Thread: Air ride

Black
    1999 WS6 TA

Air ride

Any of you installed air ride shocks, how much did you pay & how do you like them?
    i own my car since new & i lowered it right away , it looked great but it was too low & kept screaping the under carrige @ high speeds and on moderate bumps, i end up going back to the stock springs leaving an ugly gap between the tires & fenders, now i'm looking into air ride set up but it's about $5200 installed
    I'm running 315/35/17 rears & 275/40/17 front
    what do you guys think?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Air Ride Technologies should have something thats performs better than stock suspension.

Black
    1999 WS6 TA

correct, that's exactly what i'm looking into, i road race the car a few times a year & i'm told they're @ the top of the list, also i like to have the ability of lowering the car for looks @ low speed & raise it when i need a little adrenaline rush!
    '99 WS6 TA Incon twin turbo 505rwhp 503rwtq
    sphon torque arm, Kenny Brown sfc, Hutchkis sway bars & adj. lower control arms, Air Ride Technology fully adj suspension,
    lou's short stick, custom interior, tubular k frame & way more but who cares!

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

If I had the money I wouldnt hesistate. Get some adjustable suspension tho!!

Black
    1999 WS6 TA

$ not the prob. i just hate to spend it and find out the down side after the fact, as you know after market co. tend to exagerate just a little

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Ive watched a lot of shows and heard a lot of good things about them. Id find someone with em on a ride and ask to test drive it.

Black
    1999 WS6 TA

Exclamation

actually, i was looking for someone with an Fbody instal but no luck around here, i've seen '57 chevy but that does not help me much, i know it will look cool (shape) but i'm more concerned with function

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

ive seen a several articles and shows where they have swapped the stock setup with a air ride setup and in all of them they had very positive things to say and on road courses they shaved usually a several seconds off there lap times

Black
    1999 WS6 TA

OK, here are some of my concerns.
    1)air leaks
    2)durability of air bags (dried rubber)
    3)excessive noise from the compressor(s)
    4)battery drain
    5)maintaining preset level ride under all conditions

Black
    1999 WS6 TA

Talking

Well..........
    I'm going for it!!
    I've got an appointment with the shop for next friday,
    I've seen this guys work & it's first class all the way, there's a alignment shop right across the street so when i pick up my toy it will be ready to play

Front:
    The ShockWave™ v3.0 is our latest refinement of the original ShockWave™. It is typically used in an independent front suspension application. It can also be used in some independent rear suspension applications. The ShockWave™ v3.0 uses a double convoluted airspring bellows to achieve the load capacity required for these installations. The refinements for the ShockWave™ v3.0 are:

The availability of double adjustable shock valving so compression and rebound can be adjusted separately for even better ride quality and handling performance.

Rear:
    9000 and the ShockWave™ 7000?
    It's simple...diameter and load capacity. The smaller 7000 series is 4" in diameter and has a load capacity of 780 lbs.@ 100 psi. It is recommended for vehicles weighing 1500 lbs. or less on the rear axle, or as a supplement to a leafspring suspension. The 5" diameter 9000 series has a load capacity of 1200 lbs. @ 100 psi. It is recommended for heavier vehicles weighing 1500-2400 lbs. on the rear axle.

The new LevelPro™ leveling system is the most advanced air suspension control system available today. It is the result of several years of development by “hands on” engineers and refinement in real world vehicles.

The LevelPro™ system uses a unique combination of ride height sensors AND air pressure sensors to quickly achieve your selected ride height. By comparing the position of the ride height sensor to the air pressure the vehicle is leveled with no crossloading.

FEATURES
    • More accurate leveling
    The inclusion of ride height sensors in addition to air pressure sensors allows extremely accurate vehicle leveling with no crossloading
    • Better air pressure sensors
    New voltage based air pressure sensors eliminate EMI interference and grounding problems that can lead to inaccurate pressure readings and ride heights. This new voltage based sensor has more resolution [accuracy] and quicker response to allow faster and more accurate air pressure presets. It’s also smaller in diameter to allow direct installation into the RidePro® and BigRed solenoid blocks to eliminate remote mounting panels with extra lines and fittings.
    • Easier viewing in bright light from any angle
    VFD [vacuum florescent display] instead of an LCD [liquid crystal display]
    • Ride-height-on-start
    Each time the vehicle is started it will automatically go to highway ride height.
    • Control panel programming
    All programming [including the ride-height-on- start feature] can be accessed from the control panel so you can hide the ECU and still have easy access to all programming functions.
    • 3 ‘1 touch’ ride height presets
    Accessible from control panel. These ride heights are programmed by a simple push and hold action similar to programming a radio station preset. No secret sequence of buttons to push!
    • Backlit soft touch silicone buttons
    Easier actuation by feel, no diverting your eyes from the road to see which button you’re pushing!
    • Extruded aluminum ECU
    More robust to avoid physical damage during installation

I'll try & take notes & pics of the install.
    M.

1997 Formula & 2003 cobra
    money not the problem
    I like that but too bad I can't say that!

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

I know you want it for road courses but i wonder if it helps you hook better when launching.
    Maybe better than stock. How much is this set up gonna cost you?

@#$% You I'm from TEXAS Rojerlockless's Avatar

ASC# 285 Born Oct 26 2001
    2002 Collectors EDTA

i had them on my old 67 Ford 500 and other then

5)maintaining preset level ride under all conditions

they were wonderful.

just had to air them back up on occasion, well worth it.

Black
    1999 WS6 TA

Quote Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
    I know you want it for road courses but i wonder if it helps you hook better when launching.
    Maybe better than stock. How much is this set up gonna cost you?
    Sorry for the late response, i just got back from a buss. trip
    the answer to your question is yes, besides being able to adjust the shocks for compresion & rebound ,i should be able to preload the rear air bag for a better leave.
    as far as cost goes, $5k installed, with the car being flat bedded (tonight) to the shop, it will be there for 10 days, this shop does very clean work so it takes a little extra time.
    Last edited by 9t9ws6ta; 12-07-2007 at 10:47 AM.

Thread Information