Thread: Buying a WS6

orange
    1977 Corvette

Buying a WS6

I am planning to buy a 1998-2002 trans am ws.6. does the year matter? i dont want a limited edition one, just a ram air. what year is the best? i still have to sell my 1977 corvette first though, but that cannot happen until the snow melts and i can make the finishing touches. give me some feedback, thanks.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by ls1_bandit View Post
    I am planning to buy a 1998-2002 trans am ws.6. does the year matter? i dont want a limited edition one, just a ram air. what year is the best? i still have to sell my 1977 corvette first though, but that cannot happen until the snow melts and i can make the finishing touches. give me some feedback, thanks.
    Year doesnt really matter. 2001 and 2002 have some updates but nothing major.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Year doesnt really matter. 2001 and 2002 have some updates but nothing major.
    If the same price, so you don't have to deal with !egr and upgrading to LS6 intake, go with 01-02.

If you can find a really good deal on a 98-00, go with that and use the money saved for MODS.

Don't over pay for 01-02 just b/c it is an 01-02.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    If the same price, so you don't have to deal with !egr and upgrading to LS6 intake, go with 01-02.

If you can find a really good deal on a 98-00, go with that and use the money saved for MODS.

Don't over pay for 01-02 just b/c it is an 01-02.
    Good advice. I just skipped the ls6 intake with my 2000 and went to a fast lsx.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Good advice. I just skipped the ls6 intake with my 2000 and went to a fast lsx.
    Exactly what I would do.

orange
    1977 Corvette

i plan to get the fast lsx intake. when i get this ws.6 i want it to be heard! what exhaust delivers the deepest and loudest noise? what cam to go with it? best brand of exhaust cutouts? should i take out the cats?

orange
    1977 Corvette

is there any appearence differences with the different years? like the bumpers or the wing?

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

The wheels are different on the 01-02 WS6 Trans Am's. They have the speed lines. The looks are all the same depending on if it's a Formula, Trans Am, WS6, fire bird etc, excluding special editions (Firehawk, CETA, ANNIV. edition's etc.)

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Performance differences between years are nill. 01-02s do have better rod bolts tho from what I hear and that is a plus. Personally I'd get whichever one looks best. IE, no bubbling sail panel or cracked door panels.
    Last edited by INMY01TA; 12-24-2010 at 01:59 PM.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

i plan to get the fast lsx intake. when i get this ws.6 i want it to be heard! what exhaust delivers the deepest and loudest noise? what cam to go with it? best brand of exhaust cutouts? should i take out the cats?
    True duals w/ longtubes
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

White
    1998 Trans Am

Cool

The differences are minor like the LS6 intake so the main thing I would look for is condition exterior and interior. Also get the lowest mileage and least beat on car.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

You get what you can afford.

I bought a 2002, because I figured it will be the most sought after Firebird because it is the "Last of the Breed" (last year made) But now there is NO way I'm going to sell it, because it handles and the accleration is like no other car I owned.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

iwhat exhaust delivers the deepest and loudest noise?
    LTs (any brand), off road Y (if you're not going with true duals) and the SLP Loudmouth. This is an EXTREMELY loud and VERY RASPY exhaust. If you do highway commuting and you're anything other than a 6 speed car with factory 3.42s, you'll hate it. Whether its the day after installation, or a couple weeks after. 99% of people that have had this on there, have hated it doing long commutes. I know Mr. Luos is one of them.

I like the sound of LTs with TSPs true duals. Sounds awesome. Magnaflow mufflers also sound great on both a y-pipe setup and true duals.

I have factory exhaust manifolds, SLP Y (dunno what brand of cats), and the SLP LM1, and I HAVE to do over 70mph on the highway, otherwise I hear the drone. On the 3rd day of commuting, I began to hate it... and it doesn't even have LTs.

what cam to go with it?
    What are you trying to do? Chase dyno numbers? Are you definite about what type of trans you're bound and determined to settle for? Never had a camm'ed M6 before, but they can go a little higher without immediate clutch replacement on easy driving after cam installation. 4L60E cars need stalls. When shopping around, ask the sales rep from whatever company you're dealing with, as to what stall they reccomend when you decide on your cam.

What are your goals? Are you going to spray? Are you going to make it a daily driver? Weekend cruiser but primarily a track car? Or is this a purpose built track only car? When choosing a cam, other things come into play such as valvetrain upgrades (which is a given). Automatics need a stall, 6 soeeds need a clutch. Both need gears. An intake upgrade is necessary (01, 02 cars have the LS6). Patrick G and AFR got together and did some in-depth technical analysis of H/C/I upgrades a few years back (2007). Long story into a one liner... A cam with over .600"s of lift, will benefit better with more than just an LS6 intake, as that's about the max flow it can support. You can read more over there. Driveability is a main concern for most folks that DD their cars everyday. Things to think about, alot of research can be done on this site about this question...

best brand of exhaust cutouts?
    Not a big fan of cut-outs. Can't answer this one. I've seen a handful of cars with QTPs. Can't say anymore about it though, just don't know

should i take out the cats?
    Does your area require smog testing? Do you plan on shelling out $100+, and having downtime for a handful of days for a mail order tune? If this isn't a problem, I say most definately! Plus, with cats, it keeps the car quiet. My buddy has a H/C '99 SS with LTs, Borlamouth, and a catted Y, and it still doesn't run very loud. Hits hard, just not that loud.

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

orange
    1977 Corvette

i want a 2001-2002 trans am ram air ws.6 with the t56 6speed. i want the cam and exhaust for the added performance and i want the sound because the cam gives it that deeper sound. i going to b drivingthis car as a somewhat daily driver. i will drive my explorer on the days i dont drive my t/a. i want the cool air intake, cam, longtubes with exhaust, lower it, new shocks and springs, new wheels and tires, some appearance stuff such as a 2 or 3 gauge pod on the driver a-pillar and small details. i want the cutouts so i dont have to deal with the 5-0. i live in iowa so i am not sure on the smog testing. i will do almost all of the labor and once i buy the car, almost all of my extra money (i rarly spend a dime) will go into my t/a.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

You better make sure you really want the 6 speed. With that tranny comes clutch issues, rear end issues, slave cylinder issues. With the auto, the rear end is babied a lot better, and no clutch issues. And a stall is a easy upgrade.

orange
    1977 Corvette

i want the 6 speed. love manuals and they are more fun. i drive my brothers 2003 z06 and ive never driven a more fun car.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    You better make sure you really want the 6 speed. With that tranny comes clutch issues, rear end issues, slave cylinder issues. With the auto, the rear end is babied a lot better, and no clutch issues. And a stall is a easy upgrade.
    I would never have my car in anything but a 6 speed.

The clutch issues are easily revolved via the upgraded GM slave cylinder and DOT4 high temp fluid.

The rear issues are only due to the extra shock from dropping the clutch.

The 4L60E has its own set of issues. Plenty of guys with stock cars end up bouncing off the limiter between shifts because the trans is on its way out. They also have cooling issues (upgrading to a larger cooler is necessary), they get much worse fuel economy than the M6's, and they are useless for road course track events.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Hey don't get me wrong, I wanted my m6 and wouldn't trade it, just making sure you're aware of the dangers.

Thread Information