Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

blue
    2002 Trans Am

back hatch rattling when go over bumps

So I really want to see if this is a problem for other owners,
    Just give some back ground that the hatch speakers have been taken out (prevs. owner) no spare tire, antenna has been zip tied, but do not use it. I'm trying to think of anything else needing to note here to help out with finding the problem.
    basically what happens is I go over a bump and it sounds like both sides, but mainly the pass side just rattles really bad, I do not know if it is somehow the hatch is loosen and just shaking, or maybe something under where the speaker goes or down where spare tire is suppose to be, the antenna hitting or what have you. So any suggestion will help and will be grateful for, just trying to figure out, is somewhat irritating hearing it.
    Thanks again
    God Bless

ASh

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Try lubricating your hatch seal with a weatherstrip conditioner or spray silicone. You can also easily check the latch mechanism (which is probably adjustable) by pulling your back trim panel.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Try lubricating your hatch seal with a weatherstrip conditioner or spray silicone. You can also easily check the latch mechanism (which is probably adjustable) by pulling your back trim panel.
    Thanks will give that a go and see what happens, will be sometime this week when I get around to checking it, busy today, also a little rain coming down

ASh
    2002 auto T/A custom blue, Moser 9in rear end with 31 spline axle and 3.73 gears, Diablo Sport InTune, SLP LM1 catback, SLP lid & bellow, ram air free mod, eibach pro kit springs, bilstein hd shocks, bmr rear sway bar, bmr 2pt SFC bolt on, silver checker stripes 17x9.5 C5 Vette rims.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I'll trade you - we have snow right now.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

I'll trade you - we have snow right now.
    No that is ok, lol

ASh

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

Could it be the the hooks that keep the back seat up?

Try cruising around with your back rest layed down and see if you still hear it.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by ASh302 View Post
    Thanks will give that a go and see what happens, will be sometime this week when I get around to checking it, busy today, also a little rain coming down

ASh
    Also, try driving with the trim/trunk cover peice covering and uncovering the TTop storage area. This way you can eliminate the area of the trunk above the fuel tank.

Check the muffler hangars and heat shields around the fuel tank and rear suspension/axle too.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Mine does the exact same thing...never really looked into fixing it but Jeff's recommendation sounds like a good idea. WD40 is also supposed to expand seals so that could be worth a shot as well. I played around with the bumpers that the hatch rests on but it didnt help any...just made the hatch sit a little higher than usual.

With that said, every fbody I've ever owned had this problem. Go over some rail road tracks or a bump and the hatch makes a little noise.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

these few suggestions I have not yet tried, I have tried a few, but getting around to these

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 024mula View Post
    Could it be the the hooks that keep the back seat up?

Try cruising around with your back rest layed down and see if you still hear it.
    laid the backseat down and still does it

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    Mine does the exact same thing...never really looked into fixing it but Jeff's recommendation sounds like a good idea. WD40 is also supposed to expand seals so that could be worth a shot as well. I played around with the bumpers that the hatch rests on but it didnt help any...just made the hatch sit a little higher than usual.

With that said, every fbody I've ever owned had this problem. Go over some rail road tracks or a bump and the hatch makes a little noise.
    I understand there will be some noise, but this is not correct and just happens to easy. I need to mess around some more with it and see if I can find it. did a few small suggestions, but none of those solved the problem. Try to tomorrow

ASh

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

My Camaro is the noisiest car I've ever owned. It's also the newest. So I've heard some rattles and squeaks in my time. Nothing like this car though.

Hopefully you'll get it narrowed down soon.

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

I was about to suggest SFC. But I see you just installed SFC in another section, did they do the trick?

If not, check the ends of the cylinders that hold the hatch open.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 024mula View Post
    I was about to suggest SFC. But I see you just installed SFC in another section, did they do the trick?

If not, check the ends of the cylinders that hold the hatch open.
    They helped a little, but it still is rattling, also need to recheck the bolts on the SFC make sure they are TQ
    I need to go around to each of the bolts on the rear hatch and make sure they are all tight, then the next might be getting new hatch struts and go from there, but it does hold itself up so they probably are good.
    Will get out there again and try some others

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

UPDATE: so today, pop the hatch open, rechecked the nuts on the hatch, three on each side and 4 nuts on the mid section. also retighten the latch and went for a drive and still there. I'm lost for words and just frustrated with it.
    Next is try to adj the latch and see where that gets me.
    just wanted to update on whats going on and that it hasn't gotten any better
    But will still try to find it
    wifie went for a ride with me when I checked and she heard how bad it was, that it sounds like the hatch is making the noise. maybe I could get a video of it and go from there.

ASh

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If I recall, there are rubber bumpstops for the hatch. Just as a test, put a little Vaseline (or even grease) on the stops and go for a ride. I had a terrible noise on our Turbo Regal that ended up being the center bumpstop for the hood. Touched it with grease and it hasn't made a noise since. Still, adjusting the latch will probably be the real fix.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

If I recall, there are rubber bumpstops for the hatch. Just as a test, put a little Vaseline (or even grease) on the stops and go for a ride. I had a terrible noise on our Turbo Regal that ended up being the center bumpstop for the hood. Touched it with grease and it hasn't made a noise since. Still, adjusting the latch will probably be the real fix.

Thank you
    I will say it's more of the hatch rattling like a metal rattle. But that be good to try. I also do not have spare tire, which was like that when bought it, so on hunt for one at a good price.
    I am starting to believe it is the hatch is the noise maker.

ASh

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I don't know if this has been brought up previously in any of your other threads, but has your car ever been in an accident before? (not all accidents show up on a carfax)? Possibly rear-ended? Have you checked to see if your hatch is stock or could it possibly be aftermarket?

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I don't know if this has been brought up previously in any of your other threads, but has your car ever been in an accident before? (not all accidents show up on a carfax)? Possibly rear-ended? Have you checked to see if your hatch is stock or could it possibly be aftermarket?
    Yes this car was in one, I don't know when or where, but it has and was i believe the rear end part.

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

ok, so I pop the hatch and started pushing down on the rear end and I want to say I found my problem and I feel like a turd if this is the problem, I believe the shocks are not tighten down all the way to where they are suppose to be, so the washer is basically making the rattle sound, if this is the problem, I for sure am a turd, but would be grateful to find out, the other reason I think this is that the sound is coming right there where the shock comes up and before I dropped the back seat, it sounded like the latches to the back seat was causing it, but it still made the sound. So if it is again, feel like a turd for not doing it right the first time.

ASh

Thread Information