Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

black
    00 formula ws6

8 year/over 110k owner idiotic opinions

ok, bought my 2000 formula ws6 new. i logged on to ls1.com shortly thereafter and ran up hundreds of posts, lost them all when the system crashed or whatever happened later. here are a few observations, right or wrong. feel free to correct me, but i got to get this out...

1. the factory literature is a lie. it claims that the "air is force-fed" into the engine. forget the baffles in the hood for a second. there is an air filter between the hood air intake and the maf. any air flow at any speed coming in thru the hood nostril is running into a brick wall (air filter) before it goes into the motor. yah yah, i don't care if it is a low-restrictive filter. unless you got a blower between the hood intake and the filter so that the blower is sucking air in, nothing is getting force-fed. i had a bike once with a gear-driven supercharger between the air filter and intake manifold. now that was force-fed...air filter or not, air is going to get sucked in hard thru an air filter that is low-restrictive. the ram air hood is simply a fresh air intake, thats it.

2. that being said, unless you regularly run your car for times at the track and need every hp and tenth second, modifying your stock ws6 hood's intake (baffles) is a waste of time and effort. you may gain a tenth or two in the quarter mile, but you won't feel it on the street if this is where you regularly drive, altho you may feel a psychologically-induced gain. in the meantime, you will get to worry about water getting in and causing problems. i have been in several severe rainstorms, bad enough to have to pull over because the windshield wipers could not keep up. the last thing i want to do is worry about all that water pounding against hood spraying into my intake because i took the baffles out.

3. that being said, it is a good idea and a real gain (approx. 5-10 hp) to remove the stock air box (lid) and put in a real lid so that the air that is getting in can get straight into the maf without having to bounce all around in the noise air chambers the stupid factory put in on their box. and, despite what i wrote above, the bg system was and is still was a great product, providing you don't mind snapping in the rain baffles.

4. during the summer, remove the rubber gasket between your hood and the engine (just below the wipers). it will allow hot air from your motor to have an easy avenue of escape. if you don't think this is worth it, remove it anyway and then feel the air gap after the car has been run. you will feel the hot air just blasting out instead of being bottled up. run your a/c at the "max" setting...as the interior cools, this will draw in the cooler and cooler air from the inside of the car, so you don't have to worry about the hot outside air getting sucked inside.

5. unless you run at the track, forget all the c.s. methods of attempting to gain only one hp or two. you won't help your car or your times much. but you will be putting your car at risk. example: removing the maf screen...you may pick up a miniscule amount of hp (like one hp, if that), but now your motor has the danger of sucking in anything that gets by the air filter. nothing should, but freak things do happen.

6. forget all that excessive oil consumption and the associated home-brew fixes. just run 20-50 fully synthetic oil. i made this change many years ago. no more oil consumption really, about a half quart every 2,000 miles. another advantage is that you can go 10,000 miles between changes. and with going with 20-50 weight, my oil pressure has gone up 5-10 psi. it don't matter if you live in iceland or texas. fully synthetic oil will always flow the same, cold or not. if you don't believe it, take a bottle of regular dino oil and a bottle of full synthetic oil and put them in the freezer overnight. in the am, take them out and see which one flows and which one don't. as a side note, my car has now over 110k miles and has not blown up yet.

7. rear axle. forget all the gasket crap. the gasket route needs to be done only one time and this is the inital rear end fluid change for the first time. it has to be done because you have to get all that metal off the magnet during the wear-in period. after that, there is not going to be any more metal so why go thru all that gasket and scrapping stuff? just drain out as much as you can thru the fill hole and then pump the new stuff back in. it still takes over a quart and a half this way. use lucas or redline, they both contain the additives.

8. the spark plugs and ignitions are not the same as during the 60's. back then, we had to change the plugs about every 10,000 miles and you were lucky to get 100,000 miles out of an engine before it was wore out. these motors are different. don't worry about changing your plugs every year, unless you got a miss or your car feels doggy. you can easily go 50-100,000 miles before you have to change with little to no drop in performance.

9. your window motors and headlight motors and monsoon/cd player speakers are crap. they were designed to fail after the inital factory warranty.

ok folks, come on in here and tell me how i got it all wrong! i gotta let you know that it takes a big man to admit he is wrong (i am not a big man). in closing, let me say this to all my fellow formula owners....HEY! HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR TRANS-AM? (my reply is usually something like this..."sir, this is a formula" (always the same dumb look on their faces regarding that)..."you see, the formula is a low-key car that does its talking thru performance, not looks. the trans-ams have all that goofy ricey ground effects and spoilers and crap and their swinging, gold-chain wearing, polyester shirt open to the waist owners exit their cars snapping their fingers to sammy h. blasting out "TRANS-AM" on the cd player!

ok, if what i wrote earlier don't get my any abuse, that should! just kidding you guys.....mike

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I bought my 2000 Trans AM used, with 24k on it. 6 years and 114k on it now.

Window motors are crap but only one of mine have went out so far. The monsoon speakers work as well as if they were new. The CD player just went bad tho. The Headlight motors still work great.

The Stock 10 bolt is junk. Just upgraded to the Moser 9". Most of the suspension is "super cheap"

Air does leak around my drivers side window.
    My rear defrost doesnt work right...

"Ram Air" is a fairy tale. Its just a Cold Air Intake. Anyone who has any common sense knows this.
    It does help out on performance tho. It does give the WS6 an ass kick'n, kick ass look. No one can argue with that.

Any power you gain from your motor makes for a more enjoyable drive. Even if it is 1 or 2 hp. All mods you do to your car are just a piece to the puzzle. I wouldnt do them if they posed a possible problem like rain getting in my intake

Even At 101k when the dealership changed my spark plugs I didnt notice a change in performance.

I also own a 88 Formula WS6. It has the "ricer" spoiler just like my TA does. I wish it had the vents behind the wheels and the goofy ground effects. But it doesent but I also like it the way it is.
    I like my spoiler.
    I wanted a 4th gen Formula.

I live in Nebraska only ever had 1 thunderstorm/tornado that I had to stop and pull over for. That was cause of the wind blowing the sand that they were using to build up the new highway was blowing across the road. My windshield wipers have always kept up.

Usually I wear blue jeans and a t shirt... And Its normally Metallica that is blasting from my stereo.

But the biggest problem I have with my car is that every Ricer or 6 cylinder Mustang around thinks they can beat it. Everyone around here thinks that they put a cold air intake on their car and its bad ass...

The second biggest problem I have with it is sterotypes. They think cause you have a nice fast car that you beat the hell out of it everyday. Or you dive 100+ everywhere you go.

The 3rd biggest problem is that it gets called a Camaro. Its not an insult just frustrating even tho its basically the same car.

My T-tops dont leak and with just mostly minor maint. I havent really had any problems that were not expected. Overly I am happy with it.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by xzaero0 View Post
    The second biggest problem I have with it is sterotypes. They think cause you have a nice fast car that you beat the hell out of it everyday. Or you dive 100+ everywhere you go.
    omg...I hate this...recently, all of my friends have been giving me crap lately, mostly about speeding. I admit, I dive about 70-80 everywhere I go, depedning on whether I'm in a 55 or 65mph zone (15 over is about average for Maryland drivers). When I spun out 2 nights ago and hit a guardrail, I was highly upset and need of comforting (nice words), and all my friends and family have said since then is, "Well, maybe you'll slow down from now on." or "Stop speeding and these things won't happen." It's fucking pissing me off...

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

Interesting and valid opinions.

I've heard though that the headlight motors 98-02 are much better than the ones the LT1 cars had!

I also had an amusing kill once where a guy thought he was automatically going to walk my regular Trans Am (with y-pipe, catback and lid) with his stock Ram Air Trans Am.

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 2000LS1Bird View Post
    Interesting and valid opinions.

I've heard though that the headlight motors 98-02 are much better than the ones the LT1 cars had!

after 8 years of ownership and 60k+ miles i only replaced 1 window motor and 1 headlight motor on my 95 Formula LT1 car. prolly about the same ratio as the LS1 cars...

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

1. Yep, cool air only (helps if you actually get a box that's sealed off from the rest of the engine heat).

2. I don't plan on doing it either. If I want to go faster, I'll buy some more go-fast parts like headers. Not worth the trade off for me since it rains like no tomorrow here sometimes and that worries me.

3. Absolutely

4. Never heard about this one before, but I'm sure it has some validity since that would have the same effect as a hood designed to do that in the same location.

5. 1-2 hp gains are still something nice because they will add up. Some of the free mods though aren't exactly proven (mainly talking about the MAF screen). I wont do anything to my car that I can reverse or might put it in danger for a tiny gain (if any). So I wont be removing a MAF screen or cutting the baffles out any time soon. Some of the others seem like more trouble than it's worth for me. Like I said though, for those that want every little bit they can - little gains add up.

6. I run fully synthetic, but not that heavy. I don't have any noticable oil consumptions issues currently.

7. I haven't messed with that yet.

8. I say just pop one easy to get to out and look at it for signs of it being bad. If it's bad.. change it. Check them once a year, or if you suspect something is wrong sooner, imo. What they look like can tell you other things about your engine too that you need to know. Great indicaters! Good spark plugs and wires are worth the money too.

9. I don't think they were DESIGNED to fail (as in GM doing it on purpose); but the window motors are small for such large windows. My passenger side one stops working all the time and I have to wait for it to work again and gradually roll it up CM at a time.. sucks.. My speakers aren't the best - of course I have a Kicker comp. and Infinity speakers and stuff in my other car so other stuff usually sounds bad to me (spoiled). Got a couple right now that rattle a bit and it's not very bassy, but I mainly listen to rock in my WS6 so it's not much of a problem. I DO plan on getting nicer speakers and headunit one day though. I have zero problems with my headlight motors currently *crosses fingers*.

I normally wear blue jeans, tshirt + hoodie, and a hat or beanie, and some skate shoes. *shrug* I listen to classic rock, some modern rock, punk music, indie rock, etc + some hip hop (VERY little, most of it sucks, but there are few songs I like), some electronic (mostly trance or club - I MAKE electronic music myself so I do like it), and a bit of misc junk that I might happen to be in the mood for. I'm not very red neck at all though, and don't really fit the stereotype you mentioned. I do admit I am guilty of playing that song in my WS6 before, LMAO

Oh boy do I hate the speeding stereotype! Not only for cops glaring at me when they see me even sitting still, but for the idiots that get pissed off at me when I am obeying the speed limit and get right right up on my cars' ass like they want to bump me just to see me speed up and see the car go (and try to follow me no matter how fast I drive). I love my car too much to slam the brakes.. I usually poke around for good gas mileage when just commuting to school and back - unless I am passing someone going stupid-slow on the road like they are drunk and trying to hide it. First gear to Fourth Gear to Sixth Gear usually, and that still leaves traffic behind me so I know that doesn't bother anyone.

Oh.. and I like that big spoiler on my car.. It's factory so it isn't ricey, car looks better with it - looks funny with it off, and I don't like Firebird spoilers at all (sorry).

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

at least you did'nt get asked what year mustang is that. i had that happen one time, and i wanted to rip that ladies head off. j/k

NBM
    2002 Trans Am WS 6 M6

One of my friends asked me what mods had been done on the Sunfire to make it look like that when I showed him some pictures of possible cars I wanted to buy. I had to kill him, I had no choice.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Orderd mine new and have owned it for almost 10 yrs 120K miles (matter of fact it's Birthday is Tomorrow) I didn't order the WS6 Pkg cause even in Jan `98 I knew it made Zero HP vs the base Car. I admit I do have a Debaffled Ram Air Hood but would you pass it up for $250. Did the FRA and EGR mods,
    Replaced one headlight and one Window motor, replaced both door speakers and both sailpanel Subs. Swapped to Poly motor and trans mounts Axed the sloppy Shifter for a Hurst Billet Plus. Still rides on the Original clutch.

And yes I've heard the Nice Trans Am comments before.
    It gets old trying to explain the differences so I have a few quotes I use.

Formula ; Everything a Trans Am is without all the Fluff.

Formula ; The True No Frills Performance Car from Pontiac.

Sorry No Disrespect to Trans Am Owners.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    Orderd mine new and have owned it for almost 10 yrs 120K miles (matter of fact it's Birthday is Tomorrow) I didn't order the WS6 Pkg cause even in Jan `98 I knew it made Zero HP vs the base Car. I admit I do have a Debaffled Ram Air Hood but would you pass it up for $250. Did the FRA and EGR mods,
    Replaced one headlight and one Window motor, replaced both door speakers and both sailpanel Subs. Swapped to Poly motor and trans mounts Axed the sloppy Shifter for a Hurst Billet Plus. Still rides on the Original clutch.

And yes I've heard the Nice Trans Am comments before.
    It gets old trying to explain the differences so I have a few quotes I use.

Formula ; Everything a Trans Am is without all the Fluff.

Formula ; The True No Frills Performance Car from Pontiac.

Sorry No Disrespect to Trans Am Owners.

that hurt FB...

my big pet peave is people calling the 10 bolt shitty without knowing why the 10 bolt breaks and saying we should have has 12 bolts stock

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    that hurt FB...

my big pet peave is people calling the 10 bolt shitty without knowing why the 10 bolt breaks and saying we should have has 12 bolts stock
    Its not shitty.. just not designed for the power our cars are or will be putting down.. that being said.. We had a guy running 10s on his long before his went out.. and we had a bone stock car blow his... mine went doing Donuts at Year One.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

well, to the first point it is not a lie. these cars can get to around 150mph before the speed limiter. at those speeds, there would be forced air. any ram air is only good for a road course, not drag.

White with Black Stripe
    1995 Trans Am

I just really hate it when those guys who know nothing about cars just keep talking and talking complete bs. Like a friend of mine was asking about my 95 trans am and then said

"well its not nearly as fast as a camaro right?"

I explained that they're sister cars and all the internals are exactly the same, thus both cars are just as fast

what pissed me off is that he still doubted me!

shit happens and so do dumb people

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by rbaksi View Post
    I just really hate it when those guys who know nothing about cars just keep talking and talking complete bs. Like a friend of mine was asking about my 95 trans am and then said

"well its not nearly as fast as a camaro right?"

I explained that they're sister cars and all the internals are exactly the same, thus both cars are just as fast

what pissed me off is that he still doubted me!

shit happens and so do dumb people
    what year is that guy living in? f-body's have shared the same motors since 1982.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

I love formulas equally with trans ams . . . its like a hot brunette that has a hot blonde sister, you may just prefer one or the other or both . . . wait what?
    2000 TA, A4, LS6 intake, Magnaflow, WS9 hood, BMR STB, UMI boxed SFC, Spohn LCA, 9" Ford
    1998 TA Vert,​ NBM, M6, Flowmaster, WS6 hood, WS6 airbox, C6 wheels, UMI SFC, BMR STB
    1998 Bird, Black, V6, A4, 18" 077's, Wings West Body Kit
    1980 Formula, NBM, 402BB, cam, DR timing, LT headers, 3" TD w/ flowmasters, TH350
    1980 TA, Black, 301, bone stock

White with Black Stripe
    1995 Trans Am

^^^^^^

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

well...i like the ta look...but i also like the firebird look to
    makes people think when they see a formula out run a stang
    they keep thinking "how does that thing out run a mustang?"
    and the music that comes out of my car...well i mainly play stuff from the 50's through the 70's
    classical/christian aswell lol
    boy this sure is a fun thread to read

Black
    2000 Trans Am

The headlight motor on my 88 Formula went out about 2 years ago. It goes down just fine but you have to open the hood and crank it up, if you dont use it everyday. It took me hitting a deer in the middle of a bridge- it slid across the hood and took the whole light piece completely flush off of the hood-to break it. The bad part is it estimate was $480 to fix it and my insurance ded is $500.

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

when i was looking around for a "Trans Am"...ide hate it everytime the car dealer was like.."what can we do to put you in this FIREBIRD today?"

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk01 View Post
    when i was looking around for a "Trans Am"...ide hate it everytime the car dealer was like.."what can we do to put you in this FIREBIRD today?"
    well technically a trans am is a firebird

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information