Amazon Fuel Pump

Hello Everyone! I have a 2001 Trans Am. My stock fuel pump was showing its age, with prolonged cranking. I did a stupid thing, and ordered an A-Premium Amazon fuel pump. I know. I know. But, it seems that this thing is causing my engine to ping at certain low rpms. Maybe its just me. I can feel like a slight surge in power when I put my foot into it. Could this cheap fuel pump cause this? And my knock sensors need changing too. The dreaded "check engine" light is on. Has anyone ever experimented with this cheap fuel pump?

Yellow
    2002 Trans Am

I still have the stock pump in my 02 TA. When was your filter last changed? When you took the old one out was the tank baffles intact?
    2002 Pontiac CETA #1315

Stock Engine, McLeod clutch kit/Tick MC in T56, stock suspension

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Only way to tell if the fuel pump is your problem is to get a pressure gage on the rail to see what is happening. I'm assuming of course that when you changed the old pump you also changed the fuel filter, if not start there. Otherwise, you can start with a static test at idle and revving the motor to see if your pressure is within spec and increases with rpm. Good thing is that if you don't have a gauge, many auto parts stores will loan you one free. If that doesn't show you anything conclusive you may want to consider a dyno tuning session.

A shop with a dyno can run your car and tell you exactly what is happening at road speed in different gears. What seems like fuel pressure could also be spark or some sensor on its way out and you need a computer to see those things. Your guess about the pump does sound reasonable. These cars are very sensitive to fuel pressure and what is going on at idle can be very different when the pump is under heavy demand at higher rpms. Cost will be several hundred dollars for a tuning session usually.

Alternatively you could just get a good quality pump and see if that cures your ills. Cost is less than booking the dyno time and will at a minimum give you peace of mind. I'm running a Racetronix. Fit just like stock with all of the correct provisions but definitely provided me a bit more pressure. I also went with their Hotwire harness to ensure proper voltage to the pump.
    Last edited by sjgreen6; 03-22-2021 at 06:08 PM.
    ATI Procharger, SFCs, Y-pipe, LM2, BBK Shorty Headers, Corvette N73 Magnesium Wheels, 4th Circle Designs Stripe and Overlay kit

I need to change my fuel filter. I have a brand new WIX sitting in my passenger seat. I will start with that. Then the fuel pressure gauge. Man, you guys are awesome!

Thread Information