Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Aerodynamics of an F-body

I've noticed this before at various times but, now I'm convinced that I don't need to run my windshield wipers all the time at high speed. Low speed and in town still requires them.

Last night in the Chicago suburbs, I was driving in the rain on the Freeway etc. and I turned my windshield wipers off again to see if the aerodynamics of the F-body really had any effect on rain removal at high speed.

Left them off for at least 25 minutes of sustained driving in the rain at night and was able to see fine as the water was going up and over the car.

Today, coming back from Chicago to St. Louis, I ran into rain. This time I wanted to test the Falken tires at high speed in the rain as well as sustained daytime rain driving without windshield wipers.

Both characteristics were great. No need for windshield wipers except for being directly behind someone or on the side of a truck as both throw mist instead of drops.

At speeds in excess of 80mph, the Falken FK452's handle excellent in heavy rain. No hint of hydroplaning whatsoever and rain displacement of the aerodynamic windshield also receives high scores.

I'm sure I looked like a bullet going down the Freeway. No cops in the ditches as this was day 2 of rain and the ditches were soaked.

Also, radar does not work in rain..........No return or diminished return on the radar beam.

How many of you guys that got caught speeding were caught during heavy rain? I'm curious. Might be a good poll.

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

I have also noticed how much you really don't need to use the windshield wipers on the expressway. Also, a little RainX helps this even more. Its funny how people ask if I have RainX on the windshield during rain even when I haven't had any on there in months

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

Yeah, the rain just rolls right off the windshield. I havent even used rainx on my car since I try not to do much rain driving but almost no need for wipers unless stopped.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am A4

what wipers do you use? i bought new wipers...and they are noisy as hell. is this a common problem? or do i have wipers that suck?

i don't usually turn my wipers on high unless i'm behind a semi (reasonable distance), soon to pass him on the highway.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Add some RainX and the water won't even touch your windshield...not really, but it's close enough

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

My windshield wipers aren't noisy but, annoys me to watch them while I drive. I've never owned a car that I could leave the windshield wipers off at high speed.

I've also got into the habit of at least slowing down to 40mph or less to retract the headlights as I don't think that it is good for the headlight motors to fight the wind force to retract. These have plastic gears and I don't want to strip them out due to this. Up at high speed probably not a problem but, putting them down I think adds to the wear. Thoughts?

White
    2001 Trans Am

Man another set of EXCELLENT rain tires are the GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 GS D3s I have on my bird. I remember when they were brand new, my first trip through the mountains in PA, route 70/76, in pouring rain I reached speeds well over 90mph like it was nothing. Stupid, yes.. Fun, HELLL YES! They're getting closer to replacement age now(they're 36k summer tires and i run them all year) But they're still DAMN good in the rain.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Monguse17 View Post
    Man another set of EXCELLENT rain tires are the GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 GS D3s I have on my bird. I remember when they were brand new, my first trip through the mountains in PA, route 70/76, in pouring rain I reached speeds well over 90mph like it was nothing. Stupid, yes.. Fun, HELLL YES! They're getting closer to replacement age now(they're 36k summer tires and i run them all year) But they're still DAMN good in the rain.
    Yeah, 80 is about all I had the balls to do. I've always experienced some hydroplaning on other tires. Yeah, it is a bit of a rush.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

80 plus in heavy rain? ur outta your mind!!!! lol....i did that shit with brand new tires when i was in my early 20s......lookin back at it now though i think i was dumb as shit....i hydroplaned once in my last z.....it was NOT fun.......as for the rain running off.....yes rain-x works fantastic on our cars...heavy rain 40+ mph wipers are never needed with the rainx

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am A4

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    80 plus in heavy rain? ur outta your mind!!!! lol....i did that shit with brand new tires when i was in my early 20s......lookin back at it now though i think i was dumb as shit....i hydroplaned once in my last z.....it was NOT fun.......as for the rain running off.....yes rain-x works fantastic on our cars...heavy rain 40+ mph wipers are never needed with the rainx
    they may have had traction control. that could help....i wouldn't know...my T/A doesn't have it

pewter

Quote Originally Posted by jknelms View Post
    they may have had traction control. that could help....i wouldn't know...my T/A doesn't have it
    at 80+????????????? LOL....once u start hydroplaning nothing can help u........hold the wheel steady, slowly let off the gas, and pray like a mother fucker .......hydroed over an entire bridge goin 70 on the thruway....u know how somtimes the bridges drop down an inch or so when u hit them? well this one was all standing water.......felt like my z was water sking for a few hundred feet

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

at 80+????????????? LOL....once u start hydroplaning nothing can help u........hold the wheel steady, slowly let off the gas, and pray like a mother fucker .......hydroed over an entire bridge goin 70 on the thruway....u know how somtimes the bridges drop down an inch or so when u hit them? well this one was all standing water.......felt like my z was water sking for a few hundred feet
    Wow!! wild ride. Yeah, I thought going 80 on a wet highway was nuts too. The roads however were not wet like from a heavy rain. It was moderate so, I wouldn't attempt this on a heavily rained on surface. The curvature of a highway surface will dissipate the rain on a moderate level. If its any heavier and the road can't handle it so, its just solid pools of water.

Since the car was handling fine at 60 in the rain, I only bumped it up 5mph at a time and then test the handling. I didn't attempt anything above 80 though so, I only know how the Falken FK452's handle at 80 in a moderately wet highway.

That's my best guess and I guess I tested the speed a bit instead of getting myself into an "Oh Shit" maneuver and then not knowing how to get myself out safely. I've also joined an autocross club to work on reaction time and understanding the limitations of both the vehicle and myself.

White
    2001 Trans Am

So did you completely $h!+ yourself?! I would have.. Yah like I said, it wasn't the smartest thing I've done. The traction control has saved my ass quite a few times. On the OE tires, I couldn't go around a merging right turn without fishtailing a little. Also on the OE I once downshifted from 6th to 4th on a damp highway and started fishtailing.. I've seen cars completely flip while hydroplaning. Lucky for me, it was in my rear view mirror.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I was driving through Denver this summer and it was raining like a son of a gun. anyway i was down to like 65 and went through this dip that had like 4 inches of water standing that i didn't see till to late and it threw me sideways and sounded like it ripped to bottom of my car off. Pretty much scared the shit out of me.

pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Monguse17 View Post
    So did you completely $h!+ yourself?! I would have.. Yah like I said, it wasn't the smartest thing I've done. The traction control has saved my ass quite a few times. On the OE tires, I couldn't go around a merging right turn without fishtailing a little. Also on the OE I once downshifted from 6th to 4th on a damp highway and started fishtailing.. I've seen cars completely flip while hydroplaning. Lucky for me, it was in my rear view mirror.
    yeah i had brown streaks in my pants..lol...driving these cars at 70 with 275 or wider tires that are more than half worn in pouring rain is mother fucking dangerous..lol.......i prolly had 3 or 4 32nds on the tred when that happend....learned my lesson...if the tires arnt nearly new slow the fuck down in the rain in these cars

White
    2001 Trans Am

yeah i had brown streaks in my pants..lol...driving these cars at 70 with 275 or wider tires that are more than half worn in pouring rain is mother fucking dangerous..lol.......i prolly had 3 or 4 32nds on the tred when that happend....learned my lesson...if the tires arnt nearly new slow the fuck down in the rain in these cars

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

I got those rain-x lattitude wipers with the curve to them that hug the windshield and rain-x the shit out of windshield and t-tops. As for t/c every time I get in my car I turn it out as soon as I start it. PITA. I still don't know why everyone hates hydroplaning so bad. The causeway comming into town gets flooded all the time in bad rain, love hitting it and going skimming, seeing the water flying up in front of the headlights at night. Looks awesome.

Just want to say, thanks for the tip on radar not working in rain =) I can't wait till next storm. Going to go nuts!

pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    I got those rain-x lattitude wipers with the curve to them that hug the windshield and rain-x the shit out of windshield and t-tops. As for t/c every time I get in my car I turn it out as soon as I start it. PITA. I still don't know why everyone hates hydroplaning so bad. The causeway comming into town gets flooded all the time in bad rain, love hitting it and going skimming, seeing the water flying up in front of the headlights at night. Looks awesome.

Just want to say, thanks for the tip on radar not working in rain =) I can't wait till next storm. Going to go nuts!
    i hope we dont read about u in the obituarys!!! lol

Thread Information