red
    04 pontiac gto

accerlation problem

today while driving to work i had some accerlation problems from a stop point.its kinda random meaning it doesnt happen everytime i go to accerlate but ive notice when it does happen seems like it lost the kick that it once had..what do i need to check?ive never doen a tune up so i wonder if that might be the problem im at 79,575 miles..i check the air filter(which is a k&n filter)and fluids as well ...am i missing soemthing please help

LS1 Noob

Red
    2000 WS6

Maybe a miss or two... or three? Is the SES light on or flashing? Might want to check your wires and make sure they seated on the plugs and none of them have cracks.

Marc

red
    04 pontiac gto

nope no lights or anything.its weird cause it doesnt do it all the time either

Sunset Orange
    2001 Z28

Fuel Filter maybe

92 K Blazer/'03 H-D Deuce

it is hesitation or it is more the engine is slow, then all of a sudden it surges then power dies again? it is happening at a certain rpm?

red
    04 pontiac gto

Quote Originally Posted by whoa guy
    it is hesitation or it is more the engine is slow, then all of a sudden it surges then power dies again? it is happening at a certain rpm?
    i dnt know really how to explain it but before i hit the gas and it took off now i hit the gas and its a steady increase in speed instead of the sudden surge...if it helps any maybe its the bg 44 fuel injector stuff wearing out or something cause i put some in about 1000 miles ago.i dont know what the hell is up with it i just sense something is not right with her.i know its only a v6 but it still perform very nice .maybe it does need new plugs and wires i didnt notice any noticable cracks or anything in the wires.it seems like a pain in the ass to change the plugs though cause they seem to run to the side of the engine block and my fat hands get seem to get in there without losing alot of skin...

Black
    97 Firebird

I would go ahead and do a tune up to gear up for the season. I know GM says you should only change your plugs once every million years or so, but when I first got my car it had 118xxx KM on it. Shortly after I took it to the track and noticed I was running a bit slower than I should've been. I changed my plugs and wires and filters and went the next week and dropped .3 tenths off my ET. Although my car was running "just fine" and there were no actual problems with the old stuff, my performance was suffering.

Just do a tune up on it, then intake and exhaust and then strap a bottle in the spare tire compartment and you'll never question your cars performance again.
    1997 Firebird 3.8L
    A4,WS6 Ram Air Hood, Edelbrock Catback, SLP CAI, 85 Dry Shot
    1981 Firebird Trans Am
    http://members.cardomain.com/dreaded_hope

Pewter
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

80k I too would the tune-up and maint.

red
    04 pontiac gto

ok heres an update.i brought my car in for a tune up now its misfireing like crazy so i know something is wrong here,they started out doing a platnum tune up(plugs wires gas filter)that didnt sovle it so .they thought it was the distributor...nope...then they replaced the engine coils still nope,i dropped my car off at 7am and had to leave it there all day cause they couldnt figure out what was wrong.it kept showing coil 5 was misfiring.they closed early cause today was a holiday so now im carless bastards didnt even give me a loaner or shit...they are gonna change the modules now saying thats gotta be it....all together shit is gonna cost me 1k..well see how tommorow works out

LS1 Noob

Red
    2000 WS6

Do you know if they tried moving the coil packs around to see if the misfiring followed the swapped packs? That would be a good way of finding out if you have a bad pack or two. Once they figure out which coil pack is misfiring, they might try checking and cleaning the contacts to make sure they're making good contact (kinda like a corroded battery terminal or bad ground).

Good luck,
    Marc

black black pewter
    89,00 LPE WS6,02 LPE WS6

make sure they gapped the plugs right. also i have found after using ngk iridium plugs they caused a heck of a misfire. ended up going back to the ac delco and the problem went away. i changed everything, fuel filter, reflashed the pcm, crankshaft sensor, throttle sensor, about a 1000 worth of parts and labor and it all came down to plugs
    83 Firebird SCCA Race Car, 89 WS6 T5 SCCA Race Car 00 Lingenfelter WS6 T-Top 6spd Transam, race suspension, baer brakes, 02 Lingenfelter WS6 vert 6spd Transam, 1971 LT1 Vert Corvette, 06 Ext Cab Z88 5 spd Canyon, 08 Z71 Ext Cab Sierra

SOM
    2002 Formula Firehawk

It's a good idea to change out the plugs before 40K miles; why I say that is Alumunim heads have a tendency to cause the plugs to seize in the plug hole and rip out some of the threads out of the head. Be sure to use some anti-seize on the new plugs, the factory did not use any on the originals.

red
    04 pontiac gto

well its fixed ,all along it was the engine module what ever that is,they say there were four of em and the one the controls spark plug five was fried so they say...but for preventive matience i had them change everything,new plugs,wires,fuel filter,dis cap,coils,and moduels....i figured since there in there might as well change em.they gave me not that bad of a deal on the labor only charged me for 3hours worth of labor.so i guess its not that bad considering it was there all day monday and half of tuesday.the total came up to 1,023 dollars...guess thats what i get for having a gm performance car but i wouldnt want anything else

LS1 Noob

Red
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by firebird99
    well its fixed ,all along it was the engine module what ever that is,they say there were four of em and the one the controls spark plug five was fried so they say...but for preventive matience i had them change everything,new plugs,wires,fuel filter,dis cap,coils,and moduels....i figured since there in there might as well change em.they gave me not that bad of a deal on the labor only charged me for 3hours worth of labor.so i guess its not that bad considering it was there all day monday and half of tuesday.the total came up to 1,023 dollars...guess thats what i get for having a gm performance car but i wouldnt want anything else
    Wow... they didn't even buy you dinner?!

Dis (distributor) cap? Please tell me they didn't use that term for a part in your car.

Marc

red
    04 pontiac gto

lol now i was just to lazy to type the thing out and figured u would know what i ment by it

Thread Information