Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Be Aware, thieves find new way to break into cars

This is something I found on the internet recently, perhaps this should have been posted in the off topic section but this section would have given this post more exposure and I think its important we inform as many members as we can to this.

How to lock your car safely:

While traveling a man stopped at a roadside park. He came out
    to his car less than 5 minutes later and found someone had gotten into his car, and stolen his cell phone, laptop computer, GPS navigation unit,
    briefcase, everything. He called the police and they said there were no
    signs of his car being broken into. How did this happen?

There is a device out now that thieves are using that can clone the security code of your car's key-chain lock device. When you use the door lock on your key-chain it sends the code through the airwaves that can be read by another device (not just your car) and stolen. Thieves will sit a distance away from your car, watch for you to use your key-chain lock and steal your code. They know you are going inside of a store, restaurant, or bathroom and have a few minutes to steal and run.

How do you prevent this? Be sure to manually lock your car door by hitting the lock button inside the car, when you hit the lock button on your car upon exiting it does not send out the security code.

Be aware of this and please pass this information on to as many people as you can.

Keep safe everyone!

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    This is something I found on the internet recently, perhaps this should have been posted in the off topic section but this section would have given this post more exposure and I think its important we inform as many members as we can to this.

to his car less than 5 minutes later and found someone had gotten into his car, and stolen his cell phone, laptop computer, GPS navigation unit,

There is a device out now that thieves are using that can clone the security code of your car's key-chain lock device. When you use the door lock on your key-chain it sends the code through the airwaves that can be read by another device (not just your car) and stolen. Thieves will sit a distance away from your car, watch for you to use your key-chain lock and steal your code. They know you are going inside of a store, restaurant, or bathroom and have a few minutes to steal and run.

How do you prevent this? Be sure to manually lock your car door by hitting the lock button inside the car, when you hit the lock button on your car upon exiting it does not send out the security code.

Be aware of this and please pass this information on to as many people as you can.

Keep safe everyone!
    aint that some thanks for the info
    1999 mbm Z m6/ forged 346, lt's, wires, ls6 intake, sts rear turbo.

*SOLD*2002 black ws6- <Bolt ons, ls6 heads, mild cam, dyno tune, full susp. and 4.10s> --440rwhp/395rwtq

Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

Interesting. Never really worried about it, but I guess it wouldn't be too hard to do.

I'd be really scared if I had a push button start vette, if this would work the same way.
    1. See you enter store, park beside you and sit in car.
    2. Wait until you leave store, get in car, scan code when you start car.
    3. Follow you home and steal car.

those have been out for years

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    those have been out for years
    Perhaps so, but I just found out recently and apparently most members that have responded to my threads (this isn't the only section where I started this thread, there's more than 1 of this thread) have said they didn't know about this. Regardless we need to inform as many members as we can of this risk don't you agree?

Pewter
    2000 Z28

While they might be able to get the code for the RKE, they still only get what you leave in the car. If your not smart enough to put valuables like GPS, laptop, cell phone, and whatever else out of sight, or better yet, take them with you, then thats on you. If Im running into a store to grab something, I park where I can see my car the whole time. If Im going shopping, I dont take my laptop with me, or if it is in the car for some reason (say i just got out of work) I put it in the back, behind the seat. As for the car itself, good luck with the chipped keys these days, and then the ignition lock (they dont show how to overcome that in "Gone in 60 Seconds" ever). Oh, and if they want to use my garage door opener to get into my house, they aint comin out. Ever.

And while I know you might feel strongly about this, but posting five threads all about the same thing?
    FOR SALE 2000 Z28 M6
    It's pretty much Raw Awesome

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by buswwa View Post
    While they might be able to get the code for the RKE, they still only get what you leave in the car. If your not smart enough to put valuables like GPS, laptop, cell phone, and whatever else out of sight, or better yet, take them with you, then thats on you. If Im running into a store to grab something, I park where I can see my car the whole time. If Im going shopping, I dont take my laptop with me, or if it is in the car for some reason (say i just got out of work) I put it in the back, behind the seat. As for the car itself, good luck with the chipped keys these days, and then the ignition lock (they dont show how to overcome that in "Gone in 60 Seconds" ever). Oh, and if they want to use my garage door opener to get into my house, they aint comin out. Ever.

And while I know you might feel strongly about this, but posting five threads all about the same thing?
    if you read the giant threads on tech about in new orleans there is now a device/procedure that can disable VATS and quickly. If someone wants to steal your car. They will. Only you physically can stop them. There are plenty of tools that can get you into the ignition.. and fast.

Pewter
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    if you read the giant threads on tech about in new orleans there is now a device/procedure that can disable VATS and quickly. If someone wants to steal your car. They will. Only you physically can stop them. There are plenty of tools that can get you into the ignition.. and fast.
    What it boils down to is, if they really want my car, they're gonna get it. Thats why i have theft coverage on it.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by buswwa View Post
    What it boils down to is, if they really want my car, they're gonna get it. Thats why i have theft coverage on it.
    Exactly. You have to sleep at some point.

red
    2002 z/28

and if youre that worried get a good alarm with anti-code hopping such as a Clifford

Thats why they developed code hopping, this technology has been around for years

Maybe this would be a good solution: leave a mean dog in the car.

White
    1998 Trans Am

They have been out for a long time. I had one when I installed stereo's and alarms over 10 yrs ago. All you need is a code hopping alarm/pager with a started disable and a siren with a backup battery. This way the alarm goes off when they get in wherther the try to cut the siren wires or not. Takes a over a min to get tio the starter disable if you hide the relay and tape the wires. That gives you enough time to get outta bed get the gun and open fire.
    If they want the car they can get it. They key is to make sure you have enough time to getvthem 1st,

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Did ya'll know that they can now scan information from your wallet as well.

If you have one of those visa's that you can just pass over the pad at stores and it senses it, they can get your credit card number.

If you have an access card to where you work, or if you live in an apartment, they can get that too.

All they have to do is carry the scanner around with them walking down the street and pick up a ton of information as they walk past people.

I've seen an RFID blocking wallet on another site, if you're concerned about it, go here: (sorry if I'm not allowed to put this up)

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/8cdd/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's TA View Post
    Did ya'll know that they can now scan information from your wallet as well.

If you have one of those visa's that you can just pass over the pad at stores and it senses it, they can get your credit card number.

If you have an access card to where you work, or if you live in an apartment, they can get that too.

All they have to do is carry the scanner around with them walking down the street and pick up a ton of information as they walk past people.

I've seen an RFID blocking wallet on another site, if you're concerned about it, go here: (sorry if I'm not allowed to put this up)

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/8cdd/
    Thanks for this post.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Thanks for that I have 3 of those cards. Even my car for my buisness acct has one of those on it.

black
    1994 formula firebird

I did some research. As long as your car lock is newer than the early 90's there's not a problem. They use rolling codes now that change every time you use the remote so it's never a fixed code.
    It would take a long time, maybe days to crack the code and it would require technology that ordinary thieves wouldn't have. Even if it's an older car I wouldn't worry too much about it; it's easier for them to just bust the window.

Black
    1999 WS6 Ram Air Trans-Am

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post

Keep safe everyone!
    Thanx for the imformation. It's something to think about.

Grey/Brushed Pewter
    05 GMC Sierra & 05 Altima

Quote Originally Posted by zooombird View Post
    I did some research. As long as your car lock is newer than the early 90's there's not a problem. They use rolling codes now that change every time you use the remote so it's never a fixed code.
    It would take a long time, maybe days to crack the code and it would require technology that ordinary thieves wouldn't have. Even if it's an older car I wouldn't worry too much about it; it's easier for them to just bust the window.
    Exactly!

Check out this article on it http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...or-remote1.htm

Thread Information