Thread: Car noises?

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Car noises?

I have an '02 trans am with an M6 with 45K miles and I've notice that with the clutch disengaged there is a slight metallic rattling noise? Also yesterday finally getting the car out in some nicer weather I let the tires loose through 2nd gear in a parking lot and right after there was a loud humming noise coming from the car.. what could either of these be, are they related? I want to run the car at the track in about 2 weeks and just want to make sure there arent any problems before going. Any info and help is much appreciated!

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

it could be anything, we need more info like what part are you hearing it from. Are you hearing it when youre driving only or when you are stopped too?

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

The rattling noise only happens with the clutch disengaged at a complete stop. Yesterday was the first time I had ever heard the humming noise at all. It was fairly loud right after letting the tires loose and would only sound with the car under load and accelerating. Today it seemed a little quieter though. I am unsure to as where it was coming from.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Sounds like you may have a clutch hydraulics or throwout bearing issue. Have you done the drill mod yet or installed an aftermarket master or slave cylinder?

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

usually a humming noise turns out to be bad wheel bearings but if that were the case youd hear them all the time if you are cruising or not. They would also get louder the faster youd go. The rattling noise goes away if you push the clutch in? and then it comes back as soon as you let it out?

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

My bad, the rattling happens with the clutch pushed in, and as far as the humming it seems to be gone today. Yesterday it sounded fierce though, similar humming to low power steering fluid, bad pump noise, etc. All fluids are fine though. I've had the the car for about 6 months and put about 4k miles on it, so far no mods besides a lid. Some of it could maybe be me being paranoid with my first LS1, just wanted some other opinions. The car is super clean, with about 700 miles put on it a year for 4 years from the 2nd owner (I'm the 3rd). Its history is all clean except for the dealership I bought it from having to a put a new rear end in it before letting it off the lot.

Thread Information