Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Question Anyone have info on Vette IRS Swaps?

Does anyone know of a source that does the mods, sells a kit or otherwise information on how to swap in a Vette C-4 rear in to a 98 WS6?

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

i would never do it to mine but i'm interested in seeing someone else do it. so bump.

what is your reasoning for wanting IRS?
    at the strip they are notorious for wheelhop, and on a track a suspension overhaul will prove to be at LEAST 3 times more cost effective.

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

I have seen it done

I have seen it done. There is a company that does this but it is in North Carolina...too far away. Not seeking a drag car but an IRS is much better for handling than a solid axle. I have a stock low mileage mint car and am deciding if these things will ever truly appreciate as so many would like to think or if I should mod it to my preferences. I am also weighing the cost of mods vs buying a newer car like a vette that may be more equipped for my desires already. Just researching, pricing and such before doing anything. If I decide to go ahead and mod with a stock style I have a Strange 12 bolt in mind.

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by thomasterrible View Post
    I have seen it done. There is a company that does this but it is in North Carolina...too far away. Not seeking a drag car but an IRS is much better for handling than a solid axle. I have a stock low mileage mint car and am deciding if these things will ever truly appreciate as so many would like to think or if I should mod it to my preferences. I am also weighing the cost of mods vs buying a newer car like a vette that may be more equipped for my desires already. Just researching, pricing and such before doing anything. If I decide to go ahead and mod with a stock style I have a Strange 12 bolt in mind.
    I can tell you now a C5/C6 will handle much better than a Trans Am with an IRS swap obviously. a C5 might even be cheaper in the end and will definatly be less of a hassle. 12 bolt ftw if thats the route you wish to take.

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Thats the point.

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    I can tell you now a C5/C6 will handle much better than a Trans Am with an IRS swap obviously. a C5 might even be cheaper in the end and will definatly be less of a hassle. 12 bolt ftw if thats the route you wish to take.
    Oh yeah for sure. Like many things it comes down to money. Like I said, its research.

The known source to do that swap costs 4 grand parts and labor.
    Last edited by thomasterrible; 09-28-2010 at 09:13 PM. Reason: addtl info

silver
    1999 z28 camaro

this is a great idea

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

your best bet is to just buy a vette and mod it for road coarse... i looked into doing this years ago and the cost was over the top... the person that was on this site that had this done wasn't impressed overall... lots of cutting and fabing to have it done with minmal gains...

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    your best bet is to just buy a vette and mod it for road coarse... i looked into doing this years ago and the cost was over the top... the person that was on this site that had this done wasn't impressed overall... lots of cutting and fabing to have it done with minmal gains...
    this is what i was getting at OP...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

let me tell you why irs in your bird is a BAD IDEAD.

1. You say it is a mint car..and want to know about if it will appreciate..Nope..it wont if you swap irs in it...could you imagine a mint 69' big block monster..with a irs in it..it wouldnt sell for much of anything.

2. 99% of people who buy camaros and trans ams buy it for straight line performance..the other 1% wish they would have bought a vette

3. IRS while good at handling is mostly used more for ride comfort.

4. No matter what you do to your bird..it will not be able to out handle a vette with any bit of suspension work..because there is weight distribution, suspension set up, gearing, aerodynamics, weight, geometry that make the vette better at handling...irs is only a small part.

5. a live axle bird can be set up to handle quite well..enough to accept 99% of what most people would ever throw at it.
    mods- suncoast creations hood with functional lt1 style airbox, ls6 intake, QTP longtube headers, QTP ORY, UMI SFC, Adj. LCA with relo brackets, UMI adj. panhard bar, Koni SA and strano springs,Torq Thrust M 17s 9.5 and 10.5 with nitto 555Rs, tuned by Frost
    Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    sometimes you get owned, sometimes you own.

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

i am a supporter of your idea! i think that would be one of the coolest things...fbody with IRS

...kinda like GM asking corvette purists if they should consider an AWD set up

vette owners had a hissy fit about it though.

keep us updated on this research of yours i am very interested in this idea!

(but ya buying a corvette would most likely be cheaper, even a C6 now a days)

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

the other thing you'll have to conisder is that you'll more than likely need to dump you exhaust before the axle...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I plan on doing an IRS on mine.. Prolly going to build a tubular differential cage out back for it.. The IRS would be more suited to a less heavy better balance front to rear 3800 car imho..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I plan on doing an IRS on mine.. Prolly going to build a tubular differential cage out back for it.. The IRS would be more suited to a less heavy better balance front to rear 3800 car imho..

if there is anyone able to do this conversion, smitty can

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by TmaxicanA View Post
    if there is anyone able to do this conversion, smitty can
    Little more to it but datz da plan

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

I think you misread my post..

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    let me tell you why irs in your bird is a BAD IDEAD.

1. You say it is a mint car..and want to know about if it will appreciate..Nope..it wont if you swap irs in it...could you imagine a mint 69' big block monster..with a irs in it..it wouldnt sell for much of anything.

2. 99% of people who buy camaros and trans ams buy it for straight line performance..the other 1% wish they would have bought a vette

3. IRS while good at handling is mostly used more for ride comfort.

4. No matter what you do to your bird..it will not be able to out handle a vette with any bit of suspension work..because there is weight distribution, suspension set up, gearing, aerodynamics, weight, geometry that make the vette better at handling...irs is only a small part.

5. a live axle bird can be set up to handle quite well..enough to accept 99% of what most people would ever throw at it.
    1. My statement was whether or not a mint low mile stock WS6 will ever increase in value. Some think they will, others don't. Nobody knows but I have serious doubts about that happening. The point being that of course if they were ever to become "collectible" it is always best to have a stock low mileage car in mint condition. This is something I am considering before doing any modifications to what I have.

2. In my case it comes down to money. I have owned both T/A's and Vettes and when I bought this car it was a "best bang for the buck" decision. I never suggested swapping the rear would make it a vette. If I make the leap to decide I am going to mod this car I am going to have to strengthen the drive train to handle the increased power. In that case I am considering all options taking in to consideration what I will have for the money when done.

3. It is the handling part that tempts me. I always get the TA or Vette with the best performance package that was available, I like the handling and the stiffness doesn't bother me at all.

4. Yes I understand that also.

5. It is a personal decision, there seems to be others interested in the idea.
    for me it is a money issue. Yes there are other modifications one can make to improve the handling.

The T/A being in the "muscle car" class is best suited to going fast in a straight line, commonly known as drag racing. Personally I think it would have been cool if the factory would have built the car with an IRS to begin with...and a stronger drive train and other things so I could just top it off with a blower and call it good. But they didn't so one can live with it as is or mod it how they like.

I will try to get what info I have posted when I have time. It is not an easy bolt on mod. There is quite a bit of fabrication needed. The one company I know of that does this mod said they could do the entire thing including all parts and labor for about 4 grand. They considered selling a kit but ultimately that did not happen. The cost to do it on your own? I have no idea. It would be cool to hear from those who have done the IRS mod to get a better idea about the cost/benefit. It can and has been done.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

1. My statement was whether or not a mint low mile stock WS6 will ever increase in value. Some think they will, others don't. Nobody knows but I have serious doubts about that happening. The point being that of course if they were ever to become "collectible" it is always best to have a stock low mileage car in mint condition. This is something I am considering before doing any modifications to what I have.

2. In my case it comes down to money. I have owned both T/A's and Vettes and when I bought this car it was a "best bang for the buck" decision. I never suggested swapping the rear would make it a vette. If I make the leap to decide I am going to mod this car I am going to have to strengthen the drive train to handle the increased power. In that case I am considering all options taking in to consideration what I will have for the money when done.

3. It is the handling part that tempts me. I always get the TA or Vette with the best performance package that was available, I like the handling and the stiffness doesn't bother me at all.

4. Yes I understand that also.

5. It is a personal decision, there seems to be others interested in the idea.
    for me it is a money issue. Yes there are other modifications one can make to improve the handling.

The T/A being in the "muscle car" class is best suited to going fast in a straight line, commonly known as drag racing. Personally I think it would have been cool if the factory would have built the car with an IRS to begin with...and a stronger drive train and other things so I could just top it off with a blower and call it good. But they didn't so one can live with it as is or mod it how they like.

I will try to get what info I have posted when I have time. It is not an easy bolt on mod. There is quite a bit of fabrication needed. The one company I know of that does this mod said they could do the entire thing including all parts and labor for about 4 grand. They considered selling a kit but ultimately that did not happen. The cost to do it on your own? I have no idea. It would be cool to hear from those who have done the IRS mod to get a better idea about the cost/benefit. It can and has been done.
    I've been thinking it may even take a full chassis length tubular frame to be done right.. Or the unibody would need seamed.. The factory spot welded construction is'nt the stiffest thing to ever hit the road.. I figure it would try to fold in half if someone were to just add hard points, especially in the areas that develope "torque dimples".. I'm also thinking the area @ the ends of the axle hump (inside fender well) would need serious mods just for an IRS travel geometry.. Just my .02..
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-29-2010 at 10:25 PM.

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

somewhere online there are photos from a shop in north carolina, i think, that did this to a 4th gen.

I'd love to put a C4 rear end in the thing. (C5 and C6 have transaxles out rear)
    But you'd still have to beef it up to handle more power.

My dream would be a built IRS for the car

Realistically, a ford 9" with a watts link and de-coupling torque arm would be your best bet.

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Yes c

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I've been thinking it may even take a full chassis length tubular frame to be done right.. Or the unibody would need seamed.. The factory spot welded construction is'nt the stiffest thing to ever hit the road.. I figure it would try to fold in half if someone were to just add hard points, especially in the areas that develope "torque dimples".. I'm also thinking the area @ the ends of the axle hump (inside fender well) would need mods just for an IRS travel geometry.. Just my .02..
    Howdy, in your case I will up it to 4 cents. Hope the project is still going well.
    I will PM you a link to what I am talking about with the photos. I dont know how to post photos and dont feel comfortable cross-posting between sites out of respect. But I think everyone would find the photos cool. Maybe you can help me do this in an ethical fashion?

I can answer a few questions, in this example (94 TA) they welded in a cross brace to strengthen the unibody, they were able to run a dual exhaust out the back, everything was ceramic powder coated and it looked very clean and nice to me. My thoughts are I wish I could drive one like this really hard and feel for myself how it handles.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Howdy, in your case I will up it to 4 cents. Hope the project is still going well.
    I will PM you a link to what I am talking about with the photos. I dont know how to post photos and dont feel comfortable cross-posting between sites out of respect. But I think everyone would find the photos cool. Maybe you can help me do this in an ethical fashion?

I can answer a few questions, in this example (94 TA) they welded in a cross brace to strengthen the unibody, they were able to run a dual exhaust out the back, everything was ceramic powder coated and it looked very clean and nice to me. My thoughts are I wish I could drive one like this really hard and feel for myself how it handles.
    For now it's a project still on the table.. I'm in the middle of a TT project that has begun to grind to a hault again due to time.. However this is the final "un-modded" season for the Camaro.. As soon as my first project is complete hopefully sometime before x-mas, I will begin striping the Camaro down to bare bones, and start a total rethink/rework of the entire platform..
    Last edited by Smittro; 10-01-2010 at 05:56 AM.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Its def a cool idea but point is modding the suspension as it is will get you damn near as good handling as modded IRS. Like shady said IRS helps more with comfort than handling and you said your fine with stiff uncomfotable suspension as long as it handles. When the tires are planted firmly on the ground IRS has no advantage over live axle performance wise, its only when things get bumpy and the tires start to get air that the IRS shines through because 1 tire moving doesnt effect the other.

Prime example is the 2011 stang gt live axle vs the bmw m3 irs. The cars are almost identical the whole way around the track, same hp similar curb weight.

Thread Information