Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    1995 Trans Am 6 Speed

5th Generation Firebird?

GM released the new 2007 / 2008 Camaro Concept car this week. But, have not heard if Pontiac will get use it for possible Firebird? Anyone hear anything?

2002 Trans Am

No word, but here's a photoshop of one that I've seen. This would rock if they made one like this.

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

Unless GM is just waiting to see what Ford will come out with and is going to suprise them with a new Firebird, I dont see it ever happening. GM does not need 2 cars to compete with the Mustang. Doesent make sense to make 2 when they can mass produce 1 car alot cheaper.

Metallic Navy Blue
    1998 Trans Am

My guess is that if the Camaro sells well they would probably consider making a new Firebird, but like Capster said, they only need one to compete, and costs would be lower, and considering the state GM seems to be in these days...demand would have to be HUGE I think, plus now the GTO is back, I dont see Pontiac having TWO muscle cars in the lineup unfortunately

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

I think you underestimate the Solstice. I know it is normally 170hp. A GXP is comeout that makes 260, that is alot for a 2600 pound car. Also Mallett has a LS2 version that starts at $31k. That is alot of bang for that kind of buck. If interested just go to google and put in mallett

Metallic Navy Blue
    1998 Trans Am

Oh I agree about the solstice, that thing is gonna haul ass, but its not a muscle car. I wasnt aware they were gonna offer it with the LS2, but you said Mallett, meaning the LS2 wont be a factory option?

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

No it will only be offered through a Mallett , only going to build 100 a year is what they say on the site.

Blue
    2007 Kawasaki ZX-14

Firebird

I read an article that was similar to what someone else in this thread said. They will bring back the camaro, but not the firebird b/c Pontiac already has the GTO. Now, we can all contemplate and speculate about that fact, but If Chevy has the Corvette and the Camaro, why can't Pontiac have the GTO and Firebird?? Who knows, but that would be awesome if they brought back our beloved firechicken with a 400hp LS2 in it and the build quality of the new GTO. I say bring it on GM.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

I agree. The Firebirds have always sold good for Pontiac. If they go to that body they are talking about I dont know why not. I keep saying they dont have to call them firebirds if there is a issue with the name .

Metallic Navy Blue
    1998 Trans Am

Initially I heard everywhere that the 'Camaro' name was an issue, but turns out (obviously)they resolved it somehow, or then again maybe it never really was an issue and everyone was wrong about it. In any case, the Camaro is clearly coming back, and if thats all we get Im still happy to have GM muscle with a muscle car look (unlike that damn GTO) I love Firebirds though, I've always liked the way they looked over the Camaro, especially when the 4th gen came to be..and then the WS6 was HOT! So I would love to see them bring back a Firebird...maybe we should start a petition and get the whole LS1 community to sign in hehe..I guess only time will tell right?

Blue
    2007 Kawasaki ZX-14

Camaro

I wouldn't say the Camaro is a sure thing, Lutz is just putting it out there for public opinion at this time to see if they really wanna build it. To me, the Camaro is boring. Now, a 2008 Firebird Trans Am WS6 would be awesome! Quatroport and all. Give it about 430 Hp (30 over stock); FFS GM, beef up the rear end and call it a day. MHO

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

I thinl it has a loy yo do if the Camaro sells well. I mean it has always been , win on sunday sell on monday. Pontiac is already raceing the GTO , and doing ok with it. In all the other sports car raceing the Vette is kicking seriouse BUTT. I know there is a lot of talk on this board about 5th gen. There has to be many more out there willing to put down the cash. Like it or not it has to do well as V6 car. Look at the mustang. What you see most is v6. I would love to have a Firebird that has a kinda first gen, thing going on. But sales will have to be very good for Pontiac to have to start one. Remember the Grand AM was like the 5 best seller. I think the G6 is doing well also.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

I thinl it has a loy yo do if the Camaro sells well. I mean it has always been , win on sunday sell on monday. Pontiac is already raceing the GTO , and doing ok with it. In all the other sports car raceing the Vette is kicking seriouse BUTT. I know there is a lot of talk on this board about 5th gen. There has to be many more out there willing to put down the cash. Like it or not it has to do well as V6 car. Look at the mustang. What you see most is v6. I would love to have a Firebird that has a kinda first gen, thing going on. But sales will have to be very good for Pontiac to have to start one. Remember the Grand AM was like the 5 best seller. I think the G6 is doing well also.

RGAllen26
    I agree......If they made this, I would mortgage the family to get one. Sounds cold but I like the concept.The concept Camaro looks too much like a Caddy.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

GMs vice president of sales said Pontiac was always interested in haveing a rear wheel performance car.I still thin how sales go for the Camaro will determin if a Firebird will be on its way. In a thread at lt1ls1 said the new camaro looks a lot better in person than it does in photos.

RGAllen26
    I think that if GM has paid attention to the growing numbers of "Baby Boomers'(which unfortunately or fortunately I am just a part of) they will see that there is a huge number of people that would like to see the muscle car era return with as much competition as ther was back in the day. The Challenger was a car that I had always wanted, but could never afford; and sure can't afford today for the one I would want. It sure looks like Mopar is gonna bring it back.The "5" generation F body ( if it happens) would be an awesome answer to that. The "Stang" has never left, so I'll leave it out of this commentary. ..............Still lovin my T/A tho

Big Nasty

Artic White
    1998 Trans Am

Whenever questioned about bringing back the F-body's, Lutz has repeatedly said that the Firebird is dead and will not return. The writing has been on the wall for a while. GM is running itself into the ground. I would not be surprised one bit to see Pontiac and Buick axed within the next few years. Sooner or later you will only have Chevrolet and Cadillac. A buddy and I were out and about the other day taking a torque converter over to a shop On the way there and back we saw a total of six new mustangs but of course the general knows best: there is no need for a RWD/V8/four seat/pony car.
    98 TA LS1/M6........79 Formula 400/TH400
    "I got the shakes that'll make you quake! I got the fries that'll cross your eyes! I got that burgers that'll... I just got burgers." - Cheeseburger Eddie

RGAllen26
    Ah yes...The general knows best.... Lets all run out and get us a FWD Impala SS...LOL....Hey Shark...Have you done Car d' lane up in CDA...I moved from there a couple of years ago.....Still got alot of friends up there.

Big Nasty

Artic White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by RGAllen26
    Hey Shark...Have you done Car d' lane up in CDA...I moved from there a couple of years ago.....Still got alot of friends up there.
    You know, I haven't. I've always heard that it was pretty nice, though. I've got a few friends and up there also. This summer I will hit the Emmett car show and cruise. Ever been to it? They get a pretty decent turn out; high number of "real" rides with hardly any trailer queens.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

The baby boomers want the cars today that they remember from the muscle car era. Lets face it when you have a muscle car and get rid of it you remember all the things you liked about it, not the things that was bad. Me and my buddy get into this all the time with my 4th en and he is restoring a 65 GTO. That is why retro is the "rage" today.

Thread Information