Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Question ABS INOP light on dash

I recently purchased a silver 2000 T/A, WS6, M6. The previous owner stated that he had replaced the rear end with one out of a 2002 T/A. He said something about replacing it with a rear end with different 'channels'. I let it go, until I did some research on the difference between 3 channel rear ends and 4 channel rear ends. The silver T/A I purchased does not have TCS, so if I'm correct, it had a 3 channel rear end from the factory. The rear end was replaced with a 4 channel rear end by the previous owner, ie "one with different channels". I assume it was a 4 channel he was talking about. Question: Is there any way to make the ABS INOP light on the dash go out, without replacing the rear end with another 3 channel rear end? I had the instrument cluster bezel out, and looked for a bulb that might be taken out so as to not light up that warning light, but there was not. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am just concerned that I won't be able to get it inspected with the ABS INOP warning light illuminated. Thanks ahead of time!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Those lights are hardwired into the board.

You can go under the the car and look at the top of the center section of the diff. There should be a plate that caps where the sensor would go into. If it does have one, just get another sensor and install it and hook up the harness. You should be fine after that.

Also the only other way to get rid of it is have a tuner turn off the reporting code which should turn off the light.

I deleted my ABS when I swapped over to my 8.8 rear, so mine is on all the time as well as the brake light. I haven't gone to have it tuned out yet.

I've been suggested to just put on some black tape over the light too.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Yep sensor has to be changed out.
    98 WS6 M6 ASC #2647
    Forged Custom 408 w/Vortec YSi

Red

So, I would get a sensor for a 4 channel rear end OR 3 channel? It's a 4 channel rear end, but a 3 channel EBCM... I haven't checked the rear end differential yet, waiting on a floor jack.
    Ported/Polished throttle body, Lingenfelter launch module, SLP line lock, QTP exhaust cutout, LS7 clutch, K&N, Ceramic coated longtubes, no cats, 3" exhaust, Flowmaster "B", Eibach springs, Midwest Chassis 9" rearend w/4.10's

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

3 channel. That's what you're pluging in to

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

a three channel rear is has one sensor located in the top of the pumpkin section. it reads off the tone ring on the carrier inside the differential. a 4 channel has an ABS sensor at each wheel and reads off the tone rings attached to the axles.

three channel = two up front (at each wheel) and one in rear (top of center section of differential)
    four channel = two up front and two in rear (one at each wheel).
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Red

This is awesome information. Thanks so much guys! As soon as I get my floor jack, I'll be looking underneath, because I doubt I will be able to get an inspection with the ABS INOP light illuminated on the dash.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Here they only go by whether or not the Check Engine light is on for inspection. You might want to call and ask if that's a concern. Otherwise, it really isn't affecting anything other than being annoying probably.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Red

I'll definitely ask. But you are right, it is annoying. Thanks again.

Thread Information