looks like a pressure regulator connected to the fuel rail and in my service manual it says that the pressure regulator is in the gas tank on the 98

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sure you had the gauge on the end of the rail good depressing the schrader valve? Doesn't make sense you'd have fuel on the rail side of the filter and not at the rail. Check that schrader valve with a screwdriver and see if gas spews out of it before putting your gauge on. You may have a bad valve and/or gauge.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I dont have a security light on and the car starts but only runs for a few seconds and then stalls out like its starving for gas. It did give me a trouble code po1080 the map sens the low
    Trying to find its location now
    Out of curiosity does the engine rev up high when you start it? Also will giving it a little gas prolong it from cutting off? This can be related to a bad MAP sensor if so and I had a similar experience with mine.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

red
    1998 trans am

No it started rough and dies after a few seconds and giving it gas didnt prolong it killing on me, I decided to pull the pump back out because I heard gas droping back in the tank, it was the pressure regulator it opened up so I closed it back and put the clamp back on it, I must have knocked it loose putting the racetronics pump on the sending unit. I droped it back in and it started but now the temp is shooting up to the red the fans are working, I changed the thermostat, and I dont see any leaks at the pump. I did notice that the temp sensor is damaged, but that shouldn't cause an overheating would it?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sounds like the cooling system is airlocked. Our cars can be very finicky this way. With the engine cold, open the radiator cap and squeeze the hoses a couple of times to see if it burps air. You can also rock the car on its suspension a bit. Start the engine and after it runs just enough to rev on it safely crack the throttle several times and keep squeezing the hoses to work the air pocket out. If the temp shoots up, shut it down! Be careful not to blow coolant out the radiator fill cap and watch the belts so you don't lose any fingers.

red
    1998 trans am

It was the coolant temp sensor causing the overheating. After I changed that I nitice the radiator cap was leaking, one thing after another with this thing, also I keep getting a misfire cyl 7. Now I changed the radiator cap twice its still leaking when I ooen the throttle, the miss fire has me puzzled aswell I put a new plug in that cyl it ran like a monster for a few min then the misfire came back same cyl. My next move is gonna be back to the fuel filter and change it, from there open for suggestions. The plug looked black but dry like sut

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Make sure that the ignition wire on that cylinder is properly seated. You should hear/feel one "click" on the plug and two "clicks" on the coil pack.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

It was the coolant temp sensor causing the overheating. After I changed that I nitice the radiator cap was leaking, one thing after another with this thing, also I keep getting a misfire cyl 7. Now I changed the radiator cap twice its still leaking when I ooen the throttle, the miss fire has me puzzled aswell I put a new plug in that cyl it ran like a monster for a few min then the misfire came back same cyl. My next move is gonna be back to the fuel filter and change it, from there open for suggestions. The plug looked black but dry like sut
    leaks out the cap when you rev it? Is it pressurizing the coolant system when you rev the car?

as far as your #7 misfire.....has the car been over rev'd at some point maybe and bent a pushrod? Might want to check that and that number 7 injector....those could be things causing your misfire there.

Thread Information