Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Buying Trans Am - what to look for?

i'm thinking about buying a 2001 WS6 Trans Am i found (with 19,500 original miles!). what should i be looking for? i've already checked the Carfax (it's clean), but is there anything else you experts think i should be checking out on the car (good or bad)?

i'm going to look at it tomorrow, so any help would definitely be appreciated

Artic White
    2002 Ws6

well i am no expert but i had went and looked at a 02 ws6 and the carfax was also clean. BUT when i opened the doors you could see the tape marks on the inside of the door trim showing it had been painted once before and he would never confess that it had but i had my friend with me who paints cars for a living and he is the one who noticed it. That told me that it had been wrecked and just not turned in. So in other words i would say check all the jams for any sign of painting. Just a thought

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

look for dents in the fender, check for linement in the door lines and make sure the t-tops fit nice..(all stuff caused by the frame bending...happens alot espec. when driving hard and taking corners fast..like me ) check rear end..make sure the fluid isn't dripping on the floor. um take it out for a test drive and make sure everything shifts smooth..it should with 19xxx on it. Oh and check the a/c condensor..hopes this help.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

when the car runs, throw a couple of revs. If you hear a loud ticking noise from the valvetrain that increases in speed as the revs go up and decreases when the throttle comes down, then the pushrods are bent. Use your finger's between the door gaps to check for any find of misalignment. Tape marks is a good thing to check, but check aroudn the emblems, if you see the paint seems a little weird, it's been repainted. Take it for a test drive and see if it runs smooth or rough at idle and cruise. Listen for any weird noises, loud rearend or a loose suspension

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

ok that loud ticking noise your describing..what it if only happens somtimes on start up and goes away once the car is warmed up??? is it still prob bent pushrods??? i thought it was the notorious piston slap OR my belt squeaking as it seems to happen more when its humid ( dewy) out

Bright Silver Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Piston slap is more of a clacking sound when you start it up. My car has it --but it goes away when warm and the motor does not burn oil.

burgandy
    85 Z28 450 hp

Tony that start up clacking is normal the oil is in the bottom of the pan and not to the top of the engine yet. As long as it goes away right away its cool. Everybody here is right on with there comments I wanted to add - start the car right away and let it run while you are checking everything out on the car then test drive it after it has been running for at least ten minutes. Test drive it for at least 15 min going through all the gears and whatnot. I found a blown head gasket on one I drove recently It ran great when I first started driving it and then the temp went up and ran like crap. I came back pulled the dipstick and water mixed with oil. I asked the guy when he was going to tell me about the blown head gasket. He replied what blown head gasket

Pewter
    2000 Ws6 pewter

I'm starting to think we all hti the pedal don't we? I think th majority of our cars are going to an early grave XD.... In fact I have seen about a 400% drop in the number of SW6's on the road this year.... I think some dumbasses are racing and crashing em.

My father(I know.... I'm almost 22) still harangs me about hitting it..... even when i'm not.... guess he doesn't realize my car starts in 2nd?

But yeah... if you hear any knocking at all..... I think the car's not gonna last till 150,000

Silver
    2002 Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by bwinch View Post
    well i am no expert but i had went and looked at a 02 ws6 and the carfax was also clean. BUT when i opened the doors you could see the tape marks on the inside of the door trim showing it had been painted once before and he would never confess that it had but i had my friend with me who paints cars for a living and he is the one who noticed it. That told me that it had been wrecked and just not turned in. So in other words i would say check all the jams for any sign of painting. Just a thought
    Keep in mind that there was a problem with the driver side door hinges that GM noticed at one point during the 2002 model year. It could have been done at the factory.

White
    1999 Trans Am

And my car was repainted, but not because of a collision, just because it got KEYED. But yeah, good rule of thumb anyways because people drive these cars way hard and you never know their history.

Black on Black
    2001 Firebird T/A WS6

Check for the little annoying things too...like the damn window motor speed. I had my WS6 01 for about 3 months after I bought it in May of 05 and my driver window motor died out and I had to replace it and now I've noticed that the passenger side motor is starting to give out. Maybe you can knock a few hundred off. It's not much, but it's something.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Make sure you check to make sure it is a real WS6. You can check the door tag for the code or call your Pontiac service center with the last 8 of the vin.

Black
    2002 TransAm Firehawk

Before i looked at my car, I borrowed my buddy's engine stethascope. He is a mechanic here in town, most mechanics have them, and went around the the motor. I used them in the past, if you can find one, ask the the guy how to use one, I dont want ot bore everyone here...Dont get scared at cold start ups, LS1's are little "ticky" sounding, most all aluminum motors are louder at start up. Good Luck!

Gold Member - fadjur
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

usual maintenance items

the usual wear items:

rotors - warped (ft/rr) $200
    window motors $75
    tire wear - allignment $80-$600
    burnt out body lights $10-200
    battery $80
    front light motors $80-400

The good news is that if it needs the above subtract it and do it yourself (except allignment) -- then you will have a NEW car. get a spare window motor on ebay for $25.

Impounded
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by jcws6 View Post
    i'm thinking about buying a 2001 WS6 Trans Am i found (with 19,500 original miles!). what should i be looking for? i've already checked the Carfax (it's clean), but is there anything else you experts think i should be checking out on the car (good or bad)?

i'm going to look at it tomorrow, so any help would definitely be appreciated
    Maybe, even try finding out who owned before? Talk with previous owner.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Check the rear axle for any noticeable leaks or fluid on it.......

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Thanks Guys!

thanks for all your help. the first TA i looked at didn't work out, but i ended up finding a slightly modded black '02 WS6 6speed with under 11,000 miles (basically brand new). so i'm once again a Firebird owner, and I couldn't be happier!

thanks for all your help. the first TA i looked at didn't work out, but i ended up finding a slightly modded black '02 WS6 6speed with under 11,000 miles (basically brand new). so i'm once again a Firebird owner, and I couldn't be happier!
    Don't forget to post pics

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Congrats man!!!

Bright Silver Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Have fun

Thread Information