Sebring Silver
    2002 T/A FireHawk

anybody have this problem?

Every now and then my key ignition doesnt work. when you turn the key nothing happens, but if you leave it in long enough it eventually works. i've been told that it has something to do with the security chip in the keys. anyone know about this?
    Bruce

98T/Aformula
    Its the security system, its in the back passenger side right above the spare tire when mine did it to me I just made sure all of the wires were attatched and it was secured down. Its just a small balck box, im pretty sure thats it. I really doubt it could be the chip on your key unless it got messed up some how by being thrown or something...

Sebring Silver
    2002 T/A FireHawk

thanks i'll try that.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

I will tell you this much. The chip in the key can lose its resistance, even if not dropped nor near a magnetic field. I've experienced it. GM blamed it on a non-GM key. Oh well, both are GM now. Hopefully it will never happen again.

blue
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by kirbbssters FireHawk View Post
    Every now and then my key ignition doesnt work. when you turn the key nothing happens, but if you leave it in long enough it eventually works. i've been told that it has something to do with the security chip in the keys. anyone know about this?
    hey i actually just joined this message board to answer this question ...
    i had the same problem and let me tell you what is was for me ... it was the VATS system ... what that is basically is its a ring thats in your ignition cylinder and it reads the resistor in your key and when they match up in resistance it tells your security system that its all good and your car starts ... now the problem is that its a 2 wire system off your ignition cylinder and one of the wires always starts to brake a little sooner or later so when that happens you get what you got going on .... it wont work one time than it will another till finally you will not be able to start your car ....

now what i did was take my steering wheel off and replace the cylinder .. you get one from the dealer .. you also get a new key ... and putting it in is a pain in the ass .. i will never do it again ...

this is what i will do next time it goes bad ... you can get a vats bypass modual from any alarm store or even off ebay ... it plugs into where the vats wiring system at the bottom of your steering colume so thier is no pain involved the only draw back is the chip in the key is now usless ...

Sebring Silver
    2002 T/A FireHawk

Quote Originally Posted by ws6race View Post
    hey i actually just joined this message board to answer this question ...
    i had the same problem and let me tell you what is was for me ... it was the VATS system ... what that is basically is its a ring thats in your ignition cylinder and it reads the resistor in your key and when they match up in resistance it tells your security system that its all good and your car starts ... now the problem is that its a 2 wire system off your ignition cylinder and one of the wires always starts to brake a little sooner or later so when that happens you get what you got going on .... it wont work one time than it will another till finally you will not be able to start your car ....

now what i did was take my steering wheel off and replace the cylinder .. you get one from the dealer .. you also get a new key ... and putting it in is a pain in the ass .. i will never do it again ...

this is what i will do next time it goes bad ... you can get a vats bypass modual from any alarm store or even off ebay ... it plugs into where the vats wiring system at the bottom of your steering colume so thier is no pain involved the only draw back is the chip in the key is now usless ...
    Thanks this is a big help, I will definitly try this, it sounds like that would be the fixer.

blue
    2002 ws6

no prob ... i do recoment getting the bypass system instead of replacing the cylinder though... .. glad i could help though

Thread Information