Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

98-02 T/A FT T/Singal & DRL fix

I have some new ft turn signal/drls for my T/A but I want to do my best to keep the leak free, where do these buggers leak from, and how do we seal them up?

I am fine with drilling small holes to drain the water out but I figured its smarter to never let the water in the first place.

Also, anyone have any sucess with some sort of lamp protection film to keep rocks from cracking the lenses?

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    I have some new ft turn signal/drls for my T/A but I want to do my best to keep the leak free, where do these buggers leak from, and how do we seal them up?

I am fine with drilling small holes to drain the water out but I figured its smarter to never let the water in the first place.

Also, anyone have any sucess with some sort of lamp protection film to keep rocks from cracking the lenses?
    Bump

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Autotrix thinks they leak from the gasket between the bulb socket and the housing shrinking over time. They sell a larger softer gasket to fix the problem https://www.autotrix.net/Products/14...Light+Gaskets/ . Some others have had problems with gaps between the lens and the housing that they fixed with a bit of silicone around the edge, and others have had cracks in the lens from overheating bulbs.
    ATI Procharger, SFCs, Y-pipe, LM2, BBK Shorty Headers, Corvette N73 Magnesium Wheels, 4th Circle Designs Stripe and Overlay kit

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by sjgreen6 View Post
    Autotrix thinks they leak from the gasket between the bulb socket and the housing shrinking over time. They sell a larger softer gasket to fix the problem https://www.autotrix.net/Products/14...Light+Gaskets/ . Some others have had problems with gaps between the lens and the housing that they fixed with a bit of silicone around the edge, and others have had cracks in the lens from overheating bulbs.
    I will check out the gasket, and silicone the gaps.

Can an LED conversion fix the overheating?

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I will check out the gasket, and silicone the gaps.

Can an LED conversion fix the overheating?
    LEDs very much can fix the heat issue. The only follow-up issue would be a LED compatible flasher unit would need installed also.
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, QTP Longtube headers ORY, LS6 intake, EGR/A.I.R delete.
    Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays
    YouTube.com/DarrenWS6

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenWS6 View Post
    LEDs very much can fix the heat issue. The only follow-up issue would be a LED compatible flasher unit would need installed also.
    Has anyone here done it, sucessfully?

Does is require all "flashable" bulbs (ft side marker, rr side marker, tail lamps) to be LED too?

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Has anyone here done it, sucessfully?

Does is require all "flashable" bulbs (ft side marker, rr side marker, tail lamps) to be LED too?
    No, you don't need to convert everything to LED. The LED compatible flasher will just prevent hyper flash that occurs with a bad bulb. Aside of a partially melted harness, I suspect the flasher to be faulty in my car which causes this.

My plan for the following is,

To swap to an LED compatible electronic flasher
    ( https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...c-flasher/780/ )

Wire in the new light bulb harness I got from RockAuto for I think $10

And install these new Sylvania Zevo LED bulbs in the housings for the LED benefits ( low heat, brighter output ).
    ( Sylvania Zevo LED Miniature 3157 Amber 3454A 3457 3757A 4057 3757 4114 Two Bulb | eBay )

I love the parking lamp DRLs on the Vette's and F-bodies. Absolutely adore the appearance, adds so nicely to the already menacing appearance.

This won't all happen until maybe April when I get my WS6 back from PaJeff's secured winter storage hands . I plan to do apply some overlay decals ( center tail, door emblems, bird plate ) and possibly some UMI SFCs, so i'll have this all done in a couple months.

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

Keep us posted on how it turns out Darren.
    2002 Firebird Formula - 5.7 Liter - "Last of the Breed"

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 024mula View Post
    Keep us posted on how it turns out Darren.
    Gladly will!

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Further research has rendered me to find this flasher as a guaranteed fix for hyper-flashing after an LED bulb exchange.
    https://www.superbrightleds.com/more.../#/tab/Reviews

I lost the f-body page that I found the info at, but I looked online and didn't like the many pins the FL3 red flasher I posted in post#7, feeling it may be too universal and possibly not work. I may call up SuperBrightLEDs before I order here soon to confirm/take suggestions.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Not that I didnt believe you guys but the root cause of my TS leaks were hairline cracks i. The lens. I cleaned my lenses and put clear packing tape over them, and drove it through the car wash and no leaks, moisture build up or anything.

I am certainly going to convert to LEDs and put protection film, silicone, etc on the new ones I have before install.
    SLP Air Lid/Smooth Bellows
    L76 6.0L block, PRC Ported 243 heads, Texas Speed 224R cam.
    Kooks Emissions LT Headers/Catted Y pipe
    NGK TR55 plugs
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    Spohn Front Upper Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Lower Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Sway Bar
    UMI Rear Lower Control Arms/ Adjustable Panhard Rod
    UMI Welded-on Two Piece Subframe Connectors
    Factory C5 Z06 17x9.5 wheels w/ 285-40-17 Continental Extreme Contact Sports all the way around.
    Dyno Dynamics dynoed @:
    415 rwhp

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Curious to see what you figure out. I just got another set of housings to replace my current ones before car show season. My passenger one will only light up when the headlights are turned on. Its still pretty dim then. Wont do anything else at all.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    Curious to see what you figure out. I just got another set of housings to replace my current ones before car show season. My passenger one will only light up when the headlights are turned on. Its still pretty dim then. Wont do anything else at all.
    You are saying you have those problems with LED TS's?

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

You are saying you have those problems with LED TS's?
    No the regular stock stuff. Seems like im replacing part of them every year so im looking into LEDs and trying to see what works best. Blackbird lighting solutions offers some other stuff to use also but takes a little more work/wiring to install there setup. Cool thing about theirs is that it lights up white normally then switches to orange when you use the turn signal. I like to keep everything plug and play and stock looking if i can for ease of maintenance so if the stuff from superbrightleds works just fine I would probably use that.

A big part of the problem nowadays is that Depo is the main supplier of the housing for the DRLs for most vendors. Their stuff isn't all that great. The bulbs for our DRLs have a bad habit of heat stressing them and causing cracks/water issues. So depending on how it goes for Darren I will probably try out what he has found or if I get antsy ill try it myself. My 2 year old Depo housings are looking pretty rough already and have multiple cracks and judging by how they run i'm betting they are heat related not rock or road debris.

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

I notice all you guys have Trans Ams which have smaller housing for the DRLs but what about a Formula which has a bigger housing for the DRLs, do you think I should go with LEDs also?

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I notice all you guys have Trans Ams which have smaller housing for the DRLs but what about a Formula which has a bigger housing for the DRLs, do you think I should go with LEDs also?
    LED are always worth it.

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

So, what set up do I all need?

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

I would presume that the socket, bulb, and relay are the same on all Firebird and T/A's, just the lenses are different which doesn't impact the LED change.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

This is what I have for install once my car is back with me ( Should be this Saturday!! ).

The only thing missing is an LED capable flasher. I sort of want to pull the original out and make sure of what I am ordering before I order the wrong flasher. Apparently our cars have two prongs. My car rapid flashes right now anyways so the LEDs shouldn't be a big deal hahah. Besides looking brighter and cleaner with better response time, and dissipating less heat temperature in the sealed housing.

The Zevo bulbs have a great reputation of being quality made ( Osram Sylvania ) and are starting to become off the shelf available. I saw them for $24.99 at Autozone the other day. Since I cant find a worthwhile deal online I will just buy from there next time. The bulb harness there to replace my burnt up passenger one is brand 'Standard' part #S585. According to RockAuto this is what our cars take.
    STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS S585 Tail Lamp Socket | RockAuto
    Last edited by DarrenWS6; 03-24-2016 at 12:03 PM.

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

Before and After pics?

Thread Information