90 Formula 350 questions

im looking at trading my 81 turbo trans am for a 90 350 tuned port injection formula 350.. were there any problems with this car? are they reliable? hows the gas mileage? anything i should know? thanks

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

I used to own a TPI 350 car. Wasn't a Formula though, it was a 88 GTA. Basically the same thing.

I loved that car. While not nearly as fast as the LS1 cars, 3rd gens are a blast to drive, esp. if it has the WS6 package.

For the most part it was pretty reliable. I got it with 64k on it, and had to replace the injectors and alot of sensors and the ECM. Once I got all those gremlins sorted out, it was very reliable. When it hit 95k, I sold it to my brother, who drove it for another two years with zero problems, till he spun it out and wrecked it.

One thing though...even with all the sensor problems I had with it, it never failed to start. It died on me once, because of the ECM, but even then after letting it sit for a while it got me home.

I always got about 16mpg with it on average. That's mixed driving, with a semi-heavy foot. I could get more on the highway, I think I got 22 on a trip once.

Valve seals tend to leak, check for a puff of blue smoke on startup.

Make sure there's no SES light, and if there is, try and check the codes. TPI problems can be tricky to chase down.

I'm sure I'm missing things, I haven't been in the 3rd gen scene in almost ten years. Check out www.thirdgen.org, there's more info there than you'll know what to do with.

thanks alot man.. right now im saving for an 02 ws6 but i figure i can get rid of my project and have somthin fun to drive while i save up

Thread Information