Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Awaiting Activation

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Brakes and headers

K so I'm looking to get some new brakes in the ws6, (pads and rotors), no clue which direction to go. I want a decent upgrade from stock can anyone help me out? Also I'm trying to get some LT headers but I don't have a clue which ones to get! I'm looking for some good performance so if anyone can help me out with this too it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I upgraded to slotted rotors on the front. I think they are the Power Slot brand, but I'm not sure. They work well and make a huge difference when stopping in the rain. I wouldnt worry about upgradeing the rear cause most of your stopping is on the front, unless you plan on doing serious racing its really not worth it. I've heard bad things about drilled rotors, but havent had any experence with them so I cant give you any opinion on them.

For Headers go with Stainless steel, no matter what you get. If you want evey single bit of power out of your car Kooks or American Racing are your best ones, if your on a budget go with Pacesetter.

Since you live in Cali you may want to look into your local regulations on LTs before you go all out with them.

Awaiting Activation

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Ok thanks. Yea I was looking at power slot as an option with hawk pads. And I think I'm leaning towards kooks, seems like they're a trusted brand. Newb question I know but do LT's bolt up to the stock exhaust?

Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

You can get the Y pipe to line up to the stock catback yes

Oh and by the way LTs in california are NOT legal. But a big percentage of Fbody owners dont seem to care. Im on of them

Awaiting Activation

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Lol well I'm gonna be one of them. I have a buddy that does smog so it's not an issue lol. And when I bought the car it already had an aftermarket exhaust setup with a magnaflow muffler and different pipping so I have to check that out and make sure everything will fit right
    Last edited by WS6Rob; 04-26-2009 at 03:51 PM.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am WS6 A4

I got the rotoworks slotted and crossdrilled rotors from WS6sore and they work great. As for LT many people on hear go with pacesetter but I went with Hooker Super Comp LT's and got them for around $450 and were ceramic coated.

Slowass SUX!!

09 Sierra Denali AWD
    2001 T/A WS6 NBM

http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111912 headers Very good ones at a GREAT PRICE!!!

i got my rotors (drilled and Slotted) from here
    http://store.r1concepts.com/Items/It...ne%20-%20Front

NBM
    99 TA

I have kooks LTs and love them, another brand that I have only heard good things about is QTP...both are comparable, most people I know just go with whichever one is on sale at the time. Also, just wondering, but why are you staying with a stock exhaust? That will restrict the performance of LTs.

Red
    2002 Trans Am WS6 (M6)

Quote Originally Posted by peterlawl84 View Post
    I have kooks LTs and love them, another brand that I have only heard good things about is QTP...both are comparable, most people I know just go with whichever one is on sale at the time. Also, just wondering, but why are you staying with a stock exhaust? That will restrict the performance of LTs.
    Agree with all above. I have kooks as well and enjoy them - easy install. they aren't cheap but they're stainless so you won't have to replace them anytime soon. There are lots of header choices and most flow decently - decide on your price range and start looking for something in that range. As above, the stock exhaust will restrict your flow - get a different catback or duals.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have the QTP's(WS6store) and the price was good and quality on they was great. I was happy and saved a little money so I could buy my pulleys and a new fuel pump since mine was on it way out.
    I got my drilled/slotted rotors on Ebay for $150 and 10K later there still working great. I got some EBC red stuff pads at WS6store with earls stainless lines(great upgrade for the money, greatly improved pedal feel).
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Awaiting Activation

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Thanks for all the help guys! and its not the stock exhaust the piping and muffler are different, but I would like to run true duals in the near future. Do pulleys make a decent difference in our cars?

Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

Im sure they do but at a very minimum. In my opinion too expensive for what youre gonna gain

White
    1998 Trans Am

Ok here's my though. ASP says therte pulleys make 15hp. Figure 10hp in average real life install. A pulley are under $200, and like $220 if you have an auto and need the alternator pulley. I wouldn't call it to expensive for the gain. Cat backs don't get you much more and cost 3+times as much. As far as install I paid $20 so it's a cheap install.
    Not really much that gives you anymore hp than that for the cost.

Awaiting Activation

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    Ok here's my though. ASP says therte pulleys make 15hp. Figure 10hp in average real life install. A pulley are under $200, and like $220 if you have an auto and need the alternator pulley. I wouldn't call it to expensive for the gain. Cat backs don't get you much more and cost 3+times as much. As far as install I paid $20 so it's a cheap install.
    Not really much that gives you anymore hp than that for the cost.
    did you get yours from ws6store? and how much of a difference did you feel?

White
    1998 Trans Am

Yes I bough almost everything from there. Prices are good and shipping is fast and never have the backorder issues I have had with other places.Been waiting over 2 weeks for a diff. cover that was supposed to come with my gears from Tunder racing. Nothing I'm not used to when I order from them at least one part always takes forever. Hard to say how much of a difference there was since i did the LS6 intake and a full tune up at the same time. it did run alot better though. I know when I had my 5.0 you could tell the difference. I figure it like this. The combo of that with all the other parts got me to where I am at. With out the pulley I would have less power. Just add all the small things toghter and in the end it makes a huge difference. Like the Ported TB not a buig gain part but with everything else it make a difference. my car started in the 280 something range when 1st dynoed over a year ago and last time it was 342 or 343 last year and wioth the new tune last week and a few other parts like the TB since then it should hit at least 350rwhp. Not bad for an auto with just bolt ons. With a 6spd it would be higher. With the 3.73's it goes down the road.

Awaiting Activation

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

awesome well thanks for the help, im gonna be ordering all these parts soon I just need to get some more cash flow first haha. Did you install the ls6 intake yourself? and is it better than the bbk one?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Pulley for a bolt-on is a waist for what you could spend on more proven gains. Ls-6 does not heatsoak and flows just as well. You do need a y-pipe to go w/ the headers. And look out for the opsu when changing out the manifold.

White
    1998 Trans Am

So what are these more proven gains? I'm always looking for more power. I have about a 4 weeks of suspension parts I'm installing before I have the stall and the cam done at the end of June begining of July.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by WS6Rob View Post
    awesome well thanks for the help, im gonna be ordering all these parts soon I just need to get some more cash flow first haha. Did you install the ls6 intake yourself? and is it better than the bbk one?
    I had the LS6 install at the shop that sold me it. Cam off a 02 TA that got a Fast 90/90 setup. Your car should already have it so just have your throttle body ported and polished. I don't plan on doing a larger intake till I get the new motor built next year. The LS6 is enough for a bolt on cam car. I think its 2000 and newer have a LS6 but you can get them used and cheaper than a BBK
    Last edited by RyanJM; 04-27-2009 at 06:57 PM.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    So what are these more proven gains? I'm always looking for more power. I have about a 4 weeks of suspension parts I'm installing before I have the stall and the cam done at the end of June begining of July.
    Hell you have more done, your just short heads and gears before you go for bigger cubes. That's where people start dropping bank for the fast and then spend even more to port it out just a bit. Things like underdrive pulley help spin the motor faster, but I would leave that for when you do the cam swap since your face is going to be right in there and all the shit in the way is going to be out. Same w/ water pump it free's up the motor but for the money it takes it would be cheaper to mill stock heads (go buy new head bolts, and gaskets included) and you still would get more hp.

For him porting the throttle body would be a better option, and though debatable if he gets a tune pop out the maf screen (It's debatable I know, and I would not do it unless it was before a tune).

Thread Information