1998 Firebird Formula

Big problems!! Plz help!!

O guys in my 98 formula, when i was changing the oil i noticed that there was moisture in side the oil cap and the dip stick has rust and moisture all over it. I think it may be a bad head gasket which if it is would suck due to how much it would be to get it fixed. So i was wondering if it turns out to be a bad gasket, is there a way that i can fix it myself, cant find anything in the shop manual about it so any idea or thought would only help me.

P.S. when i change the oil i only got maybe 2qts, so maybe a leak somewhere as well and yes i always put 5qts of mobile 1 in.

Oh and on my 99 TA vert, there is a very loud noise like air is rushing out of somewhere, and it ideals a little rough and when i accelerated in 6th gear from 60 to 70 i think it is misfiring, so i think it could be a leaky intake manifold gasket. But i would greatly appreciate to know what you guys think.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

An engine can accumulate moisture as you described by being "short cycled" -- where it is run for short periods of time and does not reach full operating temperature for long enough to evaporate out the moisture.

Any sign of coolant in the oil? Can you smell coolant in the exhaust? Any sign of blue smoke out the exhaust? Does your car leak oil? If it was leaking coolant into the engine, the level on the dipstick would rise and the coolant reservoir would eventually deplete itself.

Also, our cars hold 5.5 quarts of oil with a filter change.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 10erg01 View Post
    O guys in my 98 formula, when i was changing the oil i noticed that there was moisture in side the oil cap and the dip stick has rust and moisture all over it. I think it may be a bad head gasket which if it is would suck due to how much it would be to get it fixed. So i was wondering if it turns out to be a bad gasket, is there a way that i can fix it myself, cant find anything in the shop manual about it so any idea or thought would only help me.

P.S. when i change the oil i only got maybe 2qts, so maybe a leak somewhere as well and yes i always put 5qts of mobile 1 in.

Oh and on my 99 TA vert, there is a very loud noise like air is rushing out of somewhere, and it ideals a little rough and when i accelerated in 6th gear from 60 to 70 i think it is misfiring, so i think it could be a leaky intake manifold gasket. But i would greatly appreciate to know what you guys think.

You have only been getting 2qts of oil out of it every oil change, and you dont get a low oil light. It def sounds like you need to check your head gaskets cause that would be the problem if you have water in your oil.

1998 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 View Post
    You have only been getting 2qts of oil out of it every oil change, and you dont get a low oil light. It def sounds like you need to check your head gaskets cause that would be the problem if you have water in your oil.
    No ive thats the first time ive gotten that little.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

No ive thats the first time ive gotten that little.
    Yea but your low oil light didnt come on, seems kinda strange, pjeff is right on the coolant ordeal.

1998 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    An engine can accumulate moisture as you described by being "short cycled" -- where it is run for short periods of time and does not reach full operating temperature for long enough to evaporate out the moisture.

Any sign of coolant in the oil? Can you smell coolant in the exhaust? Any sign of blue smoke out the exhaust? Does your car leak oil? If it was leaking coolant into the engine, the level on the dipstick would rise and the coolant reservoir would eventually deplete itself.

Also, our cars hold 5.5 quarts of oil with a filter change.
    no coolant in the oil and no blue smoke, and no coolant smell in the exhause but i dont take a wiff that often have to check tough

1998 Firebird Formula

Yea but your low oil light didnt come on, seems kinda strange, pjeff is right on the coolant ordeal.
    no the light didnt come on a i thought the same thing, strange...

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

no the light didnt come on a i thought the same thing, strange...
    Well has it left any spots where it is parked?

1998 Firebird Formula

Well has it left any spots where it is parked?
    nope

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

nope
    Then it could be being burned off!!

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Bingo. If you aren't showing other signs of a head gasket, then short cycle moisture build up might be one of your issues

1998 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Bingo. If you aren't showing other signs of a head gasket, then short cycle moisture build up might be one of your issues
    That could be it but the car is driven a lot on the interstate, not to many sort trips were the car wont warm up fully.

1998 Firebird Formula

talked to my friend who is a very good machanic one of the best (nationaly cirtified) and he thinks the problem on my 98 formula could be related a bad PCV value and the fact that i used the wrong coolant when refilling after a thermostate replacement, as well as possible gummed up internals in the fuel system would he recomened some fuel injector cleaner for.

As for my 99 TA vert with the wind rushing nosie, he thinks that the intake mainfold is warped and is casusing a vaccum leake and causeing the car to miss. The soulution there is to get an aftermarket intake manifold which i've been wanting to do for some time just never had a good enough reasson to give up the dough.

Thanks for all your guys help!

1998 Firebird Formula

New Intake Mainfold questions

One other thing since im going to have to buy a new intake manifold im not going to get a plastic one so the ls6 intake that came on corvettes and 00+ trans am is out. I really dont know much about which are better and was also wondering if i would have to get a new MAF or throttle body because of it or anything else. I did try and look for it on the forum but came up with very little. Also i dont think i will do anything internaly to the engine such as a cam, etc.. so help is very need.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Before you go ripping into things, have you checked for a leak? You can spray around the base of the intake manifold with carb cleaner and listen to your idle. If the idle increases in speed as you spray in a certain area, that is the source of your leak. Granted, you cannot really get underneath the intake so it is possible that the leak may not be found, but I would at least test for it. How about the MAP sensor, throttle body gasket or PCV hose as possible sources of a vacuum leak?

The PCV system can dump oil into the intake. If that is the source, the inside of your intake will be an oily mess. If it is really bad, this is usually indicative of a ring sealing issue as cylinder pressure is escaping into the engine and pushing the oil out.

1998 Firebird Formula

Before you go ripping into things, have you checked for a leak? You can spray around the base of the intake manifold with carb cleaner and listen to your idle. If the idle increases in speed as you spray in a certain area, that is the source of your leak. Granted, you cannot really get underneath the intake so it is possible that the leak may not be found, but I would at least test for it. How about the MAP sensor, throttle body gasket or PCV hose as possible sources of a vacuum leak?

The PCV system can dump oil into the intake. If that is the source, the inside of your intake will be an oily mess. If it is really bad, this is usually indicative of a ring sealing issue as cylinder pressure is escaping into the engine and pushing the oil out.
    I was going to test the intake today with the method you suggested, but i i figured i would just get a head start on reascearch before i get to busy with other things. I am also going to check the other system and areas you said when today as well.

1998 Firebird Formula

alright i tested for the leak by spraying carb cleaner i did find one seems to be right under the throttle body. so i'm think that the intake is warped but what do you guys think.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Under the throttle body is a plate that spans the width of the valley. The bottom of the intake does not seal to the block like in a SBC -- it only seals to the heads.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

These intakes don't warp often. Its possible, but not common. Might just be a gasket or loose bolts.
    If you wanna replace the intake manifold, the 2 best choices are the LS6 and the FAST (Big $$$). The aluminum intakes are heavier and heat sink a lot more. They aren't the worst things in the world, just not at the top of my list.

Thread Information