Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Bird has a new rug...

For Christmas my wife & kids got me new carpet from YearOne for the bird. It needed it bad. A hole was wore in under the gas pedal and with 19yrs of use and abuse it was just plain nasty. I tried for years to clean it up just could never get out some of the stains form previous owner.

Removing the interior is fairly simple.

Tools:

13mm socket and wrench
    10mm socket
    7mm socket
    3/4" socket
    Flat tip screwdriver
    Cross Tip screwdriver
    2 Star bits (for the seat belts)

Seat removal is fairly easy. Four 13mm nuts on each seat. Disconnect the wire harness and air lines (for the seat lumbar support)
    Lower back seats has a single 13mm bolt on each cushion. The smaller star bit is needed to remove the seat belt guide on the back rest. It has 2 screws on each sideThat backrest has 2 13mm nuts on the bottom sides, release the latch and out it comes. Use the larger star bit for the seat belts. On the rear belts a 3/4 socket is needed for the top nut.

Next I removed the center consul. Remove the 10mm bolts about 5 total. 2 under the dash, 1 under the ash tray and 2 more in the center compartment. Lift the e brake as high as you can. I have a manual car so all I needed to remove was my shift ball and boot. Auto's you have to remove the shifter handle. Lift the consul and disconnect the cigarette plug harnesses and now you can remove the consul. I have my cutout and line lock where the TCS switches normally sit so I had to make notes of where each wire went where.

Trim - all are held in by cross tip screws except the rear pieces. You will also need to remove the plastic tip caps where the t tops lock into. If you did like I did and installed sound deadner on the roof, you'll also need to remove the a pillar trim.

Headliner - there are 2 plastic push pins, one in the center and the other under the rear dome light. You'll need a cross tip to remove the 2 screws on the dome light.

T Top holder - 10mm socket to remove the 2 bolts on each holder.

I also removed the kick panels on both sides because the factory rug reaches pretty high up the firewall. You will need a cross tip and a 7mm socket to remove the screws.

Carpet removal - You may need to cut in a few places to remove it easier. Try to make minimal cuts as you can use the factory carpet as a template for the cuts you'll need to make later.

Navy Blue Metallic

Carpet is removed.

Now the fun stuff...

This stuff was easy to install. I got 75sqft and still have enough to do my doors (at a later time).
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 01-17-2017 at 06:28 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic

Relationship goals....

It still has some rolls but it will take some time for the carpet to relax and pat down. Overall I'm happy.

The sound deadner really dropped a lot of road noise down. As my wife said " I can now hear myself talk to you" Not sure if that's a good thing yet...

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Great write up Scott

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Very good write up. I would like to sound deaden my car, the road noise is horrible in that thing.
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, QTP Longtube headers ORY, LS6 intake, EGR/A.I.R delete.
    Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays
    YouTube.com/DarrenWS6

Navy Blue Metallic

It reduces it quite a bit but it's never going to eliminate it all in a t top car.

This stuff I used was 1/2 the cost of Dynomat and performs just as well.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I made this a sticky.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Nice write up! I wish I would have thought of replacing my carpet and adding the sound deadner when I installed my aftermarket stereo equipment. I had the entire interior ripped out an it would have been the ideal time. Although my carpet was in pretty good shape back then. Just would have been nice to replace some of the "new car smell".
    1998 Pontiac TA, stock heads, FAST 90, FAST 90 TB, FLP LT, off road y-pipe with cat delete, flow master muffler, comp cams 54-457-11 223/231-610/617-112 LSA, Pro charger D1SC with FMIC @ 8psi, FROST tune, VIG 3200 stall, built 4l60e, snow meth kit, MOSER 12 bolt 373 gears, Derale 13900 trans cooler.

Navy Blue Metallic

It took 2 days to do, but then again I was taking my time on removing and installing the pieces. The carpet alone took 4 hours to install just because once you cut there is no fixing it.

I also took the time to clean up the wires for the foot well lighting and for the cutout that I installed previously.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Nice job.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Nice work, Scott! New carpet looks great.

Navy Blue Metallic

Now looking for floor mats that won't slide under the pedals. I actually want 2 sets. One for everyday use and the other for shows with the Firebird logo like I currently have.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ That drives me nuts in our older cars. I am constantly tugging the driver side mat back.

We were running the Monte SS at the track a few summers ago trying to see who could get the best time. Our friend Nate jumped in, threw the floor mat out onto the ground and went 2/10ths faster than my best previous pass.

Navy Blue Metallic

Bird has a new rug...

oh I remove the mat when driving or at the track. Damn thing almost caused me to get into an accident.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Hi Scott, what is the sound deading product you used? I can't find the brand name in your write-up. Thank you.

Brian

Navy Blue Metallic

https://www.fatmat.com/shop/rattletrap-cat_23459

Here you go.

IIRC I ordered the 75sqft roll. More than enough to cover the floor, trunk, t top area and b pillar sides. I even had some extra (a few feet). I also put a few strips on the inside of the doors to absorb any speaker rattle too.

Funny, I was just looking at this stuff, thinking if I should get some. I also just ordered new carpet from Rockauto for my daughters Vert this morning.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

This is great. Thanks a lot. I lowered the bird about 2 inches and it’s loud. This will help with that.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    https://www.fatmat.com/shop/rattletrap-cat_23459

Here you go.

IIRC I ordered the 75sqft roll. More than enough to cover the floor, trunk, t top area and b pillar sides. I even had some extra (a few feet). I also put a few strips on the inside of the doors to absorb any speaker rattle too.

Funny, I was just looking at this stuff, thinking if I should get some. I also just ordered new carpet from Rockauto for my daughters Vert this morning.

Navy Blue Metallic

Not sure if lowering added to the road noise but having a 403 stroker with 3" exhaust and a e-cutout sure as hell did

Sunset orange, red & navy

Ha, I bought two of my birds new & they both still smell like new in 2023.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Hey Scott,

I am looking to replace my carpet in Gracie.

Do you remember what brand the carpet was?

Do you think that you would have been able to replace the carpet, without taking out the B pillar area trim? I would like to try to not pull as much out as I can, to minimize the risk of breaking parts.
    SLP Air Lid/Smooth Bellows
    L76 6.0L block, PRC Ported 243 heads, Texas Speed 224R cam.
    Kooks Emissions LT Headers/Catted Y pipe
    NGK TR55 plugs
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    Spohn Front Upper Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Lower Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Sway Bar
    UMI Rear Lower Control Arms/ Adjustable Panhard Rod
    UMI Welded-on Two Piece Subframe Connectors
    Factory C5 Z06 17x9.5 wheels w/ 285-40-17 Continental Extreme Contact Sports all the way around.
    Dyno Dynamics dynoed @:
    415 rwhp

Thread Information