BBATCAR

Am I getting totaly ripped off?

I have a 2001 WS6. The other day after detailing my car, it would not start, crank, nothing...I called AAA for a jump and the battery was like new, they couldn't figure it out. The gauges turned on, but would crank at all.

I had it towed to the Pontiac Dealer within my 7 mile allowance and do not have a warranty anymore. They noticed the "Security" light stayed on. They called me later and said it needed 2 new keys and the complete ignition cylinder replace. They said it would cost $508.00 !!!!

I'm at their mercy or pay for another tow somewhere else. Does that cost sound right? I'm trying to ask for some kind of discount, but I'm screwed since the car won't start.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

That does sound like alot. I had a had an ignition replaced like that on a T,bird, I know. I drove the car up there and something was broke in the collum and had to remove a battery cable to turn it off. But that only cost me like $60-80 , I cant remember.Also it was at a local garrage not a dealership. Check you warrenties some stuff on cars are always covered.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

They don't call'em a stealership for nothing Ask them what their rates are per hour...how many hours is the job rated for....add the dealership parts to that(which are always overpriced) and you'll have your answer

red
    04 pontiac gto

ya i have to agree they are stealerships.i had a spark plug wire problem and my car was still under warranty.they said it doesnt cover that i absolutly needed my car asap and told him to go ahead and change out all the wires and plugs.cost me 125 bucks i didnt think that was all that bad but when i got home and looked at what they actually did they only replaced one wire and plug.i was pissed i called them back and the guy was like thats all that needed to be replaced was just the one wire.i yelled saying why did u tell me u replaced all of them then i looked at my slip and noticed 1 wire and plug only was replaced.it was a battle i knew i wasnt gonna win so i cut my losses with them.just goes to show ya dealerships r out to screw ya over

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

ick, that utterly sucks, dudder.

i suggest finding a shop to do it. i'm sure it shouldn't cost that much, it's not like they are tracing the damn wires.

black
    2000 trans am

youre best bet is to buy a new ignition lock cylinder. when you do this, you also have to buy a key , because of the chip in it. total parts id say you re looking at around 80 dollars. after you buy this get some local garage that deals with GM's and have them do it. i just whent throgh the same exact thing it{2000 trans am} would not crank or enything. so after asking around i took the steering wheel off and sure enugh one of the two wires that led to the ignition was broken. very common problem with firebirds.

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

OKKKK i think i know what this problem is... If the security light is on the factory alarm has been tripped and it wont let you start your car because thats one of its features is the fuel cut off and engine kill..... If you have an aftermarket alarm this will happen sometimes as it did to me... But nonetheless this is what you need to do!!

First lock and unlock you car with the factory alarm then if you have your aftermarket alarm then disarm it after you do this step..

Next, enter the car and attempt to turn the car on... I know it wont work but this is part of the weird trick.

After you do that with the key in the ignition hold the ignition cylinder in the start position (as if you were going to start it regular) and arm and disarm your aftermarket alarm when pumping the break 6 times seperatly then pumping your gas petal 6 times seperatly.

Then remove the key from the ignition and make sure the car is off....

Open and close the door while your in it to turn off all the auxilliary power off.

Then with your factory alarm lock and unlock the car about 5 times but when you lock the car press the lock button twice so that you will hear the horn chirp....

After that is done then turn you car on the the accessory postition ( thats the ignition position on the car that is right before cracking the car up ) and wait till the computer checks the car quick..... When all the lights on your dash go off the security light shouldnt be on!!! If it's still on attapmt to repeat this process atleast 1 more time before calling it quits because i know it sounds weird but it's worked for me 3 times so i know that it works but then again you might have a different problem then me so just trying to offer some free help instead of going to your dealer or anyother shop for that matter and paying a fortune when it could be done in a matter of minutes for free!!!

Reasons for this problem occuring from my experience is most likely extreme cold or heavy rains that splash up underneath the car... I dont know why these two play a factor is the security light being on but after the 2 condition i listed mine got stuck on and i couldnt start the car either!!!

GOOD LUCK MAN!!! I hope this write up helps so that you can get you baby up and running again!!!
    Bulletproof Performance
    2002 Trans AM WS6 M6 Collectors Edition
    LSX 427 F-1R Procharged Build Underway
    Estimated Finish Date: Summer 2012-2013

BBATCAR
    Thanks All, I appreciate the feedback... Got it done with two new keys, ignition cylinder and labor for $400, still steep, but that's what I get for owning a car I don't know how to work on myself.

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

Is the ignition cylinder the same thing as an ignition lock cylinder. If so you can buy them online for 30.00

black
    2001 Pontiac Trans am

I had a extra set of keys made up by a local locksmith for $13 (GM)

Silver
    2002 SS

This exact thing happened to my buddy last week in his Bonneville. Same price and remedy from the dealer too.

We researched it in my Camaro manual later. They have to disable the Air bag and pull the steering wheel because the retaining bolt for the lock cylinder is under the wheel. So that adds labor and first they have to diagnose the problem.

Still, $400 seems like a lot for that job to me.

Maybe we could have fixed it like NeeD4SpeeD did, but we sure didn't know that trick at the time.

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by warpwr
    This exact thing happened to my buddy last week in his Bonneville. Same price and remedy from the dealer too.

We researched it in my Camaro manual later. They have to disable the Air bag and pull the steering wheel because the retaining bolt for the lock cylinder is under the wheel. So that adds labor and first they have to diagnose the problem.

Still, $400 seems like a lot for that job to me.

Maybe we could have fixed it like NeeD4SpeeD did, but we sure didn't know that trick at the time.
    Well i hope they cut you a break on the price or mayb it was cheaper... Because $400 is steep...

majorglory
    yea 400 is pretty sucky, but we have all been there

I fixed my camaro for $1.07 when this happened. I used an ohm tester on the key and then got a resistor. cut the 2 wires under the dash from the computer up to the ignition. Connected the wires from the computer with the resistor together and wallah. Granted it disabled my factory alarm, but who was going to steal a 95 v6 camaro

black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Justin7577Fbody
    I fixed my camaro for $1.07 when this happened. I used an ohm tester on the key and then got a resistor. cut the 2 wires under the dash from the computer up to the ignition. Connected the wires from the computer with the resistor together and wallah. Granted it disabled my factory alarm, but who was going to steal a 95 v6 camaro
    I second ^ My buddy did the same thing to my T/A when the car wouldn't start. Much rather pay $1 than $400, wish you had someone to do that for you.

Thread Information