Best Air intake?

I've heard lots of different things about the air intake for the 4th Feb T/A. I've straight piped my 2000 T/A and I want to know what's the best intake. I've heard volant but I've heard SLP. Can anyone help?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Ws6eric View Post
    I've heard lots of different things about the air intake for the 4th Feb T/A. I've straight piped my 2000 T/A and I want to know what's the best intake. I've heard volant but I've heard SLP. Can anyone help?

It really depends on the modifications that one had on the car, the stock LS1 intake will do just fine up to 400 or so horsepower, the LS6 will net about 20 or so hp more, and support up to 450 without any issue. The LS6 intake outflows the LS2 intake from everything that I have seen.

Most of the aftermarket intakes are fairly pricey, and probably wont give a person much until heavier modifications start getting put on.

Unless you are doing a lot of work to the engine, a true LS6 intake is probably the best BFB; beware of LS1 intakes being listed as LS6’s though.
    SLP Air Lid/Smooth Bellows
    L76 6.0L block, PRC Ported 243 heads, Texas Speed 224R cam.
    Kooks Emissions LT Headers/Catted Y pipe
    NGK TR55 plugs
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    Spohn Front Upper Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Lower Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Sway Bar
    UMI Rear Lower Control Arms/ Adjustable Panhard Rod
    UMI Welded-on Two Piece Subframe Connectors
    Factory C5 Z06 17x9.5 wheels w/ 285-40-17 Continental Extreme Contact Sports all the way around.
    Dyno Dynamics dynoed @:
    415 rwhp

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Quote Originally Posted by Ws6eric View Post

Eric,
    Just to be clear, are you talking about the intake manifold or just the airbox where the filter sits?
    ATI Procharger, SFCs, Y-pipe, LM2, BBK Shorty Headers, Corvette N73 Magnesium Wheels, 4th Circle Designs Stripe and Overlay kit

Bright Metallic Blue A4
    1999 WS9

He mentions Volante and SLP. Sounds like he wants a lid or other recommendation. Can't help with either since I just have a modified OE airbox and a fiberglass joint with Fernco mod still kickin it old school.
    I was here before the server crashed.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Eric,

Assuming you are looking for the airbox lid, you have a number of choices. SLP tends to be readily available and relatively cheap but in my opinion, fit and sealing are a bit sketchy. The SLP lids are not as thick or precisely made as OEM and getting them to seal along the edges can take some work and foam strips. Volant is a bit more pricy and works and looks cool as long as you are willing to keep the air filters clean since they are visible and being the oiled cloth type will quickly pick up lots of dirt. My personal opinion having used one for a long time before I moved on to a supercharger is the Blackwing lid. It has the fit of an OEM with all of the advantages of other internally smoothed lids. These were in fact offered by GM and used on some very late (01-02) Firehawks and SS Camaro's with SLP mods. Unfortunately since they have been out of production for a while they can be hard to find and a bit pricy but again, my opinion is they are worth it.

I went with SLP lid, and have no complaints whatsover.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I have the SLP lid and bellow. Its alright. I would like the FTP lid though.
    https://www.hawksmotorsports.com/98-...lid-black-ftp/
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, QTP Longtube headers ORY, LS6 intake, EGR/A.I.R delete.
    Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays
    YouTube.com/DarrenWS6

Thread Information