Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Baby seat for WS6

Hello all,

My wife and I are expecting to have our first child at the end of June and we need to figure out what new car seats will actually work with our cars. I have an '02 WS6 coupe and she has an '02 Celica GT. We figure we will have to use these cars to drive her around until I graduate college at the end of this year, then we will get a new, third, car for our fleet. I was hoping to get some sort of Recaro job http://www.recaro-cs.com/en/products...us.html#c25731, but dont know how good they really are . Anyone know what options I have? Are there adapter kits for our cars to use the new style seats and harnesses?
    Last edited by Whamhammer; 02-10-2013 at 08:33 AM.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I stopped in one of those free car seat clinics once, and they gave me a good tip. You want the seat to sit flat and level. With the deep pocket in our seats, you want to fill those pockets. You can use a rolled up towel, or use the thick almost styrofoam things that come in your flat screen TV box. I use two of those right now with a booster seat for my 9 year old. THis way, the seat belt also isn't riding on her neck. I know that this a little farther down the road for you, but it's a little info for you.

It's been quite a few years ago now but I used a standard car seat in our 4th gens, worked fine. I even used it in the classic cars, held in fine with just a lap belt, then the baby seat actually had it's own set of belts. I used a pillow underneath the seat, mainly to protect the interior from the hard plastics of the child seat. Really nothing to it.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

First of all, congratulations on your first child

Don't car seats need to be hooked up to that bracket behind the rear seats?

Never seen that before Kahana, I don't have any cars that have brackets Just a simple lap belt in most cases, and since our older kid seat was made to fasten with a lap belt, I would just feed the shoulder/lap belt combo in the back seat of the 4th gens though the baby seat and call it done.

But I guess todays society has everyone scared into thinking we need 6 point harness and multiple air bags

When I was a kid the baby seats they had back then required you to remove the entire back seat from the car completely and then fasten the baby seat right on the floor of the car. Very primitive. Anyone remember those?

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Thanks. I was thinking about bracket issues too, the Recaro I saw just uses the seat belts. But I am not too sure what the deal is as I am the only person I know who has a 4th Gen and will be using it as one of the worlds fastest baby limo's known to mankind. Any input will be very appreciated.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

I was thinking, if I had to, about taking the bottom seat cushion out and and just putting a thick piece of rubber foam under the seat to keep her comfy and (the interior) safe.

2002 Trans Am WS6 - Red
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ

Here is mine and my son is 2 now, but I didn't use the base when was a, but i don't have a pictures of it.

2002 Trans Am WS6 - Red
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ

Oh by the way on sunny days the T-tops block the sun out. Otherwise there blinded...this according to my daughter.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I put a folded up towel under my son's car seat and just attached it using the seat belt and I have never had a problem.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Never seen that before Kahana, I don't have any cars that have brackets Just a simple lap belt in most cases, and since our older kid seat was made to fasten with a lap belt, I would just feed the shoulder/lap belt combo in the back seat of the 4th gens though the baby seat and call it done.

But I guess todays society has everyone scared into thinking we need 6 point harness and multiple air bags

When I was a kid the baby seats they had back then required you to remove the entire back seat from the car completely and then fasten the baby seat right on the floor of the car. Very primitive. Anyone remember those?
    I think that the car seat anchor/bracket, only came stock in the 2000-2002 models. I'm not sure. You might still be able get a top tether attachment kit from GM for car seats though.

And when I was a kid, we didn't have no stinking car seats and didn't even have to wear our seat belts

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post

And when I was a kid, we didn't have no stinking car seats and didn't even have to wear our seat belts
    Same here. I just remember those primitive seats that were around at the time. Now it seems more complicated than it needs to be (for me anyway) with all the gadgets and hooks and brackets, size and weight of the child with different laws in each state,,,,sheeesh.

So I decided to keep it simple. Fastened the child seat with the stock lapbelt (in the classic cars) and fed the shoulder harness through the same way in the 4th gens,,,,and just went with it.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Same here. I just remember those primitive seats that were around at the time. Now it seems more complicated than it needs to be (for me anyway) with all the gadgets and hooks and brackets, size and weight of the child with different laws in each state,,,,sheeesh.

So I decided to keep it simple. Fastened the child seat with the stock lapbelt (in the classic cars) and fed the shoulder harness through the same way in the 4th gens,,,,and just went with it.
    Oh yeah, in the Chevelle it was easy peasy. Not sure I'd use a lap belt or the front seat for that matter though. Also, infants need to be facing the seat. Secured in backwards as I recall.

Oh yeah, in the Chevelle it was easy peasy. Not sure I'd use a lap belt or the front seat for that matter though. Also, infants need to be facing the seat. Secured in backwards as I recall.
    Probably so, although I never did that. I always put him in facing forward. When my wife wasn't with me I'd put him in the front passenger seat. I never drove cars with airbags so that wasn't a concern, most everything I drive is 40+ years old .
    Actually, most everything I own is lap belt only, so I had no other choice but to mount the car seat with a lap belt and that was it. I figure it was better than what I had as a kid,,,,since most cars I grew up in never had seat belts at all,,,they were still an option until 1969

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Everyone on here has made great points about the seats. Just remember that with a newborn until about 2 or a certain weight, depending on state law, they have to be rear facing. This makes it a little hard to fit the seat back there correctly, but the seat belt will hold the base in nice and tight with some work. I also put in a small square couch pillow to make a flat surface area. Then I put a seat protector over it and put in the base with the belt. I also found it easier to carry the baby into the front and move her to the back through the middle, rather than trying to move the seat up and go straight through the door. Our baby seat was just to bulky. Mine are now in forward facing seats and it still works great, just NO LEG ROOM!!! HAHAHA we all know that!

Quote Originally Posted by JayL View Post
    Everyone on here has made great points about the seats. Just remember that with a newborn until about 2 or a certain weight, depending on state law, they have to be rear facing.
    Wouldn't work that way in my vehicles so I always had to install it forward facing. Was pulled over a few times with him in the front pass seat that way and never had a police officer even mention it Not sure what the law was in Ohio at that time but didn't really matter to me, it was either that or no car seat at all.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Wouldn't work that way in my vehicles so I always had to install it forward facing.
    Worked fine in both my Chevelles

Black
    79 Trans Am

I had a Graco base and carrier rear facing in my 98 and it worked. was tight for the person upfront but otherwise worked just fine

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by 79TransAm View Post
    I had a Graco base and carrier rear facing in my 98 and it worked. was tight for the person upfront but otherwise worked just fine
    Yep that is exactly what I had and it worked great.

Worked fine in both my Chevelles
    May have been the baby seat design? My factory lap belts in my classic cars won't come out far enough to pass through the baby seat when it's rear facing, because it just puts the baby seat too far out from the cars seat back. Even my buddy that weighs 330 lbs. can't wear the seatbelts in the cars, they just aren't long enough.

Forward facing the baby seat however worked fine, and then he was held in with the 5 point baby seat harness, so he's not going anywhere

Thread Information