View Poll Results: Buy a new Auto trans or replace it with a 6 speed.

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • New Automatic

16 55.17%
  • 6 speed conversion

13 44.83%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto or Stick

Midnight Blue
    1998 Trans Am

Auto or Stick

So I had asked some questions about either fixing my automatic trans in my 98 and about converting to 6 speed. I figured maybe price would be a factor, but after pricing out a rebuilt performance automatic with a stall converter and all the parts to convert Im looking at about $2000 to $2500 either way. The extra work invloved in the conversion isnt a big deal, Ive done it before on other years. So Im just curious what everyone else thinks, would you put a performance automatic in with a stall converter, or take the chance to make it a 6 speed?

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

if i could go back i would buy an auto. the M6 is fun at first, and still is, but when it comes to normal driving it almost gets annoying. say your talking on a phone, hold on (1-2 shift) alright im back, what was that, hang on a sec, (2-3 shift)... Autos are easier, everyone can drive em, if you get a little too drunk at the bar you dont have to worry about some dumbass messin up your clutch.

as far as racing, a stalled beefy A4 is supposed to be faster than a M6. the auto will never miss a gear, never over rev, it shifts perfect, every time.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by V8MUSCLE View Post
    if i could go back i would buy an auto. the M6 is fun at first, and still is, but when it comes to normal driving it almost gets annoying. say your talking on a phone, hold on (1-2 shift) alright im back, what was that, hang on a sec, (2-3 shift)... Autos are easier, everyone can drive em, if you get a little too drunk at the bar you dont have to worry about some dumbass messin up your clutch.

as far as racing, a stalled beefy A4 is supposed to be faster than a M6. the auto will never miss a gear, never over rev, it shifts perfect, every time.
    i agree...although many times i wish i had a m6...seems like more fun on the highway.

I think it comes down to personal preference. I would rather have an M6. I enjoy driving a stick a whole lot more than an auto.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I've had both, prefer M6 Stick FTW

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I'd say it really depends on your normal DD conditions.

For me, it was a tough choice. But, the traffic out here on the freeways and craziness of the city streets persuaded me to go with and A4.

I'm glad I did. There are a few times I wish I had gone with an M6. But, more times than not, while I'm doing 10 miles an hour on the highway, stop and go, or getting caught at lights every other block I'm glad I didn't

Machine Silver
    05 Corvette

go with the auto, stall and shift kit....you'll be happy with it.

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

go with the m6! any chump can press a pedal to the floor but it takes some skill to drive the wheels off an m6! way funner to drive too! heavy traffic sucks but its not like it doesnt suck in an auto as well, the stick will just keep u awake and who cares about talkin on the phone, your drivin a performance car!! lol

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

What do you want to do with the car? Guess some ppl cant muli task i can talk on the phone, drink soda and still shift the car. OOO yea M6 here, if i was going to drag race competively then yes a auto, but my street strip car m6.

What's more important to you? Convenience and consistent drag times or gear jamming fun and clutch changing? Both have there up's and down's! I perosnally dont care for the 2nd to 3rd characteristics of the T56 so Ill stick with the 3600 stall and a coffee cup in my right hand!

Black
    00 WS6

I've had both.....right now I have an auto because I want to drag race. I do miss having a M6 for driving on the street.

"go baby go"
    99 WS6

Personally I would stick with the A4 and drive it like a stick when performance is needed.
    The best of both worlds 'as it were.' You do have to be quick on the 3-2 downshift as well as the 2-3 upshift, but when done correctly the car behaves as if it was a manual. I've had several people ask me after I outperformed them, if I have an M6.

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Quote Originally Posted by WS6 > SS View Post
    What's more important to you? Convenience and consistent drag times or gear jamming fun and clutch changing? Both have there up's and down's! I perosnally dont care for the 2nd to 3rd characteristics of the T56 so Ill stick with the 3600 stall and a coffee cup in my right hand!

ive seen many people get very consistent drag times with 6speeds! i guess some people can drive well and others cant and should stick to the gears that shift for em, lol. and sure we have all had our share of missing 3rd when we first get our cars but after a while its just ancient history... i dont remember the last time i missed 3rd

Midnight Blue
    1998 Trans Am

Mostly I drive the car for fun, and toast the rice burners in the neighborhood. Right now I would be happy if the car shifted when its supposed to, the auto in it is screwed up and doesnt shift right, sometimes hits the rev limiter instead of shifting. Sometimes drops to first when it should have only downshifted to second. I can enjoy stick or auto, just havent decided which way I wanted to go. Had even thought about doing the auto with a manual valve body.

Machine Silver
    05 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by BLK2KSS View Post
    go with the m6! any chump can press a pedal to the floor but it takes some skill to drive the wheels off an m6! way funner to drive too! heavy traffic sucks but its not like it doesnt suck in an auto as well, the stick will just keep u awake and who cares about talkin on the phone, your drivin a performance car!! lol
    FUNNER

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

I would go with the beefed up a4 just cause it'll be a bitch to get the pedals installed and shit, but i agree i loved having an M6, more fun and nobody drove my car but me and maybe my brothers (who all know how to drive stick without burning the clutch) so i never had to worry about gettin picked up lol

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Quote Originally Posted by waldo View Post
    FUNNER
    haha, i didnt notice i had written that till after i posted it, was waiting for someone to call it out... thanks for that

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by V8MUSCLE View Post

this is the best explanation i've heard on here

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

im not sure if everyone is reading the question. his car is an automatic, hes going to swap the original A4 for a M6.
    its going to cost waaaay more to do a M6 swap than a beefy A4 with a nice stall. if the op goes with a M6 im pretty sure he overlooked his rear end. i may be wrong but the rear in a a4 was a 2.73ish, gears like that in a M6 are going to be slower than a civic. he'll need the M6, master and slave cylinders, clutch, flywheel, pedals, rear end(new gears atleast), and computer or tune possibly. im pretty sure im missing something.

http://www.performabuilt.com/level-2.html 2000 for everything you need.

our M6's have there downfalls too. EVERY time i drive mine aggressivly the clutch pedal sticks to the floor. just do a search for all the "sticking clutch pedal" posts... drill mod ftw
    Last edited by V8MUSCLE; 02-10-2010 at 08:37 PM.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by BLK2KSS View Post
    Above is such bullshit. Typical of some guy trying to prove something
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Thread Information