Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ALRIGHT NOW wont u listen

though you cant hear..
    i love you sweet leaf!!!

brand new and im full of questions!

Hi all, im new here and i have lots of questions and info to share with you guys, il try to take it slow i dont want to ask or tell to much at one time, basically what brings me here is my father in law, he has asked me to help him with his ls1, i guess he wants to make this a father son project how knows, anyway i was wanting to know what kind of mods bolt on and serve a very good price for HP ratio, this guys loaded so money isnt really an issue, he doesnt know much about cars but he does have a love for them, i on the otherhand am quite skilled and "knowing" so we make a good team, the car is a 1999 midnight metallic blue tan convertible top Trans Am, it has 110,000 miles on it, its his baby, we took it to the track last summer and it ran a 14.2. i dont remember mph but this it totally stock complete with a dirty paper air filter and 50lbs of golf clubs in the back, he recently took and had it "tuned" for $400, they put it on the dyno, then tuned the ecm/cpu then re-dynoed it, hp at the wheels went from a sloppy 262hp to a still sloppy 280hp, they told him that when they initally dynoed it that there was a noise comming from the rear end and they sugested that it be taken care of before the complete there tests, needless to say he ended up with a new trans, drive shaft and a rearend, i dont know specifications of any of it but i was told its all "high performance" who knows, so anyway know hes pumped from feeling the extra 18hp from the $4,000 upgrade.... lol so he wants more..wel start slow i dont expect a full page of mods and prices and where to get them...although it would be nice lol

thanks -Adam

Arctic White
    2001 WS.6

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Formula

I'll start with the basics.

Basics
    1. lid
    2. Long Tube headers/Off Road Y-Pipe
    3. Catback
    4. Drag Radials
    5. Lowering kit. (I suggest the Eibach Pro-Kit)
    6. Adjustible Panhard Bar
    7. Lower Trailing Arms
    8. Sway Bars
    9. Poly Eurathane Engine and Tranny Mounts
    10. Spark Plugs/ Spark Plug Wires
    11. All The Free Mods

Then

1. Pushrods
    2. Valve Springs
    3. Camshaft
    4. Intake Manifold and Throttle Body
    5. New Tune to Compensate for additional mods.
    6. Head Stud Kit.
    7. High Performance Oil Pump

This should put you at around 390 to 410 at the rear wheels
    98 Formula M6, Hurst Billet Shifter, Zr-1 Wheels, Eibach Pro-Kit,
    BMR Lower Trailing Arms, Adjustible Panhard Bar

Custom Tune with Speed Density, 918's, Manly Pushrods
    400 Cam (.226/.226 .591/.591),Ported oil Pump
    Pacesetter LT's/ORY, Magnaflow Catback.

though you cant hear..
    i love you sweet leaf!!!

ok, l he told me he wants to keep it a sleeper, so no hood or "lid" as its called here which sucks i know..but im sorta the same way...being a Fiero owner myself with a few goodies under the hood that still looks stock., but whats all this about the intake manifold? im really interested in that, what all can you tell me about it? whats $$ where to get it and hoe to install..i read somewhere that it bypasses the egr...which im not to keen about., and what about descreening the MAF?

oh by the way i forgot to add that this has an auto trans (blaa i know) and ws6 wheels/w huge tires...i believe 295/40/17's with the posi rear end it will burn em off an entire block..with tcs off ofcorse..

white
    2002 z28

Red
    2001 ws6

get a stall on the auto trans

though you cant hear..
    i love you sweet leaf!!!

stall? like 3400 or less? and that sounds like a very expensive labor intensive mod lol..i dont know if im up to pulling his trans in his garage floor...unless its acually easy...car on ramps, remove driveshaft, remove bellhousing bolts..posibly exhaust in the way?? could be done in a days work i guess..now that wont add HP but what 1 or 2 tenths? and whats more on this intake manifold?? how much hp does that claim? and does it get rid of the egr?

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

by lid, we mean on top of the filter, instead of the stock one, can't see it from outside the car anyways, so keeps the sleeper look. pssst kinda hard to make a F-Body look like a sleeper anyways, lol. they allready have that aggressive "I'll kick your ass" look, stock.

sleeper mods:
    lid, LTs-high flow catted Y-pipe, muffler, underdrive pulley, LS6 intake manifold (or FAST 90/90 if you decide to install ported heads and a cam), sleeper cam maybe somewhere around a 218-224 duration, .561-.586 lift, LSA 116-118 (possibly), or just ported heads. ThunderRacing.com, TexasSpeedandPerformance.com and many other speed shops have some nice sleeper cams. check out site sponsors, hell call any of them, they can help you decide. and don't forget suspension, bare minimum: sub-frame connectors, relocation brackets, lower control arms. throw in a torgue arm, pan hard bar, tubular K-member (for weight reduction), upper control arms, springs-or basically full suspension and really feel a difference...LOL. the possibilities are damn near endless.

O, I am guessing it is a manual, right??? If so, start looking at clutches, once the mods start, the stock clutch tends to start acting up on ya. Being a 99 wanna change out clutch (no CenterForce), and change out the slave cylinder.

I think I struck some of the beginning mods for a descent "sleeper" in all this info...haha.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by bad boy 99 View Post
    stall? like 3400 or less? and that sounds like a very expensive labor intensive mod lol..i dont know if im up to pulling his trans in his garage floor...unless its acually easy...car on ramps, remove driveshaft, remove bellhousing bolts..posibly exhaust in the way?? could be done in a days work i guess..now that wont add HP but what 1 or 2 tenths? and whats more on this intake manifold?? how much hp does that claim? and does it get rid of the egr?
    you want a 3600-3800 stall. and a stall can actually net you up to .5 off your times. also dont go with DR's if your not wanting to replace your 10bolt

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Yep, if it isn't a manual then definately a stall is close to number 1. that alone will make a WORLD of difference.

white
    2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    you want a 3600-3800 stall. and a stall can actually net you up to .5 off your times. also dont go with DR's if your not wanting to replace your 10bolt
    x2 stall is prob the best mod besides some spray, but your going sleeper soo, but also think... a sleeper only last soo long on the strip, expecially the street..

though you cant hear..
    i love you sweet leaf!!!

yes it is an auto trans, ok so a 3800 stall? that wont be over kill for a near stock ls1??, how much $$ for the TC?..and whats a DR?? being he just replaced his 10 bolt im sure he doesnt want it again lol...ok lid meaning air box, now the air boxxes are a 2 part right? you have to cut restrictions from one and just buy the other? im confused as you can tell., does buying a high performance MAF help any?, the ls6 intake manifold only nets 6hp i read..not a very good gain for 500$

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by bad boy 99 View Post
    yes it is an auto trans, ok so a 3800 stall? that wont be over kill for a near stock ls1??, how much $$ for the TC?..and whats a DR?? being he just replaced his 10 bolt im sure he doesnt want it again lol...ok lid meaning air box, now the air boxxes are a 2 part right? you have to cut restrictions from one and just buy the other? im confused as you can tell., does buying a high performance MAF help any?, the ls6 intake manifold only nets 6hp i read..not a very good gain for 500$
    ok for a nearly stock i'd run a 3600. DR stands for drag radials. The bottom of the airbox is very restrictive..you can cut it..and buy a lid also..or just go with a great cai like voliant..that will net you some noticeable power. dont mess with your maf...aftermarket mafs tend to mess with your engine. the ls6 manifold nets you around 10-15 actually on average...i'd go with the fast/fast set up..either 78/78 or 90/90.

white
    2002 z28

i wouldnt go any higher then a 3400 stall on stock or even spraying NX, \

DR;s= drag radials , street slicks with groves

and the air box is maybe a 2 part , lid and lwr part , but for the free air mod you just have to cut the bottom, and its free,

for the ls6 intake, its GREAT, lots use it and is much better, i thiink it gives mpre the 6 hp some see 15 hp, but the more mods the better it will perform, plus it eliminates the egr for cleaner look

white
    2002 z28

and dont replace the stock MAF its not nessaarry

white
    2002 z28

sorry didnt mean to post anweres twice, milk man got me

98' trans am

your stealing my thunder greatwhite j/k

white
    2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    your stealing my thunder greatwhite j/k
    sorry brother, just a slow typer

haha,

listen to the milk man he knows his stuff

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

even if the LS6 manifold increased HP by 6 RWHP (which it doesn't, it increases it by more than 6), it increases it throughout the power curve (all RPMs) not just peak. So great investment.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    sorry brother, just a slow typer

haha,

listen to the milk man he knows his stuff
    no prob man

Thread Information