Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Bandit Trans Am Sold for $550,000

There’s been a bit of a frenzy in the market for Pontiac Firebird Trans Ams connected to the 1977 classic Smokey and the Bandit, though one could say it’s simply a reflection of the current mania in the world of collector cars. The mania certainly hasn’t hit its peak as we’ve just witnessed one of the original movie promo car sselling at auction for $550,000.

The car was sold by auction house Barrett-Jackson during its recent event in Scottsdale, Arizona, and on hand to drive it up on stage and later sign it was none other than Burt Reynolds. Yes, the Bandit himself. Recently, Reynolds sold two similar cars he personally owned. One was another promo car that fetched $450,000 and the other was a tribute car that fetched $170,000.

This latest Pontiac Firebird Trans Am was never owned by the 79-year-old actor. Instead, it was titled to the Burt Reynolds Institute for film and Theater that the actor helped established. And in addition to the car, the winning bidder also received a certificate of authenticity from Universal Studios, a plaque from General Motors Company, an original Smokey and the Bandit movie script, film location maps, behind-the-scenes photography taken during filming, an original press release and several other documents.

Other highlights of the Barrett-Jackson event included a Porsche 918 Spyder that sold for $1.76 million, plus the rights to the first 2017 Acura NSX that ended up going for $1.2 million. Ford Motor Company also offered up the rights to its first 2016 Focus RS in the United States, with the winning bid coming in at $550,000.

Another ‘Bandit’ Pontiac Firebird crosses the auction block, raises $550K | Fox News

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Before those cars sold there was a very low mileage '77 and '80 that each brought $100K on Barrett Jackson on Saturday. I was pretty shocked as I hadn't seen any of the late '70s get up that high. SDs or '69s maybe but not the late second gens. Now you can count on pretty much every guy with a beat up second gen is going to think they have just struck it rich and won't sell their beat up, non-numbers matching car for less that stupid money.

Navy Blue Metallic

Bandit Trans Am Sold for $550,000

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

The guys who grew up in the late 70s and 80s now are at the point where they have that disposable income to spend on the car's they lusted after in highschool. The hosts of the Jackson auction were talking about the large upswing in 80s cars prices especially in the last couple years because of this.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Navy Blue Metallic

Only 80's cars I would buy are the 86 Buick Grand National, 1989 Turbo Trans Am (only because of it's rarity) 86 Monte Carlo SS, C3 Corvettes.

Add on thanks to Jeff Hurst/Olds

The rest.....

Last edited by SMWS6TA; 02-02-2016 at 11:33 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Add a Hurst/Olds to that list, please.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

There's a guy with a 89 turbo trans am in my uncles car club. Pretty rough one (slowly being restored) but you should see how many offers he gets every year for it. Only the gto judge and my uncles 72 455 TA have gotten as many or higher offers as that 89 but I bet the 89 gets more attention over all.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Add a Hurst/Olds to that list, please.
    Yes sir, thank you for pointing that out.....

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Add my pos 89 Formula that I use to have. Car was worth at least 100k. it had the very desirable rust paint job to include particles falling off. The very strong and efficient 305 TPI. It came with but not limited to the aftermarket cracked windshield, dents down the passenger side from a deer running into it. It had a young and healthy low miles of the 200k range. You just cant find cars running like that anymore. Oh and I forgot to mention the complementary joint that was at least 20 years old when I was cleaning out the car from the previous owner. Man good times time in that beast when it was occasionally running.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    The guys who grew up in the late 70s and 80s now are at the point where they have that disposable income to spend on the car's they lusted after in highschool. The hosts of the Jackson auction were talking about the large upswing in 80s cars prices especially in the last couple years because of this.
    Okay, when am I gonna get that much "disposable income"?

The car I lusted after in high school was...

An F-16!

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Okay, when am I gonna get that much "disposable income"?

The car I lusted after in high school was...

An F-16!
    I'm willing to bet you were (still are) a Iron Eagle movie fan

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I'm willing to bet you were (still are) a Iron Eagle movie fan
    It was an okay movie but I wouldnt say a fan per-se', it was sort of Top Gun if it had been done by the guys who produced the A Team had done it. I was an AFJROTC guy, and the Falcon was as close to being the P51's grandchild as there could ever be. Light agile, fast, and full-of-win!

Thread Information