Thread: Bigger Brakes

Dark Steel Metalic
    98 T/A

Bigger Brakes

98 T/A WS6 a4

Everyone knows about the conversions for the front wheels to get better braking, but what about the rear? I've tried Baer, Brembo, SSBC, EBC, Sumit...and can't find anything for the rear.

Anyone done any brake work to the rear?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I believe that's bc the rears don't really need an upgrade. There may be something out there, but I've not seen any.

Dark Steel Metalic
    98 T/A

The main reason I as is if I'm going to spend some $$$ on making the front look nice as well as perform better, I want to do more than just remove the rear calipers and paint em.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

I always wondered this too. I think it looks stupid with big brakes in the front and a stock sized one in the back.

Dark Steel Metalic
    98 T/A

Agreed, and I can't find anything except A-1 Cardone remmys.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by excrider121 View Post
    Agreed, and I can't find anything except A-1 Cardone remmys.
    Couldn't you just do the c6 or cts-v conversion for both front and rear. I havn't seen a kit for that but you could just buy the calipers/brackets plus get the custom brake lines and the rotors. I think for that one though you have to have atleast 18" wheels. There is a thread about it somewhere.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Rear brakes, especially disks are mostly like icing on the cake.. They only make up a small percentage of the braking.. The fronts do the most work since under braking most of the vehicles weight gets transferred to the front.. Not saying you don't need rear brakes (inb4 the flames) that would be foolish.. But their importance in overall braking is minimal.. That's why some folks don't bother with the rear brakes as much as the front..

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    I always wondered this too. I think it looks stupid with big brakes in the front and a stock sized one in the back.
    Even in stock form the front rotors have a larger contact area than the rears.. Rear Disks that do not incorpoorate internal parking brake shoes are also smaller in DIA. than the front disks 99% of the time whether stock or otherwise.. Again rear brakes only make up a small % of the total braking force needed to stop a heavy vehicle. Tho after market setups can help improve the total braking responsivness, it's HEAT, that is the detriment of most braking systems.. Rasing the ability to disapate heat also raises braking performance.. Larger rotors usually have this effect amoung other possitives..

In my oppy anything over stock for street use is just for looks mostly.. Unless you're turning hot laps on a road race course, there's really no need for specialized brakes..
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-14-2010 at 02:30 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Rear brakes, especially disks are mostly like icing on the cake.. They only make up a small percentage of the braking.. The fronts do the most work since under braking most of the vehicles weight gets transferred to the front.. Not saying you don't need rear brakes (inb4 the flames) that would be foolish.. But their importance in overall braking is minimal.. That's why some folks don't bother with the rear brakes as much as the front..

And this is also why the rear pads last 2-3 times longer than the front pads, on most vehicles.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    And this is also why the rear pads last 2-3 times longer than the front pads, on most vehicles.
    Even longer if these's old drums out back..

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Usually. I replaced my rear brakes at 65k, and still have the OE fronts at 96k. Must be an F-body thing.

Even longer if these's old drums out back..
    And yeah, I've seen some OE rear drum linings still at 150k or better!

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Usually. I replaced my rear brakes at 65k, and still have the OE fronts at 96k. Must be an F-body thing.

And yeah, I've seen some OE rear drum linings still at 150k or better!
    yes. another weird one is the 2002 to 2006 Escalades (and maybe other GM full sized trucks/SUVs) front brakes last about 150,000 miles and the rears only last about 50,000miles.

Dark Steel Metalic
    98 T/A

Even in stock form the front rotors have a larger contact area than the rears.. Rear Disks that do not incorpoorate internal parking brake shoes are also smaller in DIA. than the front disks 99% of the time whether stock or otherwise.. Again rear brakes only make up a small % of the total braking force needed to stop a heavy vehicle. Tho after market setups can help improve the total braking responsivness, it's HEAT, that is the detriment of most braking systems.. Rasing the ability to disapate heat also raises braking performance.. Larger rotors usually have this effect amoung other possitives..

In my oppy anything over stock for street use is just for looks mostly.. Unless you're turning hot laps on a road race course, there's really no need for specialized brakes..
    I agree completely, part of my reasoning for aftermarket brakes is b/c I want the fancy look that goes along with them. But I haven't found anything for the rear that makes a matching set.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

GM high tech performance magazine did a cts-v brake conversion on their sti killer project camaro, def came out nice i am considering it for my T/A
    Last edited by MudStainKILLA; 12-22-2010 at 10:19 AM.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Upgrade the fronts to C5 rotors (17" wheels) or C6 rotors (18" wheels) and spend the money you would for the rears elsewhere.

Thread Information