Sunset Orange
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Can I use the excuse "High Performance Stains"?

Well, I just bought a 2002 Trans Am WS6, has a beautiful body, all the body lines were perfect, the interior was just as perfect... Pop'd the hood, the motor was really clean, looked under the car, everything was pretty clean... The guy I bought it from said he didn't move it for a year, but he just cleaned off all the dust... There was no leaks from where it was parked an the car started right up, no problems, just needed new pads and tires...

After the first day, I was a little annoyed, my Tranny was leaking all over, i'm thinking the front seals are spunt, the Tranny Fluid is burnt black, I recently changed the engine oil, but I don't want to flush the transmission untill I find out what the leaks are from...

The car is an automatic, an I could tell this guy was putting the car in neutral, gasing it, then popin it into drive, the tires told on him, cuz allignment was all good, but the tires wore oddly, in the fact that there isn't bumps or weird marks on tires it just balder in certain spots.

what would be a good solution for the leaks?
    Also does the paper clip trick work on the 02 Trans Am computers XD ?
    Last edited by Draik; 08-09-2009 at 11:35 PM.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Draik View Post
    Well, I just bought a 2002 Trans Am WS6, has a beautiful body, all the body lines were perfect, the interior was just as perfect... Pop'd the hood, the motor was really clean, looked under the car, everything was pretty clean... The guy I bought it from said he didn't move it for a year, but he just cleaned off all the dust... There was no leaks from where it was parked an the car started right up, no problems, just needed new pads and tires...

After the first day, I was a little annoyed, my Tranny was leaking all over, i'm thinking the front seals are spunt, the Tranny Fluid is burnt black, I recently changed the engine oil, but I don't want to flush the transmission untill I find out what the leaks are from...

The car is an automatic, an I could tell this guy was putting the car in neutral, gasing it, then popin it into drive, the tires told on him, cuz allignment was all good, but the tires wore oddly, in the fact that there isn't bumps or weird marks on tires it just balder in certain spots.

what would be a good solution for the leaks?
    Also does the paper clip trick work on the 02 Trans Am computers XD ?
    How do you know he was neutral dropping it?
    2002 Camaro Z28 Bolt ons, Flowmaster catback w/3" QTP electric cutout, Superchips tuned, Granatelli MAF, SLP cold air induction Lid & filter, ZEX powertune plugs, Taylor 10.4mm wires, 160 T-stat w/fan control, Eibach sportlines & BFG-KDW's on 17" SLP SS rims.

Sunset Orange
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Well the main reason i could tell is the weird wear on the tires in the back, an it isn't from allignment. All the leaks are from the front, some of which seems to be antifreeze an some of which looks like Tranny fluid, so i'm assuming it is the front seals that got spunt around for the tranny, an I am not sure bout the radiatior ;.;

Flame Red / Orange Custom
    1998 Trans Am

have you tryed cleaning off everything then driving it around like 10 mi then get back under there and look for were the fluid is comeing from? This could help you find the spot were it's leaking from.
    98 Trans Am Custom Paint, Ghost Skuls On Racing Stripe + Custom Front Lip, :MODs Tubular K-member, Tubular Upper and lower A-arms, Tubular Control Arms, 4:10's, Cam L-.567/.575 D@.05-.212/.218,1.85 Roller Rockers, P&P Heads, ARH Headers & HF Cats & Y-Pipe, SLP loudmouth catback, +'s

Living the Dream LS1FirehawkWS6's Avatar

2000 Trans-Am
    2007 Silverado 2500HD LTZ

Where to begin.....

Finding your leak
    Some people get a giant piece of cardboard and park there car ontop of it overnight. The best results come from a very flat, indoor surface. There should be stains or wet-spots on the cardboard the next morning. This might not tell you EXACTLY where it's leaking from, but it'll give you it's final exit point. Then all you have to do is chase it up to the source.

The Solution
    Bad gaskets/seals are bad gasket/seals... all you can do is replace them. Black tranny-sauce, however, doesn't sound very good at all. I would flush it immediately, reguardless whether it's leaking or not. Your valve-body will thank you.

My question to you is: Is this a project car? or a daily driver?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 WS6

Tires wont tell you crap about neutral drops.

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

If there are strange bald spots then he may have been locking the brakes, not neutral dropping it- neutral dropping would burn the tires somewhat evenly unless the shocks are worn out and you have wheel hop.

As for the trans- clean it up with some degreaser and some brake cleaner. Wipe it down, drive it around and then park it. Let it sit for a bit then crawl under it and see where the leak is coming from. If it is coming from the front seal, you're talking about a big job. If it is just from the pan gasket, change that and the filter out and then flush out the fluid.

Sunset Orange
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

thx u very much, i found leaks, havn't fixed all of em yet
    should of saw the radiator, SO MUCH APOXXXY... hmm needlessly sexxxxy
    replaced the radiator with a brand new 1, got new tires an brake pads.
    1 of the main leaks was caused by a bad engine seal
    To fix the engine seal, i need to take the driveshaft an transmission out first?

Flame Red / Orange Custom
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Draik View Post
    thx u very much, i found leaks, havn't fixed all of em yet
    should of saw the radiator, SO MUCH APOXXXY... hmm needlessly sexxxxy
    replaced the radiator with a brand new 1, got new tires an brake pads.
    1 of the main leaks was caused by a bad engine seal
    To fix the engine seal, i need to take the driveshaft an transmission out first?
    if its the rear main seal you have to pull drive shaft trany tourq converter (stall)/clutch flywheel/flexplate then you will have access to the bolts. Take the rear seal plate off (dont forget there are two bolts that go from the rear of the oil pan to the rear main seal plate undo those too) and replace every seal/gasket (make sure you replace the rear o-ring crank seal cause you dont want to have to take it back appart later to do this again migh as well do it all now) then make sure all of the surfaces were the gasket gose are clean (DO NOT USE SCRAPER TO GET GUNK OFF YOU COULD DAMAGE THE SURFACE FOR GASKET ON BLOCK, USE A PLASTIC PUTTY KNIFE OR PLASTIC RAZOR BLADE) you can also use laquer thinner to clean oil residue it works really well. Then reinstall and tourq to spec witch is 18 lb Ft.
    Hope this helps for more tourq specs go here >>>>>>> http://www.texasfbody.org/TorqueSpecs/<<<<<

Sunset Orange
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

okee doke thx u Customta98 ^.^ i got somethin to do nxt weekend, an the car is my Daily Driver, still scared that it has to b parked in school parking lot (of doomy doom), i got away with that excuse with my friends dad he kind of busted up laughing.

Thread Information