Thread: Air box

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Air box

Is there a difference between the "ram air" air box and the regular ones? In the future i want to get a ram air hood, and would like the box to make it functional. Also im gonna buy a k&n panel filter, that fits either box right? And another question, ive seen some pictures of the k&n filter exposed and what looks like just the lid flipped over, does that do any better with the ram air hood? Thanks

Dreamin of a Paint Job... XtinKt's Avatar

Silver
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Yes there is a difference in the box. The K&N Filter will work on either box (i've been told). As far as the exposed filter goes (and this is just my opinion) I don't think it matters. You'll save a fortune just buying a lid instead of the other.

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Thanks, thats what im planing on doing just getting the filter and the lid, and later on down the road when i got some more $$ ill get the hood and the box. I was just curious bout that exposed filter cause id seen it a couple a times. Thanks again.

Blue
    2007 Kawasaki ZX-14

The difference is about a half an inch. The regular TA, Firebird, Camaro, SS airbox sit about a half inch high, the RAM AIR air box sits about a full inch. I can only get the tips of my fingers under the regular one, but my whole hand under the ram air one. This is arguably why are WS6's are faster than the SS as the SS still retains the lower one even though it has indirect induction as well. (Bigger opening, more air) Size is the same, all that's different is the height of the lip. Hope this helps.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

if you have a base T/A with no Ram Air, look into underbody CAI kits like the SLP under air kit. If you have ram air, look into it as well considering Brian doesn't make the BGRA kit anymore

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS7

Is the BGRA better than the SLP?

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Sorry, i havent been on in awhile. Im in Miami and wilma paid me a visit so i just got my power back a couple days ago. Anyways thanks everyone for the info, is the CAI kit from SLP the one with that stainless box cause ive seen it on summitracing. But does it make a difference in performancee from a ram air box with a lid and a k&n? The whole thing is that i have burnt into my brain that ram air is better cause the air is forced into the engine through the vents in the hood while the car is moving. With that setup the engine has to "work" less cause it doesnt have to suck in the air as with a cold air kit, which is why they make that little sucking sound.

Blue
    2007 Kawasaki ZX-14

Yes, BGRA is better than SLP, but unfortunately he is not making them anymore. Sad sad sad. MHO

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

SAD INDEED I NEVER GOT ONE AND I WISH SOMEONE HAD 1

Boosted Foolz

BlAcK
    1998 FiReBiRd FoRmUlA

the lids and filters fit both boxes, but dont waste ur money on a K & N filter, you dont gain ne HP from it...

plus when u go to "clean" the k and n, the oil used can get onto ur maf and screw that up

BlackHawk T/A
    Quote Originally Posted by 98_Formula
    the lids and filters fit both boxes, but dont waste ur money on a K & N filter, you dont gain ne HP from it...

plus when u go to "clean" the k and n, the oil used can get onto ur maf and screw that up
    Clean it thoroughly and re-oil it. Let it sit overnight with a towel under it. Any excess will drip off, otherwise it would have gone into your engine.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS-6

Does anyone know where I can get a LS1 Ram Air lid base(the part that bolts to the radiator)? Please email me at badazzta@hotmail.com. Thanks.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

This is a repost.

Don't waste your time and money on a WS6 lower aribox or for that matter a Ram Air hood unless you want the looks.
    Performance wise if the hood was debaffled and sealed to the correct airbox you would still only see about 3 HP at 100 mph.

I got my hood for $250 (obviously a deal I couldn't pass up) debaffled it and saw virtually no gains. It does look killer though
    Ram Air was a marketing ploy to sell premium cars. There is virtually no performance difference between a R/A Car and a Non R/A Car
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS-6

The reason I'm looking for one is that this is my 4th Fbody. My 2000 NBM WS6 got totaled when someone ran a red light and plowed into me(It only had 36,000 miles and, I just had my nitrous installed about a week before and only had two bottle run through it). It took me 4 months and narrowing down my list down to 4 cars, before I picked a 2002 Black WS6 with 38,000 mile. It's a cammed, bolton car with nitrous coming soon. The hood has already been debaffled. The only problem is that it came with a volant intake system and I'd prefer a lid. This is my fourth Fbody, but the first one I've bought that's already been modded. Any more suggestions? Thanks.

Thread Information