Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Borla Exhaust Question

Just had a Borla cat-back exhaust (Single tips) installed on my TA last night. It's much quieter than I expected. The guy at the exhaust shop told me to wait a couple of days and it should get louder, the computer has to adjust to the new exhaust and the muffler needs to break in. Is this true? Also, how much louder is the sound going to get?

Also, he used the clamps that came with the exhasut and put a small spot weld on each clamp. I wanted him to weld the pipes instead of using the clamps, but he told me using the claps are better. What do you think?

2000 Trans Am

I think you should have gone with slp loudmouth......mine is loud as shit and still sounds incredible, and not over priced like borla
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

I don't like the tips on the SLP, plus I got the Borla's at a really good deal....

Does anyone have the cat-back borla system?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 1TA LS1 View Post
    I don't like the tips on the SLP, plus I got the Borla's at a really good deal....

Does anyone have the cat-back borla system?
    I do, it will get louder.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I do, it will get louder.
    Did you use the clamps or did you weld?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Did you use the clamps or did you weld?
    Welded

Welded
    So what is the advantage of welding and not using the clamps?

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

Looks -your won't be able to see the clamps because they won't be there

Quote Originally Posted by sfletch2000 View Post
    Looks -your won't be able to see the clamps because they won't be there
    That’s the only reason, for looks. I wonder who is going to lie underneath my car to look to see if I have my pipes welded or if I used clamps. Unless I want to impress mechanics, I guess using the clamps are fine.

I was just worried about airflow using the clamps.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

So what is the advantage of welding and not using the clamps?

Clamps have a higher chance of exhaust leaks than welds do.

Black
    2002 T/A WS.6 -- ASC#12

i dont have a catback only, but my catback is Borla... w/ longtubes, and high flow cats....its pretty damn loud

Black
    2002 T/A WS.6 -- ASC#12

o and its all clamped...no problems

Clamps have a higher chance of exhaust leaks than welds do.
    Wouldn't Borla consider that when they make their exhaust kits? - Borla told me they don't recommend welding their products due to the special notches they pre-cut on the pipe ends - This is where the clamps go. Also, the Million Mile warranty lets me sleep easier at nights.

However, traditionally I agree with your statement. Hypothetically, a good welding job should lower the possibility of an exhaust leak versus clamps. That’s why I was a little persistent about welding until I asked Borla.

As far as looks, I crawled underneath my car after work, and I have to say, it’s a pretty clean look with the clamps. I couldn’t see any of the bolts from the clamps. I’ll try to take some pictures this weekend

Medium Blue Metallic
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

This is a little off topic, but am I the only person that thinks borla is the most ghetto exhaust system available? From all the pics it looks like the adjustability is from the single exhaust pipe before the muffler. If you put a plate with a smaller hole in it, then the exhaust flows through the muffler. If you take out the plate, the exhaust functions like a cutout and goes out the left pipe. So its like a variable cutout for $800? I know all you borla owners won't like that but is it not true?

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

Borla= about 500 dollars to much for an exhaust system

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by 99bluebird View Post
    This is a little off topic, but am I the only person that thinks borla is the most ghetto exhaust system available? From all the pics it looks like the adjustability is from the single exhaust pipe before the muffler. If you put a plate with a smaller hole in it, then the exhaust flows through the muffler. If you take out the plate, the exhaust functions like a cutout and goes out the left pipe. So its like a variable cutout for $800? I know all you borla owners won't like that but is it not true?
    you're buying a name brand with them. they've been in the biz for ever and can set their prices where they want-the value is percieved by the customer.

It's not ghetto at all, they are highly recommended systems, and yes, you can slide an e-cut out in place of the spacer and then have a fully adjustable system.

green
    95 firebird

Just had a Borla cat-back exhaust (Single tips) installed on my TA last night. It's much quieter than I expected. The guy at the exhaust shop told me to wait a couple of days and it should get louder, the computer has to adjust to the new exhaust and the muffler needs to break in. Is this true? Also, how much louder is the sound going to get?

Also, he used the clamps that came with the exhasut and put a small spot weld on each clamp. I wanted him to weld the pipes instead of using the clamps, but he told me using the claps are better. What do you think?
    The catback does need to get broken in for a few hundred miles, but after that, it should be pretty stable. I don't know about the computer adjustment though.

If the pipes were fitting fine and not moving much with the clamps on, you should be fine. I prefer welds because I'm a little insecure about leaks and bolts loosening and whatnot. I can't see clamps as ever being better then welds unless he was a bad welder or you forsee having to make adjustments to the exhaust at some point in the future.

EDIT: Got any pics of the car with the catback on? Borlas look hot.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMan View Post
    The catback does need to get broken in for a few hundred miles, but after that, it should be pretty stable. I don't know about the computer adjustment though.

If the pipes were fitting fine and not moving much with the clamps on, you should be fine. I prefer welds because I'm a little insecure about leaks and bolts loosening and whatnot. I can't see clamps as ever being better then welds unless he was a bad welder or you forsee having to make adjustments to the exhaust at some point in the future.

EDIT: Got any pics of the car with the catback on? Borlas look hot.
    I did it at a custom exhaust shop which the welder had over 20 years of experience with welding exhausts. Originally, I had him scheduled to weld all the pipes, but once he looked at the clamps from borla, he stated that welding was not necessary because borla makes the best clamps and noches in the business - he worked for borla at one time. I called borla to confirm about using the clamps versus welding (I better not get any leaks or people will be hearing from one angry person).

Exhaust sounds freaking awesome above 4k RPMS. Sounds very clean and strong. And the tips are the best I've seen on any car. I'd say the quality for the tips alone is worth over $150. (IMO) (FYI: Round Dual tips)

As far as pics, I will probably have some after this weekend. Maybe a video too.....

Black
    99 SS

i think borla and Corsa are the two best catbacks out there, not ghetto, ghetto is SLP loudmouth and flowmaster. you pay for what you get

I really didn't do the cat-back system for the HP gains..... However, I didn't notice a change in my horsepower. Feels the same. How much do you think I may have gained with the Borla? I was thinking about 5-7hp.

Thread Information