Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    1998 T/A

98 WS6 exhaust, single tailpipe?

I have a 98 WS6 i ordered in Nov of 97 as soon as i seen the new model coming, i just had to have it. but anyways i didn't get it till june july because of the strike. The car has a single large tailpipe and only 1 side like the old firehawks have, i never see any other cars with the single, i just assumed all the 98's had single pipes but i never see any. Anybody know whats up here, just curious? did they change it mid year or i just never see any 98's?

Red
    2001 ws6

98's came with the single exhaust pipe along with the '04 gto

It has a big wing!

All 98' WS6 optioned Firebirds (Trans Am or Formulas) came with the single 3 1/2 inch ( I think that's the size) tail pipe.In 1999 the WS6 option gave the WS6 packaged Firebirds two single single tail pipes.Base TAs and Formulas had the base "ovalish" tips.And WU6 (Firehawk) optioned Firebirds got the SLP dual dual catback.

In addition all 1998 SS packaged Camaros came with this single tip as well unless optioned with the SLP dual dual. In 1999 the base SS packaged Camaro was equipped with the single single tips like the WS6 optioned Firebirds.. Z28 Camaros got the slender vent like tips. Later SS Packaged Camaros also had ceneter mount exhaust as an additional option.

MANY people seem to not like the single tipped 98' WS6 exhaust set up and end up ditching it in favor of an aftermarket kit...

I personally like it and will bet you that as the years go by and people want to restore these cars, those single tipped WS6 catbacks are going to be very hard to find AND be worth much more than they are now... Just a guess and my opinion!

If you change it out,I would store it... ya never know!
    1999 Firehawk Trans Am #530

White
    1998 Trans Am

I would keep it to change it back if you sell it but on the TA's it looked
    out of place with the 2 exhaust openings.

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

ive seen these single outlets before and wondered why they were that way. now i know

White
    1998 Trans Am

They looked better on formula's and camaro's in my opinion since they had no specific exhaust cutouts

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    They looked better on formula's and camaro's in my opinion since they had no specific exhaust cutouts
    i 100% agree

White
    1998 T/A

Thanks guys, i actually don't mind it one big tip is kinda cool it they didn't have the cut out on the other side i would really like it.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i love the single outlet ...it is rare and one of the best if not the best exhaust they offered for the 4th gens

Black
    1998 WS6

They did it to pass the Federal drive by noise test. They put the exhaust outlet on the opposite side of the car from the microphone used in the test. I have an article around here somewhere that tells all about it. I took mine off, but stored it for the future.

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Quote Originally Posted by Baluchitherium View Post
    All 98' WS6 optioned Firebirds (Trans Am or Formulas) came with the single 3 1/2 inch ( I think that's the size) tail pipe.In 1999 the WS6 option gave the WS6 packaged Firebirds two single single tail pipes.Base TAs and Formulas had the base "ovalish" tips.And WU6 (Firehawk) optioned Firebirds got the SLP dual dual catback.

In addition all 1998 SS packaged Camaros came with this single tip as well unless optioned with the SLP dual dual. In 1999 the base SS packaged Camaro was equipped with the single single tips like the WS6 optioned Firebirds.. Z28 Camaros got the slender vent like tips. Later SS Packaged Camaros also had ceneter mount exhaust as an additional option.

MANY people seem to not like the single tipped 98' WS6 exhaust set up and end up ditching it in favor of an aftermarket kit...

I personally like it and will bet you that as the years go by and people want to restore these cars, those single tipped WS6 catbacks are going to be very hard to find AND be worth much more than they are now... Just a guess and my opinion!

If you change it out,I would store it... ya never know!
    About all I would add is that the '99+ WS6 factory exhaust tips were 2.5" dia, and the technical reason GM changed to this was to meet new noise standards in '99 (and I'm "sure" all the complaints about the "ricer fart-pipe" SOTL had nothing to do with it either ).

Quote Originally Posted by TROYWS6X
    They did it to pass the Federal drive by noise test. They put the exhaust outlet on the opposite side of the car from the microphone used in the test. I have an article around here somewhere that tells all about it.
    I'm not so sure about this, I'd like to see that article.

BTW, I still have my SOTL.

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

black
    2001 Trans Am

Wow, this is interesting! I learn something new everyday

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Formys have exhaust cutouts there chief.

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

what exactly was the dual-dual exhaust that was offered in the firehawk. and i don't know what mine had since everything after the downpipe had rusted or been removed by the dumb kid who owned it before me. man did that sound terrible...
    Last edited by goof4080; 04-30-2010 at 01:05 PM.

It has a big wing!

Quote Originally Posted by goof4080 View Post
    what exactly was the dual-dual exhaust that was offered in the firehawk. and i don't know what mine had since everything after the downpipe had rusted or been removed by the dumb kid who owned it before me. man did that sound terrible...
    Part of the SLP Firehawk package was the installation of the dual dual catback. This was a stainless steel exhaust kit installed by SLP that was a much higher flowing system than the base V8 Firebird exhaust or the WS6 exhaust. This info is only from what I have read and people testing it out on the dyno vs a cut out.

The kit has two slash cut tips on the passenger and two slash cut tips on the driver side hence the name dual dual...

It was also available on the SS package as an option.If not optioned,the SS package will come with the same exhaust kit as the WS6 Firebird.

I personally love the sound... Very deep quiet and refined.Even when I had one on my SS without cats,it sounded VERY nice. I just personally don't like the tips that much.I'm probably going to change them out later on.

Hope this helps you out man...

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

just wondering if slp ever offered a similiar exhaust, all they really sell is powerflo or loudmouths...(with the same tips ofcourse!)

what we need is some pics on this thread... post up your SOTL and slp dual/dual pipes!

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by bryceslu View Post
    Formys have exhaust cutouts there chief.
    I'll have to wait till I see one again and look closer. I don't remember my old bosses Formula's having specific cutouts in the bumper like the TA's, I remeber we did dual dynomax bullets with axle dumps off the lt's on the blue 99. But it'been a while ince he blew both of them uso haven't seen one in a while. One went to the junkyard and one got a new motor and owner.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

It has a big wing!

Quote Originally Posted by goof4080 View Post
    just wondering if slp ever offered a similiar exhaust, all they really sell is powerflo or loudmouths...(with the same tips ofcourse!)

what we need is some pics on this thread... post up your SOTL and slp dual/dual pipes!
    Posts#s 251 and 253 have some grat shots... just basically looks like a Loud Mouth kit...

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...121344&page=13

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    98's came with the single exhaust pipe along with the '04 gto
    The GTO had true duals, but they both came out on the left. I remember Pontiac making a big deal about this when the car came out. Then they changed it for '05 and '06, because nobody liked the duals exiting on one side.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I'll have to wait till I see one again and look closer. I don't remember my old bosses Formula's having specific cutouts in the bumper like the TA's,
    I'd call it more of a spot for exhaust to tuck up into rather than a cutout. but its sort of a cutout. heres my formula

Thread Information