Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Anybody Rear Clipped a 93-02 F-Body?

Back in November, my 00 TA was hit by a dumb ass in a tandem semi. I bought the car back, because I plan on fixing it. The door and fender body lines and gaps all seem fine, and the car doesn't seem bent. I've asked around locally if anybody has had any experience rear clipping these cars, but no one has seemed to have any experience doing it. I'm also coming up with very limiting information in my internet research. Most of the damage is only in the pass quarter and rear panel, but the driver's quarter has a slight kink. I've already bought basically an entire rear half of a TA for parts. Has anyone here had experience or know of someone that has taken on damage like this on our cars? I'm just looking to gain any tips or input. Additionally, I figured while I'm fixing the damage I plan on changing the rear end to a 12 bolt or 9 inch and installing mini tubs. The car will no longer be a driver, but a toy. Any info or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

That is major body damage are you sure the frame is not fucked. Cause these cars are unibodies and the damage definitely looks significant to that car.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

I had an impact very similiar to this and it was totalled because of frame damage mine looked a little worse tho...

As far as my measurements show, this damage did not effect the unibody structure/frame. It seems to be purely cosmetic.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

wow....just wow.

If you're really set on this good luck. I see what your saying. about it just looks like fender and body panel damage but nothing to the frame components. I would say that unless it was your shop doing the work most body shops would refuse to even attempt.

I would hit Jeremy (see Frankenbird thread) up and ask him. He's been rebuilding Nymp but he just took a Firebird and swapped over the front half and cut the t-tops out of the hard top body.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

I know you probably already know that this is gonna be pretty hard to get fixed...but I would be really really surprised if that did not cause some sort of structural/frame damage. Did the rear end shift at all because of the impact? The back passenger side tire looks like it is sitting at an angle now, but it could be because of the way the picture was taken or the fact that the rim is bent. The only reason I ask is because my rear end shifted and the frame was bent because of the impact. Are you going to cut the fenders right @ where they bent and replace it from that point back?

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    I know you probably already know that this is gonna be pretty hard to get fixed...but I would be really really surprised if that did not cause some sort of structural/frame damage. Did the rear end shift at all because of the impact? The back passenger side tire looks like it is sitting at an angle now, but it could be because of the way the picture was taken or the fact that the rim is bent. The only reason I ask is because my rear end shifted and the frame was bent because of the impact. Are you going to cut the fenders right @ where they bent and replace it from that point back?
    The rear end did not shift. The back tire is forward a bit because the lower control arm bent slightly. I'm replacing the quarters completely, meaning all the way to the door jams.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I think once you cut away all the damage stuff you'll (and us if you post a pic) get a better picture of what is possible.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Not nearly as bad, but give this thread a look over. Should give you a slightly better idea of what to expect.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f35/98-cam...an-new-145196/

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I think once you cut away all the damage stuff you'll (and us if you post a pic) get a better picture of what is possible.
    I agree. I hope to get into it in the next couple weeks. I have another few projects to wrap up first.

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Not nearly as bad, but give this thread a look over. Should give you a slightly better idea of what to expect.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f35/98-cam...an-new-145196/
    Ah yes. That is a good thread! Thanks!

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

sorry for what happened to your car,i feel where you're coming from I wanted to fix one of my wrecked T/As but got frustrated and sold it you wanna keep your car because you know what you have already but you still can try to find somebody to fix it just try to buy a car from the auction or locally believe it or not I saw many cars rear clipped and front clipped with worst damage than yours all you need is a second car it can be done as long as you find a good body shop that's used to clipping vehicles good luck

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I wouldn't even bother fixing that. My T/A had less damage and I decided to replace the body. The biggest thing that scares me about your damage is all of the wrinkled metal. You're going to have a bitch of a time trying to get your hatch, bumper, and tail lights to line up and look nice.

You have two options:
    1. Part out your car and buy another.
    2. Buy a roller and swap your parts over.

Also, when you do the minitubs, check out my thread. There are a lot of pics there.

I agree with post above ^^ Really not worth the time and money spent to fix that when you can buy nice 4th gens for $10k or less. Finding a shop to clip that and paint it will cost you twice that. WHY???
    Just too much headache for a car that's cheap to buy. I know it's not what you want to hear but I'm being truthfull. If it's just a labor of love and you don't plan to sell it (because you'll never recoup your money, not even close) then by all means, dive in.

Personally, I'd scrap it, keep spare parts, and buy another one.

My wife had a nice 6 speed vert that was rearended and totalled. She loved that car. I let them haul the heap away and bought another one, dime a dozen. Now she loves this one If this one gets totalled I'll probably shoot for a new 5.0 stang instead
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 08-19-2013 at 11:31 AM.

I appreciate the opinions of not messing with it, but I plan on fixing the car. In my opinion, it's not hurt bad enough to junk. I do all my repairing, fabricating, and painting myself, so I'm not concerned with the cost of clipping it. My inquiry was simply to hear anyone's past experience/tips clipping one of these cars.

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    I appreciate the opinions of not messing with it, but I plan on fixing the car. In my opinion, it's not hurt bad enough to junk. I do all my repairing, fabricating, and painting myself, so I'm not concerned with the cost of clipping it. My inquiry was simply to hear anyone's past experience/tips clipping one of these cars.
    Classic cars yeah, not these cars though since they are still easy to find and cheap to buy.

You'll need a quality frame shop with a jig to get that thing right again, and pay alot of labor hours that range from $90 to $130 an hour rate (around here.) It will get over several thousand $$$ real quick and that doesn't include body work and paint. Then hope that it drives like it did before the wreck when it's finished.

I was repairing wrecked Pro Stock cars that smacked the wall at 150+ mph. Those tube chassis had to be stripped bare and set on the jig, cut apart, and new sections made. Tons of hours of work and several thousand dollars, then sent back to me for paint work, body panel replacement etc...

For your car to be done right, (if you really want to clip it and install a new rear section) It would have to be gutted in a similar fassion to the bare unibody and installed on a jig. Lots and lots of man hours, and a good shop to do it right so the repair is undetectable.

Or go the cheap route and just have a shop pull it out on a frame machine measuring certain points to get it back in spec (give or take) then hope your new body panels all line up.

These pictures must make this damage look worse that what it is. The unibody structure of the car is not bent. A rack may be handy if I decide to repair and use the driver's quarter, which I will most likely replace. Because of the angle and height of the impact, the ugly part of this damage is mostly a quarter panel and rear panel; items that can easily be removed and replacements welded back in. I don't see the necessity to gut the car to make this repair. Yes, the hatch, any interior items in behind the front seats, and maybe rear end will need to be removed; but I can't see this repair requiring to going any farther than that.

Maybe I need to clarify; this will not technically be a full 100% rear clipping, but more of a rear panel replacement and hatch swap.
    Last edited by GULLETT17; 08-20-2013 at 10:21 AM.

These pictures must make this damage look worse that what it is. The unibody structure of the car is not bent. A rack may be handy if I decide to repair and use the driver's quarter, which I will most likely replace. Because of the angle and height of the impact, the ugly part of this damage is mostly a quarter panel and rear panel; items that can easily be removed and replacements welded back in. I don't see the necessity to gut the car to make this repair. Yes, the hatch, any interior items in behind the front seats, and maybe rear end will need to be removed; but I can't see this repair requiring to going any farther than that.

Maybe I need to clarify; this will not technically be a full 100% rear clipping, but more of a rear panel replacement and hatch swap.
    Ah yeah, big difference. Clipping the car is a general term used among us car nuts that refers to cutting one in half or sectioning the car to install an entirely new section. Since you used that term it immediately came to mind that the damage was structural and a rear clip was necessary, which requires gutting the car and intensive labor hours. That's why I suggested finding another car and scrap it

If it's just simple panel replacement then what are you waiting for? Start drilling those spot welds and get busy

Understandable. Around this area, clipping can be such a thrown-around a term. I guess I am guilty of that. I consider it a "clippping", because it is still a section of the car not just a panel.

I'm finishing up a tahoe/silverado dog house conversion and a few minor items on my vert, then the cutting and drilling of welds will start!

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    I wouldn't even bother fixing that. My T/A had less damage and I decided to replace the body. The biggest thing that scares me about your damage is all of the wrinkled metal. You're going to have a bitch of a time trying to get your hatch, bumper, and tail lights to line up and look nice.

You have two options:
    1. Part out your car and buy another.
    2. Buy a roller and swap your parts over.

Also, when you do the minitubs, check out my thread. There are a lot of pics there.
    Your minitubs are exactly what I plan on doing, not to mention a few other items you have done to your frankenbird. Did you get your kit from Wolfe?

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Your minitubs are exactly what I plan on doing, not to mention a few other items you have done to your frankenbird. Did you get your kit from Wolfe?
    Yeah, Wolfe.

Thread Information